• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spurgeon's Calvinism-Not Quite As Claimed?

Ukulelemike

• Moderators

CH Spurgeon was, indeed, a Calvinist, by his own admission. But what his Calvinism the sam as we often see spouted on some reformed Baptist boards? I suspect not.

Today I cam across a quote of Spurgeon's, as follows:

“To come to Jesus, or rather to receive Jesus who has come to us, is the one essential step into eternal salvation.”—

Now, this is not the standard position of the Calvinist; how many of us have heard that God, in His sovereignty, in His irresistible calling, essentially forces the 'elected' believer to be such. There is no choice: the elect will be saved, and the non-elect will die in their sins-the person has no say in the matter.

Yet Spurgeon holds the biblical view: Christ comes to us, and we are to receive Him, to essentially respond to His work. Its true that man doesn't come to Christ on His own, except the father draw him. That tells me all are drawn, and we decide whether to heed that drawing or not.

I read the actual sermon Spurgeon said this in, to ensure that it wasn't taken out of context to prove something he didn't believe, and indeed, the context maintains the meaning of the statement. Spurgeon was, in fact, castigated by his fellow reformed Baptists for his altar calls and calls for people to respond to the Spirit's call, to receive salvation through Jesus, because they firmly believed God would save who He would  and damn who He would, and it wasn't the responsibility of the preacher to call anyone to be saved. This may explain England's spiritually-dead condition today, as well as America's moving quickly that way-Christians no longer preach gospel in most cases, they just wait for the Lord to save them without the gospel preaching.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yet Spurgeon holds the biblical view: Christ comes to us, and we are to receive Him, to essentially respond to His work. Its true that man doesn't come to Christ on His own, except the father draw him. That tells me all are drawn, and we decide whether to heed that drawing or not.

Yep, all men innately know the truth .... God calls all men but some choose to suppress the truth.

Romans 1:18-19 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 

• Members

Spurgeon considered himself to be a "true" Calvinist, though he would often point out that it wasn't originated by Calvin, but first put forth by Paul in the NT.

Spurgeon fought against those he considered to be false Calvinists during his entire ministry. Today we might call them hyper-Calvinists, but he had a different term which I can't recall for some reason.

• Members

One of the real difficulties in Calvinism is there is no real standard as to just what Calvinism really is. Calvinists will typically punt to the accusation "you don't understand Calvinism" when they are confronted with the many facets of professing Calvinists. If you point out the errors of the supralapsarian, you will be accused of misrepresenting the infralapsarian. If you confront the preterist, you will be accused of misrepresenting the premillennialist. If you point out the Westminster Confession teaches decreed reprobation, you will be accused of misrepresenting those who don't follow the WC. etc etc..

I have on many occasions asked Calvinists as to just what should one study in order to accurately represent Calvinism, and there is never a uniform consensus on this. I was a Calvinist in a Presbyterian church for several years after I left Judaism. I studied Shedd, Spurgeon, Warfield, Gill, Calvin, Beza, Boettner, Pink, Wright, Hodge, Packer, Sproul, Kennedy, MacArthur, et al from 1560-1991 publications, and yet, now when I debate Calvinists, there's not one Calvinist that can agree on what Calvinism really is. Some shun the term "Calvinism" altogether, and prefer "Reformed", and "doctrines of grace" and an emphasis on the 5 "sola fides" instead of TULIP although in substance the "doctrines of grace"  are exactly the same. The emphasis on shunning the association with John Calvin is presumably to avoid the stigma attached to the lifestyle of John Calvin (mainly, his treatment of "heretics", and by 'treatment' I mean, murder).

What is quite humorous is you will often see a person who refuses to identify with Calvin, be the first in line to defend Calvinism when the doctrines of Calvin are attacked. You will also find that Calvinists will vacillate in between popular Calvinist authors to defend their doctrines of grace, many in which they will cite to defend a particular view of Calvinism or Reformed theology, when that particular author would disagree with them elsewhere (Spurgeon is a perfect example of this).

Regardless of what doctrines the plethora of Calvinist or Reformed followers adhere to that are in common, one thing that the Calvinists can not do is honestly accuse anyone of misrepresenting them when they themselves can not agree on what Calvinism is. I understood it just fine when I was a Calvinist, and I understand it perfectly now after exhaustive contemplation on the real implications of Calvinist determinism, and it's assault on the character of God.

