• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Charity And Greed

Arbo

• Members

Not a surprise, especially considering the location.

There was a place about 30 miles south of here where a charity gave away toys for Christmas and a line formed real early because they place specific things in boxes for specific families but then they have a bunch of other items in the room that folks can have if they want them; first comer gets the best. It didn't turn into a mess but there was plenty of running and bumping.

I recall a place in Arkansas last Christmas where they gave out things to families who had been hit by the bad weather earlier that year. They let a few families at a time in and things went smoothly.

The bad thing is, for many in America they no longer view a handout as a blessing, they view a handout as a right, as something they deserve. Add this to the mentality of "I'm getting mine" and it just makes things worse.

• Members

The Apostle Paul wanted to avoid buffets, but God said His grace would see him through.

2 Corinthians 12:7 (KJV) 7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

2 Corinthians 12:8 (KJV) 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

2 Corinthians 12:9 (KJV) 9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

• Members

They have the local charity toy distribution at the police station in my town. When my daughter was smaller I went once but didn't realize it was first come, first served. It started at 8:30 so I was there at 8:15 obviously not long enough! some people had been in line since 6 that morning. My daughter is now 17. I heard they draw numbers out of a hat now.

Archived