• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Commentaries

Left the Bldg

• Members

For clarity - esword is primarily a bible program, but it has many commentaries available and many of them are free.
Also many dictionaries, and other resources.

You can download the program, then add on these resources, all for free.
If you don't like a commentary you just delete it.

• Members

Genesis is a good commentary on the fall of man and creation and the promises that shaped Israel

Exodus and Deuteronomy is a good commentary on the law

Leviticus is a good commentary on the ceremonial rituals that were a shadow of things to come

Hebrews is a good commentary on Leviticus

Romans is a good commentary on James

Revelation is a good commentary on Daniel and Zechariah

Matthew-John are good commentaries on the entire OT

Acts is a good commentary on the development of the church

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

• Members

Genesis is a good commentary on the fall of man and creation and the promises that shaped Israel

Leviticus is a good commentary on the ceremonial rituals that were a shadow of things to come

I realize Dr. Ach is joking but I have heard pretty much the same from others who meant it. 

If other men's writings are not necessary in giving good sermons then why do preachers have libraries.  People who say the only book they need is the bible and then quote a line that obviously comes from someone elses mind makes me wonder about their honesty.  Why do people read commentaries, references, and history.  Because they are humble enough to realize that they perchance do not have the greatest mind in the history of the world and they might, just might miss something.  I never do . . . . but some people might. :unsure: 

So one should never apologize for using other men's ideas.  Of course don't plagerize.

God bless,

Larry

God bless,

Larry

• Members

I tried that.  I told myself I would not read any other writings except the Bible and let the HS teach me but I think I've come to realize that God uses people to help other people.

• Administrators

I tried that.  I told myself I would not read any other writings except the Bible and let the HS teach me but I think I've come to realize that God uses people to help other people.

Much truth in that, Laura!  There are so many godly people who have gone before us from whom we can glean understanding, it's a shame to let it go to waste!

We do use commentaries.  We like Oliver B. Greene very much.  We have a number of different ones, not all with which we agree.  But there it is, written by man, read by man. There's not going to be 100% agreement.  But it does help to give insight to passages.

• Members

It kinda depends on what you're looking for. There are single-volume commentaries that try to cover the whole Bible and there are others that deal with one book or a set of books. There are some that are devotional in nature and then there are some that are exegetical in nature (heavy use of Greek and Hebrew). Also, some commentary series are excellent for one book and almost useless for another.

• Members

It kinda depends on what you're looking for. There are single-volume commentaries that try to cover the whole Bible and there are others that deal with one book or a set of books. There are some that are devotional in nature and then there are some that are exegetical in nature (heavy use of Greek and Hebrew). Also, some commentary series are excellent for one book and almost useless for another.

I'm kind of looking for something that covers the whole Bible so that while I'm reading, I can go to the commentary if I don't quite understand the passage and need some deeper insight.  Does that make sense?  For instance, I was reading about praying in the Holy Spirit...well, I wanted a more in depth understanding of what that means.

• Members

I'm kind of looking for something that covers the whole Bible so that while I'm reading, I can go to the commentary if I don't quite understand the passage and need some deeper insight.  Does that make sense?  For instance, I was reading about praying in the Holy Spirit...well, I wanted a more in depth understanding of what that means.

It definately does. I'll look through what I have when I get home tonight (I forget the names of most of them...)

• Members

Hey LJ, my wife has a Life Application Study Bible (KJV of course) That has a lot of information on the same page as the text. I use the old scoffield study bible even though I don't agree with his stance on the gap theory and evolution under Genesis 1:1. Commentaries are nice to have to see other peoples views of a passage of scripture but it's just that.....ideas of man. They come in handy to see something in scripture that you may have not seen before. The Bible is truely the "living" word of God in the sense that you can get multiple meanings from one piece of scripture. (Now don't be hatin' on that last sentence... let me explain) In exodus 12:5 we all know the lamb was the sacrificial lamb of the first year. Now when you relate that to Jesus He was truely the lamb of the FIRST YEAR a male without blemish. A.D. did't start until Christ was born. The FIRST YEAR was the year Christ was born. Ain't God good right down to the last detail.

• Members

I rarely use commentaries now - I look up specific questions on the internet, but for many years I used Matthew Henry, who is available through the Blue Letter Bible along with many others.

The sort of commentary you are looking for - brief notes below the text - will be helpful up to a point, but don't trust the interpretations only the information. I use a cross-reference Bible & look up related & parallel passages.

I strongly recommend looking closely at the opening verses to establish the context - date, king (or other), purpose of writing, etc. 

Archived