• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Welcome To The South Facts

OLD fashioned preacher

• Administrators

You know you are from the Pacific Northwest if:

9. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and 
Veneto's.  Yessir!
10. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.  Yessir!

11. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima 
and Willamette.  It's funny when people from the midwest see Sequim they always pronounce it See-Kwim, prOBably because of how sequin is pronounce.  My grandparents retired to Sequim back in the day, and we lived there for a while as well. I went to one year of high school there.  My mom lives there now.  The Sunshine Belt.  Yes, it rains, but it is truly the most temperate place in the state.  Absolutely love it!  Puyallup - when we lived in Seattle, the school I went to always went to the Puyallup fair every year.  Mom lived in Yakima when she was in high school.  And we visited there a couple of times.  Good apples from that area.  

12. You consider swimming an indoor sport. Well, I don't know - we swam in many a lake and the ocean when we lived in Seattle.
17. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation After having lived in Indiana for 25 years, I can honestly say I truly miss it when the humidity is actually in the form of rain instead of just suffocation!
22. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.  Nah, no socks.  I wear sandals for as long as I can....

I didn't see this when you first posted it.  :clapping:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ground hog is good but most people have stopped eating it, its not as greasy as coon.

We had a big church supper where we had ramps, soup beans, corn bread, fatback, eggs, slaw, fried taters, and lots of baked goods.

This is a wiki photo but most fatback looks like this fried.

Young people here want fast food, they don't know good eatin'.

• Members

ground hog is good but most people have stopped eating it, its not as greasy as coon.

We had a big church supper where we had ramps, soup beans, corn bread, fatback, eggs, slaw, fried taters, and lots of baked goods.

This is a wiki photo but most fatback looks like this fried.

Young people here want fast food, they don't know good eatin'.

what are ramps?

• Members

to you southerners: what is fatback? what's it made of? my black friend was over here yesterday and she was talking about how she missed fatback and turkey wings. She said it was like bacon but didn't know for sure. Then we called walmart see if they sold it, they do but never know when they get it in. I know what chitlins are now and will never eat them! I lived down south and my ex- fiancé always told everyone I was from Illinoise. :)

Fat Back is salt cured pork  that's fried very crispy. It's pure fat with a layer of skin that's sliced like bacon. Deep fried is the only way to cook it really. It's almost like pork skins on the outside but smooth textured, soft, and salty is the rest of it. It does usually come with it's own defibulator or cardiologist recommendation. It's really good if fixed right and unedible if it's not. In hard to find areas ask for old salt pork. It's pure white with a little brown before cooked.

• Administrators

Ramps stink! When we lived in WV, my brother and his friend used to eat them before getting on the school bus.  No-one wanted to sit by them!  :ROFL:  They are supposed to be quite tasty, though - my dad and brother loved them.

I'm not crazy about fatback. 

• Members

My FIL and all his sons love Orca.  It is something that I can't eat.  It doesn't stink but is so slimy to the taste for me.  I would eat it if desperate for food, but would have to choke it down.  ;)

While I am used to some WV food, lots of these things I will have to get familiar with.

• Members

My FIL and all his sons love Orca.  It is something that I can't eat.  It doesn't stink but is so slimy to the taste for me.  I would eat it if desperate for food, but would have to choke it down.   ;)

While I am used to some WV food, lots of these things I will have to get familiar with.

I think you meant to say OCRA unless you are an Alaska native. :frog:

God bless,

Larry

• Administrators

I never knew that Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup has okra in it (never had orca...hehe) until I was an adult. I loved that soup as a child - haven't had it in dogs' years, but I think I would still like it.

candle - if you like beans, cornbread, fried taters, you'll be fine.  Ramps aren't universally eaten throughout WV, although most folk who live in the hollers like 'em.  There was nothing my dad liked better than beans and cornbread. If mom fixed fried taters too, he was one happy fella. (and the leftover cornbread was used for dessert...pour syrup on it and he loved it).

• Members

I think you meant to say OCRA unless you are an Alaska native. :frog:

God bless,

Larry

No, it is Orca whale (the killer ones).  They are not on the endangered species list like the white whale.  My FIL gets it at a butcher shop in a neighboring town.  You can also get it at a place called the "West Side Market" near downtown Cleveland.

Actually, I love Okra.  I used to eat it growing up.  I used travel in our camper growing up, and stop at truck stops along the way.  My whole family loved it.  My hubby doesn't care for it, though.  

Archived