Jeffrey

Hello

You sound like a Manchester U fan,(Arsenal fan here)

Admittedly yes... though a bit begrudgingly since Ferguson retired.

So, Packers/Bears this weekend.  Let me offer my condolences now.  :nuts:

No, they don't seem right OFP.  Had I not been saved later in life, I would not have picked up on this screen name.  ;)  The name took me back a bit to my 20's.  "Something is rotten in Denmark", though.

its just a name. I wasn't really a big Doors fan growing up(more into alternative/metal). It was just a cool sounding name. I once named my pet dog "Mojo" when I was a boy and named my pet snake(boa) Mojo Rison when I was in my 20's.I guess I'm older now so I threw in "Mr" Mojo Rison.

Part of what I was discussing, IFB people would not understand the screen name and question my motives, more reformed people would get the joke.;)

Admittedly yes... though a bit begrudgingly since Ferguson retired.

So, Packers/Bears this weekend.  Let me offer my condolences now.  :nuts:

I grew up in Massachusetts; I'm a Patriots fan :clapping:

Jeffrey,

Anyone who loves Jesus and likes the Pats is my brother.

Amen, you cant be saved and like the Jets, :amen: ? :D

its just a name. I wasn't really a big Doors fan growing up(more into alternative/metal). It was just a cool sounding name. I once named my pet dog "Mojo" when I was a boy and named my pet snake(boa) Mojo Rison when I was in my 20's.I guess I'm older now so I threw in "Mr" Mojo Rison.

Part of what I was discussing, IFB people would not understand the screen name and question my motives, more reformed people would get the joke. ;)

Amen, you cant be saved and like the Jets, :amen: ? :D

Okay.  Thanks for clariying, MJR.  :)

Okay.  Thanks for clariying, MJR.  :)

I should have prefaced it by saying that all IFB ministries are not the same. All minstries are not the same for that matter!, but I draw from the three that I was involved in during my twenty years I was involved. I am not attacking any one group in any way.

My name is Jeffrey. New to this site. Live in the Chicagoland area, though I was raised in Cape Cod. The Lord saved me while attending SBC church, then jumped to a IFB church. After 20 years in that, I switched to a reformed Baptist church a few years ago. Look forward to thought provoking discussions and no I will not argue. Even though I am your quintessential East Coaster ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Interesting username. Is it a anagram?

my above post reminds me of a funny story! My ex-husband when he first went away to college, was very sheltered, etc. bookworm, in high school, didn't date, etc. They were like shared multi apartments or something, he came out one morning and one of the roommates was drinking some coffee and asked him if he "wanted some java?" He flipped out at this guy yelling he didn't want anything to do with drugs! Yelling at the guy to get out! :nuts:

Mojo: a magic power or magic spell

That's the definition my dictionary gives.

Well, I can't spell and have very little power so I think you have nothing to worry about ;)

Doors were a little before my time so I never would've known what it meant. I thought it had something to do with marijuana.

"He one mojo filter" and a few other things before your time that I would have preferred to have not had dredged up out of my memory.

My name is Jeffrey. New to this site. Live in the Chicagoland area, though I was raised in Cape Cod.

Regardless of the place of one's birth, if one chooses to live near Chicago he is guilty by association. :knuppel::nuts:

IFB churches tend to be more legalistic than reformed,(ex: dress,music)...

You mean they more closely follow the scriptures than the people in the reformed churches like?  Modest dress and Godly music standards are part of sanctification and protecting the members and children from evil. 

Part of what I was discussing, IFB people would not understand the screen name and question my motives, more reformed people would get the joke.

I'm an Independent Baptist and as soon as I saw your screen name that Doors' song played in my head.  Thanks a lot.  It's not a joke, Morrison was a rebel, a drunkard and a whoremonger to name a few; associating with the likes of him is a detriment to one's testimony in Christ.  Wise up.

After saying all that, welcome to the forum.  It is my hope that this group is a blessing to you and aids in your sanctification and walk with Christ as it has me.

You mean they more closely follow the scriptures than the people in the reformed churches like? 

I have become persuaded to believe reformed churches are following the Bible more than IFB church, not all because I've never been to all of them. Just the ones I was attending. 

Yes because if someone comes to church dressed inappropriately, that is really really evil!, Because Jesus was concerned about "standards" and not mercy or grace. {sarcasm}

First of all you have to tell me what is "modest dress/music" means,what It looks like. It means different things to different cultures in different parts of the country in different parts of the world. I have come to believe that the Gospel transcends cultures, music, dress, and their are meatier things to concern myself with at church than what a woman is wearing. I am a man, so it doesn't take much for me to get distracted by an attractive woman, regardless of what she is wearing.