• Members

This is why we have to deal with Calvinists as individuals, just as we need to with many others.

Even among our own IFB brethren there are many differences as to what is or isn't a true IFB, what are or aren't fundamentals, etc.

It does no good to argue, discuss or debate with anyone if we try to tell them their view isn't what they say it is. If one IFB says KJO is a fundamental and another says it isn't, it does no good to try and argue that their particular view really isn't what they say. We must begin with where they are and present biblical truth from that point.

Arguing about the particular name or tag one uses only serves to divert from the biblical points at hand. Whether one uses the term Calvinism, Augustinianism, Pauline, Reformed or another tag isn't as important as the foundation of Scripture which needs to be focused upon.

From what I've observed, most anti-Calvinists know more about Calvin and his life than do those who fall under the umbrella of "Calvinism". So, to get into a discussion or debate about someone that to them has nothing to do with their views, is distracting and deters from where our focus should be, which is on the Word of God.

It's too easy to get caught up in the side issues and get lost on rabbit trails, losing sight of the main road we need to stick to.

Stick with the Word of God. If someone sidetracks, turn the discussion right back to the Word of God. In the end, it doesn't matter what Calvin, Augustine, Smith or Jones had to say or did or didn't do; it only matters what the Word of God says. Our beliefs must stand or fall upon the Word of God. :bible:

• Members

This is why we have to deal with Calvinists as individuals, just as we need to with many others.

Even among our own IFB brethren there are many differences as to what is or isn't a true IFB, what are or aren't fundamentals, etc.

It does no good to argue, discuss or debate with anyone if we try to tell them their view isn't what they say it is. If one IFB says KJO is a fundamental and another says it isn't, it does no good to try and argue that their particular view really isn't what they say. We must begin with where they are and present biblical truth from that point.

Arguing about the particular name or tag one uses only serves to divert from the biblical points at hand. Whether one uses the term Calvinism, Augustinianism, Pauline, Reformed or another tag isn't as important as the foundation of Scripture which needs to be focused upon.

From what I've observed, most anti-Calvinists know more about Calvin and his life than do those who fall under the umbrella of "Calvinism". So, to get into a discussion or debate about someone that to them has nothing to do with their views, is distracting and deters from where our focus should be, which is on the Word of God.

It's too easy to get caught up in the side issues and get lost on rabbit trails, losing sight of the main road we need to stick to.

Stick with the Word of God. If someone sidetracks, turn the discussion right back to the Word of God. In the end, it doesn't matter what Calvin, Augustine, Smith or Jones had to say or did or didn't do; it only matters what the Word of God says. Our beliefs must stand or fall upon the Word of God. :bible:

I completely disagree that it is not important to focus on the person they are following. If it is important enough to them to identify with the theology of an individual, then it should be important for them to know why they are following that person. I find it hard to believe that God would use a man such as John Calvin who unrepentently murdered those who disagreed with him, and even some for small petty things. Some will point to the sins of Paul and David, but these men demonstrated repentance, and Paul never caused anyones death after he was converted.

Paul told Timothy, to "continue in the things thou has learned, and hast been assured of, KNOWING OF WHOM THOU HAST LEARNED THEM". 2 Timothy 3:14. Paul was concerned about who believers were listening to and on several occasions named the names of those who were teaching heresy. Some of those that John named were not for doctrinal heresies but because of CONDUCT and CHARACTER. 3 John 9-10. So surely, when John tells us that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him (1 John 3:15), when a professing believer is responsible for murdering more than 60 people [and then there are those Augustine had murdered], that should be significant for discussion as to whether or not a doctrine developed by Calvin/Augustine should be considered trustworthy. Calvinism certainly has plenty of errors doctrinally, but to avoid the actions and character of Augustine and Calvin is not how the apostles handled such matters in the New Testament. When a person demonstrates the clear characteristics of what the Bible describes as an unsaved man, that should be given as much equal consideration as that mans doctrinal heresies.

