• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Welcome To The South Facts

OLD fashioned preacher

• Members

You are not lying about the mosquitoes in N.C.  I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there, and found there are two types of mosquitoes there; the ones that fly right through a screen door, and the ones that stop and open it first. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My hubby is a southern boy at heart.  He uses the word supper and calls pop, "soda."  I have been saying soda for years b/c of him.  Supper has been rubbing off on me, too.   :wink    I hear the word "reckon" from the black Christians in my area.  Also, my church is considered a partial hillbilly church.  It is very down to earth big Biblical words are mispronounced by my pastor sometimes.  He always asked me to correct him, even when he was the assistant pastor, but I never have.  His dad's roots (my first pastor) are in West Virginia.

When we move down to southeastern, OH we will be getting closer to the south.  The church is located in WV, as of now.  Lots of great people in that area. 

• Members

I live in Georgia, and I can attest to the truth of the OP!

One thing that I've noticed in my area...a lot of folks add an "s" on the end of the names of businesses that don't end with an "s". Such as...

I bought this at Walmarts.

Heard a sermon once against making Bart Simpsons your hero.

Anishinaabe

• Members

You are not lying about the mosquitoes in N.C. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there, and found there are two types of mosquitoes there; the ones that fly right through a screen door, and the ones that stop and open it first.

Semper Fi.

Anishinaabe

• Members

You are not lying about the mosquitoes in N.C.  I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there, and found there are two types of mosquitoes there; the ones that fly right through a screen door, and the ones that stop and open it first. 

:nuts:

• Members

I live in an odd area. We are in California, though the most conservative part, in the NE. Our town was built around an Army depot in WW2, and a lot of people came from the south to work here, so it has a somewhat southern flavor to it. On one side of the valley we have Skedaddle Mnt, the other side, Saddleback, (no, not the Rick Warren one). One ares of our town is called Oakie Flats. We often give directions areoun that area using the "Big Ugly Rock" as a major landmark, (we're mostly sand, so a big rock is rare. Its actually an old coral formation from when this entire valley was the northern tip of Lake Lahontan, an ancient inland sea, prOBably a remnant of the eaters receeding from the flood). While there was, in the old days, a large black community, and the whites and blacks worked together, ate together, kids played together, and they all fellowshipped together as equals, even before the civil rights movement.

Sadly, we have gone from a town of 5,000 to maybe 800 today, with the military leaving. The depot is still open but all civilians, like me, working there. We are a shadow of what we once were.

"I live in an odd area. We are in California"

You do realize you could have stopped your post right there..., right?

• Members

to you southerners: what is fatback? what's it made of? my black friend was over here yesterday and she was talking about how she missed fatback and turkey wings. She said it was like bacon but didn't know for sure. Then we called walmart see if they sold it, they do but never know when they get it in. I know what chitlins are now and will never eat them! I lived down south and my ex- fiancé always told everyone I was from Illinoise. :)

• Members

I've lived here all my life and never ate chitlins or possum. We have eaten "cracklins" which are a snack food consisting basically of deep fried "fatback" I think...and cracklin bread is cracklins mixed into fried corn bread.

• Members

Though some of them ain't got no great voices, they shore kin make great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NUGpwPQ1PSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLBF9FC1FBB2B843B3&v=VwZi-6iOW54

God bless,

Larry

• Moderators

to you southerners: what is fatback? what's it made of? my black friend was over here yesterday and she was talking about how she missed fatback and turkey wings. She said it was like bacon but didn't know for sure. Then we called walmart see if they sold it, they do but never know when they get it in. I know what chitlins are now and will never eat them! I lived down south and my ex- fiancé always told everyone I was from Illinoise. :)

When butchering a hog, the fatty layer along the backbone from just behind the neck to just shy of the loins. You remove from the skin for rendering the fat into lard, keep attached to the tissue and muscle along the back for "slab bacon", keep attached to the skin but not the meat for pork rinds.

Fatback is great seasoning when cooked in with your peas (blackeyes, crowders, zippers, etc), pork rinds can be made into cracklins for cornbread.

BTW: I don't like possum, but BBQ coon is good (armadillo makes good chili meat).

• Members

In my opinion, the worst, most numerous, and most relentless mosquitoes are found in northern Scandinavia, northern Russia, and Canada.

American jokes about 'state birds' have nothing on these creatures.

• Members

My hubby is a southern boy at heart.  He uses the word supper and calls pop, "soda."  I have been saying soda for years b/c of him.  

For years I called it 'pop', because that was what it was called in the local dialect in which Mrs. Arbo and I lived. Then we moved to northern Wisconsin. 'Pop' is soda. 'Faucets' are spickets(sp?). 'Stop lights' are stop-and-go lights to some. Then there is the 'sparnfarckle'...I do not even know how to spell that one other that phonetically.

If I were not born to an American Mother, and taught English as a child, I am not sure I could do it without going nuts.

Archived