• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello

Jeffrey

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Are you serious???  I thought it was short for gee wiz, whatever that means.  God knows in my heart I was not taking his name in vain.  Come on now...this is nitpicking.

That's why I initially said you probably didn't know it-a comment was made, and I knew you had spoken in innocency-you have no history of language issues, and I wasn't trying to nit-pick. But since something was said in another place, not important by whom, I felt since I had to repudiate my poor manners, I would make mention here. No harm, no foul-all is good. As we know, we all come from kind of different places and backgrounds, but as I said, its all good.

• Moderators

There're a lot of exclamations in common usage that are in reality euphemisms or minced oaths.  I know many people seem to have no understanding of their origin or true meaning, but now that I know what they really stand for, it really bothers me to hear people using them. Especially Christians. If it's wrong for us to go around saying "God" or "Jesus" as an exclamation, it is just as wrong to say "Gosh", "Gee whiz", or "Jiminy Crickets".  (My apologies for having to write these down for y'all to read.   :icon_sad: ) They are fairly easy to spot. Most euphemistic explanations that start with a hard g sound are developed from God's name, those with the j sound come from the name of Christ, and those with a j/c combination are an obvious development of, well, you can figure it out. Even innocent sounding phrases like "Christopher Columbus", "for crying out loud" and "goodness gracious" have their origins from people trying to find ways to swear without offending societal sensibilities.  When it comes to it, they're really just the same as taking the Lord's Name in vain.  I've come to the conclusion that it's best to try to avoid all such exclamations, period.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gee_whiz

The following links to a list of such oaths, and explains their origin. Warning: there are a lot of offensive words on this list, religious and otherwise.  http://www.lutins.org/lists/minced_oaths.html

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone here uses such words knowing what they stand for. I'm not accusing anyone of having sworn. But to continue using them after learning their true meaning is, IMO, wrong. At the least it's offensive to other forum users (meaning me! :)). Please don't.

• Members

HA, Jeffrey, you dodged a bullet on that risen name for sure. You, me and UK Mike know it. I suppose you are lucky that no one else remembered or had heard of that song.

Welcome back on a fresh start, I paid no attention to your previous posts assuming you'd be banned any second. thinking to myself "what could a knucklehead like this possibly have to add"

• Members

This has been one of the oddest threads on this site that I have read.  An introduction...to Jim Morrison... to Christian swearing.  If I did not know better, I'd wonder if there's a full moon.

I personally never know what to say without someone getting offended.  I think it's time to say adios OB.

• Members

I personally never know what to say without someone getting offended.  I think it's time to say adios OB.

Please do not count me among the list of the offended.  I am more amused than anything else.

As for saying adios, I cannot say that I have not had similar thoughts.  It's like walking in a china shop sometimes.  I wonder if people are looking to be offended just for the drama that ensues.

• Moderators

I'm offended by that. Offended that you would leave. So don't leave. Or I'll just be offended.

Don't worry-its just called offensensitivity. We all get over it.

Archived