• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Girl Dies After Pharmacist Refuses To Give Epipen Without Prescription

JerryNumbers

• Members

Girl dies after pharmacist refuses to give EpiPen without prescription

"DUBLIN, IRELAND –  A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection to the girl's mother because she didn't have a prescription.

Emma Sloan, 14, suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin. She told her mother, Caroline, she was having difficulty breathing."

Full story 

So sad, some people has such a bad allergic reaction there's no time to get them to a hospital or for help top get to them. My heart goes out to this mother.

Should the pharmacist had given the EpiPen to her?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Had the pharmacist given her the EpiPen without a prescription he could have lost his license, could have possible faced criminal charges.

We don't know the whole story, but typically these things aren't as clear-cut as they are reported.

The pharmacist had a tough call to make, after all there are people constantly trying to scam them into giving them various drugs, plus all the potential legal ramifications, and whatever unknown factors we aren't privy to.

It's a sad situation for all involved. May the Lord work something good out of this.

• Members

From the article:

"The family rushed round the corner to the Hamilton Long chemist shop but a male worker told Caroline they couldn’t give her an EpiPen shot"

The pharmacy employee told the girl, which means to me that he saw the girl was suffering from a reaction and having trouble breathing.  He should have given the mother the Epipen.  This is the situation that happens much to often in our uncaring society.  Nobody wants to get involved . . . . nobody wants to stick their neck out. . . . not many good samaritans around. . . . not many heroes.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

This is extremely sad to me; both our son and daughter have life-threatening allergies...both have gone into anaphylactic shock.  Our daughter did after eating a cashew.  Our son did after eating a bite of a peanut butter cookie.  Neither circumstance was anything that any parent should go through.

We carry Epi-pens with us anywhere and everywhere we go; however, I would hope a pharmacist would hold the life of someone more dear than their license if the situation arose with one of our children.  I would hope that if the pharmacist did lose their license, it would be reinstated after a review of the situation...and they should be viewed as a hero.

• Moderators

No jury would have convicted him. 

Famous last words

Me, I probably risk the repercussions from administering the EpiPen myself -- but don't hang your paycheck on the thought that a lawyer couldn't win this, dumber things happen.

• Members

This is extremely sad to me; both our son and daughter have life-threatening allergies...both have gone into anaphylactic shock.  Our daughter did after eating a cashew.  Our son did after eating a bite of a peanut butter cookie.  Neither circumstance was anything that any parent should go through.

We carry Epi-pens with us anywhere and everywhere we go; however, I would hope a pharmacist would hold the life of someone more dear than their license if the situation arose with one of our children.  I would hope that if the pharmacist did lose their license, it would be reinstated after a review of the situation...and they should be viewed as a hero.

So sorry that your children have such a condition, hope & pray all will go well for them & nothing like this will happen to them.

My wife used to work in a school lunch room. That's how I became aware of so many children having deadly reactions to some things. It amazes me at the number of people who thinks banning peanuts, peanut-butter & such in school lunchrooms is totally unfair to them. Many self-centered people in this world.

• Members

Famous last words

Me, I probably risk the repercussions from administering the EpiPen myself -- but don't hang your paycheck on the thought that a lawyer couldn't win this, dumber things happen.

Then judge would throw out decision because in Europe (where this happened) they Good Samaritan laws across the board. No way would this guy go to jail for saving this girl's life.  Maybe he'd lose his license but that's about it. It's better for that to happen then to have this on his conscience till the day he dies. Unfortunately, this man was more worried about his career than her life.

Proverbs 3:27- Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it.

• Members

Now according to Fox news article, it doesn't say the pharmacist wouldn't give them the epi-pen, it just says a male employee. Maybe pharmacist at lunch? I don't know of any parents who have children who DO NOT CARRY AN EPI PEN with them at ALL times. If you're looking to blame someone, I'd blame the parents for not having one on them. No way I'd have a kid with life threatening allergies and not have one on me at all times.The article doesn't give enough information that it was the pharmacist who wouldn't give epi-pen.

• Members

Lefton, you are right of course and I also wondered about that but......

Because her parents are idiots is no excuse for someone else being one.

God bless,
Larry

Unfortunately so true.....

• Members

My first thought was, "Why didn't the mother have an Epi-pen...especially at a Chinese Restaurant?"

I don't know if all Chinese restaurants are the same, but where we live, they put peanuts in a lot of different dishes that they serve.  My wife and I love Chinese food, but we don't go with our children for fear of cross-contamination.

Sadly, many people have no idea how serious this is...though it is becoming VERY prevalent.  We can't stop at just any fast-food restaurant. We have to find out what kind of oil they use to cook their food in first. Our daughter is now 15, so she's very aware of what she can and can't eat...AND...not to try things that could possibly have nuts in them. She couldn't go to spend the night with friends, because of her allergies. She couldn't go to birthday parties. She couldn't go...etc., for fear that she would accidentally eat something she shouldn't. 

Once, we finally allowed her to spend the night with a friend after explaining to the mother how bad her allergies were. The mother assured us that they would take any and all precautions. We had to go pick her up that night, because she couldn't breath and was breaking out in hives. The family had an indoor cat, and the mother said that they kept the cat out of the rooms our daughter was in. Folks don't understand that animals leave hair and dander EVERYWHERE. We had explained this to the mother, but she apparently didn't get it...and she's a nurse!

Now, we're going through this with our son (who's 3 years old).  When he went into anaphylactic shock, it was from taking a bite of a peanut butter cookie.  This was at a church supper.  It's a small church, and everyone there saw what happened with him (we didn't know he had allergies before this happened). Anyway, everyone at church knew that it was from the peanut butter cookie, so you'd think that they would know not to make dishes with peanuts after that. At the next church supper...peanuts, peanut butter cookies, brownies with peanuts, ... PEANUTS EVERYWHERE! We had to leave.

At the next church supper...PEANUTS again.

People just don't get it unless a member of their family suffers from this. People get offended if you try to explain things like...I'm sorry, but we can't come over because you have indoor animals...you'd have to completely vacuum your house, top to bottom, with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter...and you need to put your animal(s) outside while you do it...and you can't let the animals back in your house until after we leave...

...or...

I'm sorry, but your child can't spend the night at our house unless you've laundered your child's clothes immediately before they come over...and made sure they've had a shower immediately before they come over...and not allowed them to handle their pets after taking a shower and putting on the freshly laundered clothes; otherwise, they could accidentally bring their pet's hair and dander into our home and cause a severe allergic reaction from our child...

...or...

I'm sorry, but our child can't come to your child's birthday party.  The cake could contain traces of nuts...or the cookies could contain traces of nuts...

This may seem extreme, and it is.  Like I said, unless you've personally had a family member with severe allergies, you can't (or don't) truly understand.  We've been called all kinds of things...over-protective, unfriendly, stuck-up, etc...

Yes, we're over-protective...our children could die if we're not!

I wrote all of this to hopefully help people become more aware and understanding of this problem...I'm not complaining...just trying to show folks how serious this truly is.

• Members

A friend of ours had to go the A&E after going to a Chinese restaurant, and after explaining the peanut allergy problem and bring assured that they had it under control, he had a reaction.
He said they must have not cleaned the cooking dish properly after using peanut oil....

People really do not understand how bad it can be.

Archived