• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

I Have Heard "the Gap Theory" Mentioned Here...

candlelight

• Members

and I would like to know what it means.  I am considering b/c the word, "Theory" is used, it must not hold up Biblically.  So, why is it discussed?   I am trying to help my 23 year old son, who went off to a public university and took a course on Evolution.  My husband says not to worry about him, b/c he professed to be saved when he was 9 years old.  However, as his mother, I am concerned.  He is a Prodical.  I pray for him, daily and my church prays for him as well.  He believes in God but understands the OT much better than the NT

I must say that I did, as well.  In fact, I was saved after the Jewish Seder Meal, conducted by an Orthodox Jew who came to Christ, later in his years.  He went through the Old and New Testament on Resurrection Sunday, in 2003.  My mom told me years back that the Reform Jews held the Seder Meal in my RCC.  I was standing up on the pew in amazement.  I don't remember.  7 years ago, my mom and I did the lineage on her mom's side of the family.  From that study, I found out that am a Jew by birth, who was raised in the RCC.  My great grandmother was a Jew from Baden-Baden, the Black Forest of Germany.  She married a Roman Catholic man for fear of persecution.  The family also changed their name, by adding a vowel to it.  My mom was also saved, knowing the missing pieces of her geneology.  She embraced Jesus Christ, when she got saved in 2006.

I talked in another thread about me purchasing Book 4, "Answers in Genesis" for him for Christmas.  Is it best that I try and teach him from the Old Testament first, then the New Testament, or a combination of both?  He always asks questions, so he is eager to know the truth of the Bible.  Sadly, years ago, his dad fought me "tooth and nail" on Jesus and the Bible.  Obviously, my ex husband is not saved, and this poses a real problem with my son's growth.  I read a study, years ago, that if the dad is not saved... chances are that the children are not saved or they are Prodicals.  He used to attend church, but during college, he stopped.

Suggestions on this would be most helpful.  I had to give a little history, so that you know where he is coming from.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In a nutshell, the Gap Theory is this...

Gap theorists say that there is an undetermined "gap" of time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2...

Genesis 1:1-2
1   In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

...undetermined gap of time...

2   And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

According to Gap theorists, Genesis 1:1 was the "original creation"...everything was perfect.  However, at some point (the gap), the earth suffered from a cataclysmic event and became without form, void, and dark. From my understanding, this cataclysmic event was because of Satan's rebellion.

Then, Genesis 1:2 begins a second creation...

I personally believe that Genesis 1:1 is simply a stated overview of what God did, and the details of what God did are in the verses that follow. This may be a bad example, but it's how I explain it...

A few years ago, we went on vacation. (A stated overview like Genesis 1:1)

Though the vacation wasn't fun to begin with, it turned out very good. (An introduction to our vacation like Genesis 1:2)

Then, I go into detail of what happened during the week of that vacation...

On the very first day, I lost my glasses! They were covered by the tide coming in on the beach. I can't see well at all without my glasses, so I was really upset. However, I was able to find them! Later that day, about 2,000 motorcyclists swarmed the area we were visiting. They ripped up and down the streets all day and ALL NIGHT! Needless to say, it wasn't easy to sleep at night...and they were there the entire time that we were!

On the second day, we...

On the third day, we ...

On the fourth day, we...

...and so on...

However, our vacation turned out to be a very good one! (By the way, this vacation story is true!)

Nothing in our lives can truly compare to the creative acts of Almighty God, but maybe that will help someone a little.  Genesis 1:1 is simply an overview, and the details of God's creative acts are given after it.

I'm sorry about your son's situation.  Since he understands the Old Testament better, have you considered using Isaiah 53 and showing him how Christ fulfilled all of that so perfectly? I'll be praying for him.

Edited to add...

I may have misunderstood exactly what type of help you are seeking for your son's situation. I went at it from a salvation point of view rather than debunking evolution...so, that might not be what you were after.

• Members

In a nutshell, the Gap Theory is this...

Gap theorists say that there is an undetermined "gap" of time between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2...

Genesis 1:1-2
1   In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

...undetermined gap of time...

2   And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

According to Gap theorists, Genesis 1:1 was the "original creation"...everything was perfect.  However, at some point (the gap), the earth suffered from a cataclysmic event and became without form, void, and dark. From my understanding, this cataclysmic event was because of Satan's rebellion.

Then, Genesis 1:2 begins a second creation...

I personally believe that Genesis 1:1 is simply a stated overview of what God did, and the details of what God did are in the verses that follow. This may be a bad example, but it's how I explain it...

A few years ago, we went on vacation. (A stated overview like Genesis 1:1)

Though the vacation wasn't fun to begin with, it turned out very good. (An introduction to our vacation like Genesis 1:2)

Then, I go into detail of what happened during the week of that vacation...