I'm an Independent Baptist and as soon as I saw your screen name that Doors' song played in my head.  Thanks a lot.  It's not a joke, Morrison was a rebel, a drunkard and a whoremonger to name a few; associating with the likes of him is a detriment to one's testimony in Christ.  Wise up.

Funny, the pharisees said the same thing about Christ (Lk 15:2). You bring up testimony, I don't see that too much with the Lord Jesus. I see He was merciful and graceful towards us. When I finally started wrapping my mind around this, I really started to view my relationship with sinners in a different way. Matter of fact I don't think that we are to withdraw from culture, but rather engage it. Paul wrote to avoid brothers who weren't living right, not unbelievers,

1 Cor 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

Edited by Mr. Mojo Rison

After saying all that, welcome to the forum.  It is my hope that this group is a blessing to you and aids in your sanctification and walk with Christ as it has me.

Thank you, look forward to the fellowship :)

I have become persuaded to believe reformed churches are following the Bible more than IFB church, not all because I've never been to all of them. Just the ones I was attending. 

Yes because if someone comes to church dressed inappropriately, that is really really evil!, Because Jesus was concerned about "standards" and not mercy or grace. {sarcasm}

First of all you have to tell me what is "modest dress/music" means,what It looks like. It means different things to different cultures in different parts of the country in different parts of the world. I have come to believe that the Gospel transcends cultures, music, dress, and their are meatier things to concern myself with at church than what a woman is wearing. I am a man, so it doesn't take much for me to get distracted by an attractive woman, regardless of what she is wearing.

Within the church, we should be dealing with the saved. When dealing with an unbeliever, or even an immature believer, we extend grace. But with believers, we should expect modest.

What is modesty? Its not a fashion or a style, as might change from culture to culture, as you suggest; it is, instead, an attitude, a quiet and meek spirit that doesn't seek its own attention and desires. and that attitude will normally be accompanied by modest dress, regardless of the culture. A modest spirit understands modest clothing, be it a dress, a suit, pants and shirt, whatever.

A long dress is not necessarily modest, if it is accompanied by a loud spirit, or extravagance in styles and accessorizing. But I can guarantee, a truly modest spirit will not be seen in one wearing tight, form-fitting clothing, plunging necklines, short skirt hemlines or sleveless, revealing shirts.

Funny, the pharisees said the same thing about Christ (Lk 15:2). You bring up testimony, I don't see that too much with the Lord Jesus. I see He was merciful and graceful towards us. When I finally started wrapping my mind around this, I really started to view my relationship with sinners in a different way. Matter of fact I don't think that we are to withdraw from culture, but rather engage it. Paul wrote to avoid brothers who weren't living right, not unbelievers,  I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth ' (Joh 17:15-17) Yes, we deal with the lost of the world, but we are not to be a part of the world. You seem to ambrace a particularly nasty part of the world. Perhaps to help the lost, you should be repudiating the wickdness of such a man as Jim Morrison and his actions that have taken him to hell, rather than glorifying him by taking his name.

1 Cor 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

Jesus associated with the sinners, to seek the salvation of the sinners: he didn't glorify the sins or the sinners in their sin by taking their names: instead, He invites us to receive HIS new name in glory,

"Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name." Rev 3:2

What the comment he made was in reference to, was your apparent glorification of a wicked man who died in his sins, glorifying excess and sin even to the end. This isn't Christian, its carnality. You are a believer glorying in wickedness of a wicked man-it was this type that Paul told to remove from among them-why? because a little leaven leaventh the whole lump. You brought in something from the wicked pasts of believers, bringing to mind their past sins which are better left in the past, and you have justified yourself for it. "Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

"

G'day Mr Mojo - a quick question.

Do people come to your church wearing bikinis?
Would a woman be accepted if she arrived topless?

If your answer to either of these is no then you also believe in standards, you just place that standard in a different place...........
;)

Funny, the pharisees said the same thing about Christ (Lk 15:2). You bring up testimony, I don't see that too much with the Lord Jesus. I see He was merciful and graceful towards us. When I finally started wrapping my mind around this, I really started to view my relationship with sinners in a different way. Matter of fact I don't think that we are to withdraw from culture, but rather engage it. Paul wrote to avoid brothers who weren't living right, not unbelievers,

In case you didn't read the "Online Baptist Rules" found by going to Home, look at bottom right and click on Online Baptist Rules ---- 

3) Feel free to quote the Bible, if you do we ask that you use the KJV. This is done to avoid confusion.
The Administrators and Moderators of this site believe that the KJV is Gods preserved Word for the English speaking people, and we ask that you respect that and use the KJV when quoting scripture.

You don't have to agree with it, just follow it while on here.