• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Girl Dies After Pharmacist Refuses To Give Epipen Without Prescription

JerryNumbers

• Members

Then judge would throw out decision because in Europe (where this happened) they Good Samaritan laws across the board. No way would this guy go to jail for saving this girl's life.  Maybe he'd lose his license but that's about it. It's better for that to happen then to have this on his conscience till the day he dies. Unfortunately, this man was more worried about his career than her life.

Proverbs 3:27- Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.

That one thing keeps many today from doing what is right in the sight of God, even Christians.

And to think, if we suffer for the sake of our Savior, we should rejoice, but we do all things to keep from suffering for the sake of our Savior, even disobedience of His Word.

2Ti 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Heb 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

Many of us refuse to do good deeds unless we know we will be recompensed, paid back. That is we will do something for those we think can pay us back, yet those who cannot, we leave them alone.

Lu 14:12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
Lu 14:13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
Lu 14:14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Now according to Fox news article, it doesn't say the pharmacist wouldn't give them the epi-pen, it just says a male employee. Maybe pharmacist at lunch? I don't know of any parents who have children who DO NOT CARRY AN EPI PEN with them at ALL times. If you're looking to blame someone, I'd blame the parents for not having one on them. No way I'd have a kid with life threatening allergies and not have one on me at all times.The article doesn't give enough information that it was the pharmacist who wouldn't give epi-pen.

The thing is anyone can forget once in a while. there was only one who would never be forgetful.

Just like the parent who looks away for one moment & their child gets killed.

Plus, take note of the title of the article.

Girl dies after pharmacist refuses to give EpiPen without prescription

Plus this.

The family rushed round the corner to the Hamilton Long chemist shop but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot - a special allergy injection - without a prescription. The worker advised Sloan to take her daughter to hospital but Emma collapsed on the street outside.

If it had not been a pharmacist even if she had a prescription they still could not have sold or given her one. And the title of the article says a pharmacist refuses.

So to me it seems that this was a pharmacist, a pharmacist who works in a drug store owned by another person so they called the pharmacist a worker.

Anyway, in an emergency we are to help a person, no matter the cost. That is help now them take the consequences.

• Members

Most people aren't biblical Christians so we really can't expect them to act as such.

John, most non-Christians thinks life is more important, most precious, than Christians, & will do much more to prevent a death, extend lifem than many Christians, simply because they have no hope, & in case they're wrong about there not being a real Hell.

That is many of them fear death worse than anything else on this earth.

• Members

I've never noticed that. Even the first humans didn't care too much about their own death or that of their spouse.

Cain wasn't concerned about Abel.

Every day millions suffer abuse, beatings, rape, torture and murder at the hands of family, friends and others.

Thugs are running around some American cities hitting total strangers unawares in an attempt to knock them out with one hit, without any concern at all for their health or life.

Several children have been shot in Chicago this year during a year of high murder rates, along with a very, very low prosecution rate.

In poor countries those with power steal food to hoard for themselves knowing that thousands will die because of their actions.

No doubt there are some folks out there willing to help others, but there are many more who will look the other way, and then many more who care nothing for others, and among those are many willing to hurt or kill for their own self interests.

• Members

My first thought was, "Why didn't the mother have an Epi-pen...especially at a Chinese Restaurant?"

I don't know if all Chinese restaurants are the same, but where we live, they put peanuts in a lot of different dishes that they serve.  My wife and I love Chinese food, but we don't go with our children for fear of cross-contamination.

Sadly, many people have no idea how serious this is...though it is becoming VERY prevalent.  We can't stop at just any fast-food restaurant. We have to find out what kind of oil they use to cook their food in first. Our daughter is now 15, so she's very aware of what she can and can't eat...AND...not to try things that could possibly have nuts in them. She couldn't go to spend the night with friends, because of her allergies. She couldn't go to birthday parties. She couldn't go...etc., for fear that she would accidentally eat something she shouldn't. 

Once, we finally allowed her to spend the night with a friend after explaining to the mother how bad her allergies were. The mother assured us that they would take any and all precautions. We had to go pick her up that night, because she couldn't breath and was breaking out in hives. The family had an indoor cat, and the mother said that they kept the cat out of the rooms our daughter was in. Folks don't understand that animals leave hair and dander EVERYWHERE. We had explained this to the mother, but she apparently didn't get it...and she's a nurse!

Now, we're going through this with our son (who's 3 years old).  When he went into anaphylactic shock, it was from taking a bite of a peanut butter cookie.  This was at a church supper.  It's a small church, and everyone there saw what happened with him (we didn't know he had allergies before this happened). Anyway, everyone at church knew that it was from the peanut butter cookie, so you'd think that they would know not to make dishes with peanuts after that. At the next church supper...peanuts, peanut butter cookies, brownies with peanuts, ... PEANUTS EVERYWHERE! We had to leave.

At the next church supper...PEANUTS again.

People just don't get it unless a member of their family suffers from this. People get offended if you try to explain things like...I'm sorry, but we can't come over because you have indoor animals...you'd have to completely vacuum your house, top to bottom, with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter...and you need to put your animal(s) outside while you do it...and you can't let the animals back in your house until after we leave...

...or...

I'm sorry, but your child can't spend the night at our house unless you've laundered your child's clothes immediately before they come over...and made sure they've had a shower immediately before they come over...and not allowed them to handle their pets after taking a shower and putting on the freshly laundered clothes; otherwise, they could accidentally bring their pet's hair and dander into our home and cause a severe allergic reaction from our child...

...or...

I'm sorry, but our child can't come to your child's birthday party.  The cake could contain traces of nuts...or the cookies could contain traces of nuts...

