• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello

Jeffrey

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

my above post reminds me of a funny story! My ex-husband when he first went away to college, was very sheltered, etc. bookworm, in high school, didn't date, etc. They were like shared multi apartments or something, he came out one morning and one of the roommates was drinking some coffee and asked him if he "wanted some java?" He flipped out at this guy yelling he didn't want anything to do with drugs! Yelling at the guy to get out! :nuts:

• Moderators

Doors were a little before my time so I never would've known what it meant. I thought it had something to do with marijuana.

"He one mojo filter" and a few other things before your time that I would have preferred to have not had dredged up out of my memory.

• Members

My name is Jeffrey. New to this site. Live in the Chicagoland area, though I was raised in Cape Cod.

I grew up in Massachusetts; I'm a Patriots fan :clapping:

Regardless of the place of one's birth, if one chooses to live near Chicago he is guilty by association. :knuppel::nuts:

• Members

IFB churches tend to be more legalistic than reformed,(ex: dress,music)...

You mean they more closely follow the scriptures than the people in the reformed churches like?  Modest dress and Godly music standards are part of sanctification and protecting the members and children from evil. 

its just a name. I wasn't really a big Doors fan growing up(more into alternative/metal). It was just a cool sounding name. I once named my pet dog "Mojo" when I was a boy and named my pet snake(boa) Mojo Rison when I was in my 20's.I guess I'm older now so I threw in "Mr" Mojo Rison.

Part of what I was discussing, IFB people would not understand the screen name and question my motives, more reformed people would get the joke.

I'm an Independent Baptist and as soon as I saw your screen name that Doors' song played in my head.  Thanks a lot.  It's not a joke, Morrison was a rebel, a drunkard and a whoremonger to name a few; associating with the likes of him is a detriment to one's testimony in Christ.  Wise up.

After saying all that, welcome to the forum.  It is my hope that this group is a blessing to you and aids in your sanctification and walk with Christ as it has me.

• Members

You mean they more closely follow the scriptures than the people in the reformed churches like? 

I have become persuaded to believe reformed churches are following the Bible more than IFB church, not all because I've never been to all of them. Just the ones I was attending. 

Yes because if someone comes to church dressed inappropriately, that is really really evil!, Because Jesus was concerned about "standards" and not mercy or grace. {sarcasm}

First of all you have to tell me what is "modest dress/music" means,what It looks like. It means different things to different cultures in different parts of the country in different parts of the world. I have come to believe that the Gospel transcends cultures, music, dress, and their are meatier things to concern myself with at church than what a woman is wearing. I am a man, so it doesn't take much for me to get distracted by an attractive woman, regardless of what she is wearing.

I'm an Independent Baptist and as soon as I saw your screen name that Doors' song played in my head.  Thanks a lot.  It's not a joke, Morrison was a rebel, a drunkard and a whoremonger to name a few; associating with the likes of him is a detriment to one's testimony in Christ.  Wise up.

Funny, the pharisees said the same thing about Christ (Lk 15:2). You bring up testimony, I don't see that too much with the Lord Jesus. I see He was merciful and graceful towards us. When I finally started wrapping my mind around this, I really started to view my relationship with sinners in a different way. Matter of fact I don't think that we are to withdraw from culture, but rather engage it. Paul wrote to avoid brothers who weren't living right, not unbelievers,

1 Cor 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

Archived