• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hi Everyone

• Members

My name is Brian and I'm a 21-year-old college student, who is partially deaf but am still seen as deaf or hard-of-hearing and communicates through both oral and manual communication methods, who got saved/born-again today, October 10, 2008, in the truck of my transcriber's husband who I asked to be contacted to lead me through the truths and understandings of Salvation according to the Word of God.

I grew up in the Pentecostal-Holiness denomination and have recently began going with my transcribers at school to their church and feel at home there and can't believe I would ever feel that I'm a Baptist, but enjoy every second of it... I do plan on being baptized in the near future and will hopefully talk with the pastor at the church this Sunday.

I am new to the whole Baptist congregation and do attend an Independent, Fundamentalist Baptist church. I hope to learn more about what Baptists believe and to continue growing in my faith and being a witness for Christ every day of my life.

• Administrators

Great news about your salvation, remember to write down today's date so that you will always remember which day it was.
It is great to have you with us here at Online Baptist and please ask questions, but please remember to always ask your own pastor questions too to learn about Independent Fundamental Baptist. We are always here to help, but not a replacement for your own pastor.

God Bless you and I look forward to the online fellowship with you. :wave:

• Members

Thanks John81, candlelight, BroMatt, and RayJr for the welcome!

BroMatt... J.P. (the guy who led me to the Lord) wrote down the date for me on a tract entitled "God's Simple Plan of Salvation" which contained the church's information as well as the pastor's information... and he gave me a booklet called "Basic Bible Truths" by Ralph O. Burns. I will definitely be in touch with pastor and not use this forum as a replacement... it's a great place from what I can see so far but nothing compares to face-to-face interaction... especially for a deafie like me! I'm good at lipreading, which unfortunately you can't do online! :lol:

I'm looking forward to the online fellowship with you all as well!

• Members
deafnva...

Same here... except there were other deaf/hoh's in my elementary schools.

Manual communication = Sign language

So you've never learned sign language or you just didn't know what manual communication was?

I never learned ASL .. my mother was told by my audiologist that was better to force me into the hearing world without ASL or anything like that if she wanted me to be oralist .. and yes I never heard of manual communication. So I assume you mean ASL

I didn't have deaf or hoh in my elementary school either.. I was the only one

• Members

Any version of Sign Language (even SEE, Signed Exact English, no matter how much I hate it) is manual communication.

My audiologist told my mom the same... I'm glad I grew up oral but it takes away from those of us who don't learn about Deaf Culture or ASL because it is a part of who we are... I'm in the Sign Language class here at college just to get an easy A and help others learn about Deaf's language while they interact with me as a deaf person... it'll give them more than just a hearing teacher teaching them the signs that he knows... Good teacher, don't get me wrong, but it's outdated. :lol: