• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

Jeffrey

Hello

Live in the Chicagoland area, though I was raised in Cape Cod.

We also live in the Chicagoland area.  Actually in Northwest Indiana.  But we are less than an hour from Chicago (well, if the traffic doesn't snarl  :nuts: ), so we are considered Chicagoland area.  I'm really glad we aren't actually in Illinois, though.

I was born in Seattle.  It's a small world - east coast/west coast now in the midwest.  :o

By the way, while you may not realize it, the term 'Geez" is a shortening of the name of Jesus, and can be construed as using His name in vain. Please lets be careful in our speech, and keep our reigns upon our tongues.

I have recognized that in myself and made an apology-lets all be careful and gentle in our speech.

So you are going to ignore the question rather than admit you have standards as well?

I would be pretty certain that your church would not let someone sing a special wearing only a bikini.
You can say what you like but that is exactly the kind of standard you deride others for, just the line is drawn in a different position.

The point is that EVERYONE has standards they accept. EVERYONE.
Even criminals have standards they hold too - they just draw the line differently.

The argument is never about having standards per se, it is actually about one person not liking where another person has drawn the line.

What time is the show...  :)  at Skin Baptist church. :eye:

Good luck with that.  I see some already took out the claws.

I know, seriously I'm not looking for a fight. I have learned that I am not changing anyone opinion. I'm just wanted to place to hang out

Yeah, maybe so. I admit to having come on a bit stronger than I meant to, and let me apologize for it, Jeffrey.  Not that I repudiate what I said, but in the way I said it.
 But there are other connotations to the name, as well, that maybe few are familiar with, and maybe that's what bugged me. I suppose it wasn't the intention.

Anyways, welcome aboard, Jeffrey, and look forward to some good, fruitful discussions with your input and persepctives.

No problem brother, I understand. And I really aprreciate your post. Thank you

I know, seriously I'm not looking for a fight. I have learned that I am not changing anyone opinion. I'm just wanted to place to hang out

I will have a cold drink with you. :) you like dominos.

Edited by The Glory Land

As I said, let's move on...there was dissension on both sides, an apology has been issued, the name has been changed. Now, let's be mature adults and move on. Thank you.

As they say in Hollywood, "names have been changed to protect the innocent"

Sorry! I couldn't resist :p

By the way, while you may not realize it, the term 'Geez" is a shortening of the name of Jesus, and can be construed as using His name in vain. Please lets be careful in our speech, and keep our reigns upon our tongues.

I have recognized that in myself and made an apology-lets all be careful and gentle in our speech.

Are you serious???  I thought it was short for gee wiz, whatever that means.  God knows in my heart I was not taking his name in vain.  Come on now...this is nitpicking.

Are you serious???  I thought it was short for gee wiz, whatever that means.  God knows in my heart I was not taking his name in vain.  Come on now...this is nitpicking.

Actually, it is a slang for the name of Jesus. I'm sure God knows that you were not taking His name in vain.  Others, however, cannot see the heart.  And, sorry if you think it's nitpicking, but when even the world states that it stands for Jesus, we have to be careful of our words.  Thank you for respecting that.   (I don't know what dictionary you used, but the official language of Ethiopia is Amharic.  Ge'ez is the script used for several of the languages used there...not quite the same thing.  :) )

That's why I initially said you probably didn't know it-a comment was made, and I knew you had spoken in innocency-you have no history of language issues, and I wasn't trying to nit-pick. But since something was said in another place, not important by whom, I felt since I had to repudiate my poor manners, I would make mention here. No harm, no foul-all is good. As we know, we all come from kind of different places and backgrounds, but as I said, its all good.

There're a lot of exclamations in common usage that are in reality euphemisms or minced oaths.  I know many people seem to have no understanding of their origin or true meaning, but now that I know what they really stand for, it really bothers me to hear people using them. Especially Christians. If it's wrong for us to go around saying "God" or "Jesus" as an exclamation, it is just as wrong to say "Gosh", "Gee whiz", or "Jiminy Crickets".  (My apologies for having to write these down for y'all to read.   :icon_sad: ) They are fairly easy to spot. Most euphemistic explanations that start with a hard g sound are developed from God's name, those with the j sound come from the name of Christ, and those with a j/c combination are an obvious development of, well, you can figure it out. Even innocent sounding phrases like "Christopher Columbus", "for crying out loud" and "goodness gracious" have their origins from people trying to find ways to swear without offending societal sensibilities.  When it comes to it, they're really just the same as taking the Lord's Name in vain.  I've come to the conclusion that it's best to try to avoid all such exclamations, period.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gee_whiz

The following links to a list of such oaths, and explains their origin. Warning: there are a lot of offensive words on this list, religious and otherwise.  http://www.lutins.org/lists/minced_oaths.html

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone here uses such words knowing what they stand for. I'm not accusing anyone of having sworn. But to continue using them after learning their true meaning is, IMO, wrong. At the least it's offensive to other forum users (meaning me! :)). Please don't.

This has been one of the oddest threads on this site that I have read.  An introduction...to Jim Morrison... to Christian swearing.  If I did not know better, I'd wonder if there's a full moon.

HA, Jeffrey, you dodged a bullet on that risen name for sure. You, me and UK Mike know it. I suppose you are lucky that no one else remembered or had heard of that song.

Welcome back on a fresh start, I paid no attention to your previous posts assuming you'd be banned any second. thinking to myself "what could a knucklehead like this possibly have to add"