• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Any Guesses As To What...

• Members

the thorn was in the Apostle Paul's flesh?

"And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.  8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.  9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficent for thee:  for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake:  for when I am weak then am I strong." ~ 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Thoughts anyone?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am wondering if there is a deeper meaning, John.  And, why didn't the Lord remove it?  I mean, does the Lord not remove things like illnesses from our lives in order to keep us humble?  I am thinking the Apostle Paul had an illness of some sort.

• Members

It doesn't say he was given an illness, but "a messenger of Satan to buffet 'him'".

Could this have been a devil (demon) assigned to Paul which God allowed to fight him more than before? Could it have been someone such as the smith, used of the devil to fight against Paul?

I've heard both as possibilities; along with many other things but most of them ignore the "messenger of Satan" detail.

• Members

It doesn't say he was given an illness, but "a messenger of Satan to buffet 'him'".

Could this have been a devil (demon) assigned to Paul which God allowed to fight him more than before? Could it have been someone such as the smith, used of the devil to fight against Paul?

I've heard both as possibilities; along with many other things but most of them ignore the "messenger of Satan" detail.

I understand what the scripture is saying, John.  However, I am asking if there is a deeper meaning.  I ask this because many Christians believe there is.  I suppose I should just answer them with what the scripture plainly says, right?  Then again, they will still ask for a hidden meaning.  ;)

• Members

If there is a "hidden meaning", and God hid it, we aren't going to find it!

I try to stick with the plain and simple meaning of Scripture when possible.

There are some folks who get fixated on certain things and try to build or create things that aren't there.

It's rather common for someone to have something happen to them and they claim it's their "thorn in flesh".

Then someone will go on and on claiming they know for sure that Paul had an eye disease; and some go so far as to believe any eye problem is a "thorn in the flesh".

I think the Lord simply gave the devil a little more rope, as it were, to fight against Paul; which would have served to keep Paul relying upon the Lord and help keep him humble.

That said, that's just a guess as well, since Scripture doesn't go into detail.

• Members

I think the general consensus is that Paul had bad eyesight.  This is due to...

Galatians 4:15
Where is then the blessedness ye spake of? for I bear you record, that, if it had been possible, ye would have plucked out your own eyes, and have given them to me.

...and...

Galatians 6:11
Ye see how large a letter I have written unto you with mine own hand.

The thought is, because Paul had bad eyes, he had to write his letters large enough for him to read.  I personally don't think that's the case; I think he was referring to the length of the letter rather than the size of the actual letters.  

I'm not saying that I ascribe to his thorn in the flesh being his eyesight...just telling what seems to be the general thoughts on it.  I ascribe to this being his thorn in the flesh...it was...I DON'T KNOW!

As far as a deeper meaning...I think it may simply be that by Paul having this "thorn in the flesh", Jesus Christ would get the glory from Paul's labors rather than Paul. 

• Members

Thanks, NN.  I have heard that, as well.  Wasn't Paul blinded for three days when he was saved on The Road to Damascus?  I have read when he might have had problems with his eyes, such as cataracts.

I have also read where he might have had seizures, in the form of Epilepsy.

• Members

Yes, that's one of the most popular choices, the "bad eyes".

That's still a pretty big stretch, especially since it's still a common expression to say one would pluck their eyes out for someone or they would give their right arm.

Also, the big letters could have simply been his way of doing what John Hancock would become famous for; that of boldly writing in large letters so everyone could see and know and fear not.

Again, it all comes down to speculation. Maybe one of the speculation is correct, or none of them are. Really, it doesn't matter because if it did, God would have said what it was.

• Members

Yes, that's one of the most popular choices, the "bad eyes".

That's still a pretty big stretch, especially since it's still a common expression to say one would pluck their eyes out for someone or they would give their right arm.

Also, the big letters could have simply been his way of doing what John Hancock would become famous for; that of boldly writing in large letters so everyone could see and know and fear not.

Again, it all comes down to speculation. Maybe one of the speculation is correct, or none of them are. Really, it doesn't matter because if it did, God would have said what it was.

I agree that God would have said what it was in His Word, John.  Speculation is fun, though.  ;)

• Members

I had always thought it was due to his eyesight as well because other people wrote his letters for him.  In Galatians he indicates how large he writes the benediction in his own hand.

That seems to be the general concensus, Laura.  I always like to contemplate these things b/c sometimes the Lord doesn't heal people.  It makes me wonder if I will ever be healed of my Epilepsy.

Archived