This may seem extreme, and it is.  Like I said, unless you've personally had a family member with severe allergies, you can't (or don't) truly understand.  We've been called all kinds of things...over-protective, unfriendly, stuck-up, etc...

Yes, we're over-protective...our children could die if we're not!

I wrote all of this to hopefully help people become more aware and understanding of this problem...I'm not complaining...just trying to show folks how serious this truly is.

I am so sorry to hear this, No Nicolaitions.  This must be very difficult for you, your wife and children.  When I used to teach school, I had a list of allergies the children had, posted on my wall, behind my desk.  The cooks and women who worked in the lunchroom were aware of these allergies, as well.  Thankfully, during my 16 years as a teacher, I never had a problem.

Hopefully, some kind of natural remedy is made available soon for your children.  It always amazes me how fast children have to grow up, when they have some type of illness, such as an allergy to food.  I will keep your kids in my prayers.

• Members

I am so sorry to hear this, No Nicolaitions.  This must be very difficult for you, your wife and children.  When I used to teach school, I had a list of allergies the children had, posted on my wall, behind my desk.  The cooks and women who worked in the lunchroom were aware of these allergies, as well.  Thankfully, during my 16 years as a teacher, I never had a problem.

Hopefully, some kind of natural remedy is made available soon for your children.  It always amazes me how fast children have to grow up, when they have some type of illness, such as an allergy to food.  I will keep your kids in my prayers.

Thank you candlelight. Though difficult, my wife and I have accepted it as a part of our lives...the Lord has allowed this to happen.

It's second-nature now for us to just automatically look at the ingredients of ALL items that we buy and to look for allergy warnings on the labels. Of course now, we pretty much know what items to buy, but we still look in case something may have changed.

The real (and sad) difficulty is that our children can't experience their childhood with the same carefree attitude, joy, and innocence that most children get to enjoy.  You're right, it does cause a child to grow up faster.  Our children have allergies other than nuts and animal dander...those were just the two I spoke of...I didn't want to write a 25,000 word thesis on all of their allergies!  :nuts:

Also, thank you for the effort that you put forth to protect the children while you were a teacher. That did my heart good.

• Members

Thank you candlelight. Though difficult, my wife and I have accepted it as a part of our lives...the Lord has allowed this to happen.

It's second-nature now for us to just automatically look at the ingredients of ALL items that we buy and to look for allergy warnings on the labels. Of course now, we pretty much know what items to buy, but we still look in case something may have changed.

The real (and sad) difficulty is that our children can't experience their childhood with the same carefree attitude, joy, and innocence that most children get to enjoy.  You're right, it does cause a child to grow up faster.  Our children have allergies other than nuts and animal dander...those were just the two I spoke of...I didn't want to write a 25,000 word thesis on all of their allergies!  :nuts:

Also, thank you for the effort that you put forth to protect the children while you were a teacher. That did my heart good.

You're welcome, NN.  Although, I left teaching many years ago, children still hold a soft spot in my heart.  My husband is almost 6 years younger than I am, and is the oldest of 9.  Although, we weren't blessed to have children together, my (our) 23 year old son, and his (our) nieces and nephews are so special to us.  I (we) also have 7 neices and nephews by my 2 brothers and 1 sister.  They are older now.    

Yes, the Lord did allow it to happen, and I am sure you are used to it by now.

It is very sad that your children can't experience childhood, without having all these allergies.  My son, although not a child anymore, has a few allergies.  He is highly allergic to cat dander, molds, and dust mites.  I believe these are the usual allergies for children, as well as adults.

A 25,000 word thesis?  ;)  I feel so badly for all of you.

Teaching was my life for a long time.  I enjoyed teaching children and they brought much joy to my life, as well.  I would do anything to protect the life of a child.  They are God's gift to mankind.    

• Members

It sounds like when the refusal was given, the pharmacist thought they could comfortably make it to the hospital in time. What I'd like to know is, what happened after the girl collapsed? Was the pharmacist asked again? Did they still say no? Very sad story.

• Moderators

So, anyone else ever wonder what's causing these things? 20 years ago, few had ever even heard of a peanut allergy-now you can't eat a peanut without someone nearby going into shock from the proximity. Something rotten is afoot.

I suspect that its something in what mothers are eating while pregnant. That's not to say its their fault, per se, but something people eat or put into their system is causing babies to be born with all kinds of weird things. As well, vaccines cause problems in children, and babies being fed soy-based formulas. Its all the artificial garbage, artificial sweeteners, stuff with any bit of nutrition refined out of them. What moms put in them during pregnancy will effect their children. This isn't happening in a vacuum.

• Members

A pharmacist cannot give a prescription drug without a prescription.  In such a case as this,  the child has had a prescription and should have a repeat prescription form the pharmacist could call the Dr and get him to email a prescription.  My wife has an arrangement with the pharmacist in which she phones them and tells them which items she needs and they collect the prescription from the doctor and will deliver it to our home if required.  As she is a regular, when she has left it too late, they will issue part of the order on account, and the rest when they get the prescription.  

• Members

From the article:

"The family rushed round the corner to the Hamilton Long chemist shop but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot"

The pharmacy employee told the girl, which means to me that he saw the girl was suffering from a reaction and having trouble breathing.  He should have given the mother the Epipen.  This is the situation that happens much to often in our uncaring society.  Nobody wants to get involved . . . . nobody wants to stick their neck out. . . . not many good samaritans around. . . . not many heroes.

God bless,

Larry

They should have gone to the hospital , of course Ireland, they are probably a socialized medicine country and would have to wait too long anyway.

Archived