"They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service." John 16:2

• Members

We are to be bound by Scripture, so whatever "ism" we claim to adhere to, or whoever human authority, they must be tested by Scripture. The point Mike is approving in Spurgeon's calvinistic teaching is that man is responsible for his actions - the sinner must respond positively to the Gospel to be saved. The teaching that man is a lost & helpless sinner ("T") is valid, but when he hears the Gospel call he must respond. We dare not wait for God to save us & ignore the call. God uses means to save his elect - the preaching of the Gospel.

Preachers should not end the sermon without the Gospel call - God's word requires a response. The "spiritual mechanics" of that response (Irresistible grace) is not our primary concern - we preach & God the Holy Spirit uses his Word preached as the life-giving seed.

We see this in Peter's Pentecostal appeal:

Acts 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? 38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

I'll quote the "proto-calvinist" who wrote:

2 Corinthians 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

• Members

I completely disagree that it is not important to focus on the person they are following. If it is important enough to them to identify with the theology of an individual, then it should be important for them to know why they are following that person. I find it hard to believe that God would use a man such as John Calvin who unrepentently murdered those who disagreed with him, and even some for small petty things. Some will point to the sins of Paul and David, but these men demonstrated repentance, and Paul never caused anyones death after he was converted.

Paul told Timothy, to "continue in the things thou has learned, and hast been assured of, KNOWING OF WHOM THOU HAST LEARNED THEM". 2 Timothy 3:14. Paul was concerned about who believers were listening to and on several occasions named the names of those who were teaching heresy. Some of those that John named were not for doctrinal heresies but because of CONDUCT and CHARACTER. 3 John 9-10. So surely, when John tells us that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him (1 John 3:15), when a professing believer is responsible for murdering more than 60 people [and then there are those Augustine had murdered], that should be significant for discussion as to whether or not a doctrine developed by Calvin/Augustine should be considered trustworthy. Calvinism certainly has plenty of errors doctrinally, but to avoid the actions and character of Augustine and Calvin is not how the apostles handled such matters in the New Testament. When a person demonstrates the clear characteristics of what the Bible describes as an unsaved man, that should be given as much equal consideration as that mans doctrinal heresies.

"They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service." John 16:2

That's just it. Only a very tiny percentage of "Calvinists" follow Calvin at all. For most, "Calvinism" is simply the term that stuck for what they believe is a biblical view, which most say is clearly taught in the writings of the Apostle Paul.

This is why talking about the history of John Calvin means little to most "Calvinists" and doesn't have any bearing of their "Calvinistic" views.

Since most all point to Paul (and thus the Holy Ghost) as the "originator" of what is called "Calvinism", if one feels the need to address the "person they are following", then it would be much more to the point, and profitable, to address Paul and his writings; which means addressing the matter from Scripture.

• Members

You are wrong on this John.
Many many who hold to this theology look directly to Calvin's institutes for their direction.
They say that Paul's writings can only be understood by referencing Calvin's commentaries.

This is not universal of course, but it is widely true.
Very few people claim Calvin thought it up, but there is a reason why his name is associated with it.
And this applies even to those who refer to themselves as reformed rather than Calvinist.

• Members

Perhaps there are more of those in your neck of the woods. Even among those who know some points from Calvin's Institutes (even the very anti-Calvinist Adrian Rogers hailed the Institutes as a great work) know little of the man and don't care.

Thus far, I've not met a single Calvinist who, if they believed Calvin were akin to Stalin, that such would impact their views regarding predestination and such.

Beyond that, we get back to the point that only the Word of God truly matters. Regardless of what any of us think of another persons views or their life, what makes the difference is what the Word of God says and how we apply that.

If Freddy becomes fully convinced of another persons views of Calvin, yet his biblical view has not changed, then Freddy is still where he began on the key issue of understanding Scripture.

It is the Word of God that is alive and powerful, and that's what must change men's hearts and minds, not historical presentations pro or con of various men.

• Members

I decided (a couple of years ago) that I would read Calvin's Institutes...I made it through 3 pages.

It was page after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page,

after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page, after page,

...of what I can only describe as incessant theological ramblings.  I'm not trying to be unkind, but I don't understand why folks would want to spend so much time reading and studying Calvin's Institutes rather than the word of God.

Archived