• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hi Everyone

• Members
Any version of Sign Language (even SEE, Signed Exact English, no matter how much I hate it) is manual communication.

My audiologist told my mom the same... I'm glad I grew up oral but it takes away from those of us who don't learn about Deaf Culture or ASL because it is a part of who we are... I'm in the Sign Language class here at college just to get an easy A and help others learn about Deaf's language while they interact with me as a deaf person... it'll give them more than just a hearing teacher teaching them the signs that he knows... Good teacher, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. :lol:

yep, didn't have any manual communication. All I had was lipreading and notetaking.

To make it more difficult, I'm the middle child of five kids at home (plus some family problem) I do have older sister who is severe HOH like me though, but she is the firstborn and had much better interactive than I did (we are 7 years apart) . So she does alot better. They say that working with deaf children is hard work and that parents must help. When I was born, My mother just grew weary and focused on just living by.

To this day, I am a strong advocate on what people call "the full toolbox"

• Members

I support signed english because deaf do need to learn grammars and other things

I support ASL because deaf need friends and signed english would just slow down their communication

I support oralism because deaf will have to deal with hearing who don't know ASL.

And that's full toolbox.

• Members

True! I'm going to take a Spanish course here at college just because I know some already. It will also help my field since I'm a Social Work and English-Writing double major. If I do, I would be tri-lingual! :lol:

By the way, the whole hearing learning sign was meant to be humorous... It would be nice if they decide to... Especially since we deafies can use more interpreters... especially in church! It may be a ministry God calls me to, to lead those that want to be involved with helping deaf people finding Christ by teaching sign language within the church...

Who knows?

• Members
True! I'm going to take a Spanish course here at college just because I know some already. It will also help my field since I'm a Social Work and English-Writing double major. If I do, I would be tri-lingual! :lol:

By the way, the whole hearing learning sign was meant to be humorous... It would be nice if they decide to... Especially since we deafies can use more interpreters... especially in church! It may be a ministry God calls me to, to lead those that want to be involved with helping deaf people finding Christ by teaching sign language within the church...

Who knows?

believe it or not, majority of the deaf think ASL should be taught in public school as an elective.

• Members
That's not a bad thing, is it?

I wish it would be seen as a foreign language course...

nope, it's a good thing but the school or board of education do not see it as foreign language. They see it as an equipment for the disability. So some schools don't offer it although my high school county now offer that elective (edited, I see they don't offer it... One time I saw that they did)

• Members

I know being deaf/hoh is a disability... but they act like it's a bad thing.

That drives me absolutely insane... Everyone has a disability of some sort... Even my friend who is in a wheelchair doesn't look at it like a disability, but we know that we need some accomodations... it's not a disease...

• Members

That's awesome dadof4!

If the Lord wills and leads, one day I will begin or get active in a deaf ministry at whatever church He leads me too...

The church I currently attend, has okayed my transcribers (the ones that transcribe for me at school) to transcribe for me at church.