• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello

Jeffrey

• Administrators

Live in the Chicagoland area, though I was raised in Cape Cod.

We also live in the Chicagoland area.  Actually in Northwest Indiana.  But we are less than an hour from Chicago (well, if the traffic doesn't snarl  :nuts: ), so we are considered Chicagoland area.  I'm really glad we aren't actually in Illinois, though.

I was born in Seattle.  It's a small world - east coast/west coast now in the midwest.  :o

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

By the way, while you may not realize it, the term 'Geez" is a shortening of the name of Jesus, and can be construed as using His name in vain. Please lets be careful in our speech, and keep our reigns upon our tongues.

I have recognized that in myself and made an apology-lets all be careful and gentle in our speech.

• Members

So you are going to ignore the question rather than admit you have standards as well?

I would be pretty certain that your church would not let someone sing a special wearing only a bikini.
You can say what you like but that is exactly the kind of standard you deride others for, just the line is drawn in a different position.

The point is that EVERYONE has standards they accept. EVERYONE.
Even criminals have standards they hold too - they just draw the line differently.

The argument is never about having standards per se, it is actually about one person not liking where another person has drawn the line.

What time is the show...  :)  at Skin Baptist church. :eye:

• Members

Yeah, maybe so. I admit to having come on a bit stronger than I meant to, and let me apologize for it, Jeffrey.  Not that I repudiate what I said, but in the way I said it.
 But there are other connotations to the name, as well, that maybe few are familiar with, and maybe that's what bugged me. I suppose it wasn't the intention.

Anyways, welcome aboard, Jeffrey, and look forward to some good, fruitful discussions with your input and persepctives.

No problem brother, I understand. And I really aprreciate your post. Thank you

• Members

As I said, let's move on...there was dissension on both sides, an apology has been issued, the name has been changed. Now, let's be mature adults and move on. Thank you.

As they say in Hollywood, "names have been changed to protect the innocent"

Sorry! I couldn't resist :p

• Members

By the way, while you may not realize it, the term 'Geez" is a shortening of the name of Jesus, and can be construed as using His name in vain. Please lets be careful in our speech, and keep our reigns upon our tongues.

I have recognized that in myself and made an apology-lets all be careful and gentle in our speech.

Are you serious???  I thought it was short for gee wiz, whatever that means.  God knows in my heart I was not taking his name in vain.  Come on now...this is nitpicking.

• Administrators

Are you serious???  I thought it was short for gee wiz, whatever that means.  God knows in my heart I was not taking his name in vain.  Come on now...this is nitpicking.

Actually, it is a slang for the name of Jesus. I'm sure God knows that you were not taking His name in vain.  Others, however, cannot see the heart.  And, sorry if you think it's nitpicking, but when even the world states that it stands for Jesus, we have to be careful of our words.  Thank you for respecting that.   (I don't know what dictionary you used, but the official language of Ethiopia is Amharic.  Ge'ez is the script used for several of the languages used there...not quite the same thing.  :) )

Archived