On the very first day, I lost my glasses! They were covered by the tide coming in on the beach. I can't see well at all without my glasses, so I was really upset. However, I was able to find them! Later that day, about 2,000 motorcyclists swarmed the area we were visiting. They ripped up and down the streets all day and ALL NIGHT! Needless to say, it wasn't easy to sleep at night...and they were there the entire time that we were!

On the second day, we...

On the third day, we ...

On the fourth day, we...

...and so on...

However, our vacation turned out to be a very good one! (By the way, this vacation story is true!)

Nothing in our lives can truly compare to the creative acts of Almighty God, but maybe that will help someone a little.  Genesis 1:1 is simply an overview, and the details of God's creative acts are given after it.

I'm sorry about your son's situation.  Since he understands the Old Testament better, have you considered using Isaiah 53 and showing him how Christ fulfilled all of that so perfectly? I'll be praying for him.

Edited to add...

I may have misunderstood exactly what type of help you are seeking for your son's situation. I went at it from a salvation point of view rather than debunking evolution...so, that might not be what you were after.

Thank you, NN.  :-)  Your explantion of the "Gap Theory" answered my questions.  Great ananlogy too, about your vacation.  It makes perfect sense to me. 

Thank you.  :)  Going to a public university really messed with his head.  I went along with it b/c his dad paid the tuition.  He transferred to another university, closer to home, and is commuting from the condo that he lives in.  His dad bought it when his mother passed on, and left him with some money.  Mark, my son, pays electric... as he is still in college.  It is close to our home, as well, and I see him often.  No problem there.  I have been told by so many people, including the saints in my church, that he is a great kid.  Hopefully, and prayfully the rest will come.

I appreciate your prayers for, Mark.  The salvation message is quite helpful.  I have been using the NT, until I found out that he is prone to OT scriptures.  I never thought of Isaiah 53, as his needs were just made known to me lately.  It is good that he is asking questions, though.  My husband said, he is bringing them up, not me, so that is a plus.

Sadly, too many Christian young men and women go off to college and get confused.  Thanks so much for your help.  I really appreciate it.  :)  

• Members

I forgot to mention that some (not all) who hold to the Gap Theory, use this "gap" to reconcile the evolutionary teaching of the earth being millions of years old rather than 6,000+ years old.

Okay.  I kind of thought that by the various posts on OB.  Thanks again, NN.  :-)

• Moderators

Good explanation, but if I may give a slight difference in one aspect, (good-natured disagreement, understand!), I beleve Gen 1:1 is not an overview, but a necessary beginning. In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. As an overview, it would be more proper to say 'heavens" as during the six days He created all three heavens, but here it is singular, "heaven".

this is an important distinction, and one that actually disproves the gap theory, because really, it could be seen as that in the beginning, the start of day 1, God created the space to put everything, and then put in the first thing, the earth in its initial, orderly form, the unformed, unfilled beginning, which would go on to be formed and filled over the next five days.

Consider, at one time, even the so-called empty space didn't exist: God had to make it first, to have somewhere to put everything. At first, there was literally nothing. Don't think too hard on that concept because it will make your head hurt.

So, in THE beginning, God made empty space and the initial construction of the earth, then went on to finish and fill them both,

This is how I understand it. And as I said, if there was a gap between 1&2, it would make more sense that it would say God created the heavens and the earth, because there would have still been that place where God and His angels dwelled.

If I may, one more argument against the gap: If Lucifer, pre-fall, ruled there, as many believe, how could he be called the anointed cherub that covereth? The cherubim stand at the throne of God in Heaven, they don't rule a planet-his obvious position would have been, generally, one that stood at God's throne.That he walked in Eden, as the BIble also says, means nothing, as we see in Ezekiel that the other cherubim also were on the earth from time to time. Buut it desn't change the fact that their primary place and responsibility is at the throne in Heaven.

• Members

Good explanation, but if I may give a slight difference in one aspect, (good-natured disagreement, understand!), I beleve Gen 1:1 is not an overview, but a necessary beginning. In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. As an overview, it would be more proper to say 'heavens" as during the six days He created all three heavens, but here it is singular, "heaven".  Interesting observation, Ukelelemike. 

this is an important distinction, and one that actually disproves the gap theory, because really, it could be seen as that in the beginning, the start of day 1, God created the space to put everything, and then put in the first thing, the earth in its initial, orderly form, the unformed, unfilled beginning, which would go on to be formed and filled over the next five days.  I see your point.

Consider, at one time, even the so-called empty space didn't exist: God had to make it first, to have somewhere to put everything. At first, there was literally nothing. Don't think too hard on that concept because it will make your head hurt.  I won't.  ;)

So, in THE beginning, God made empty space and the initial construction of the earth, then went on to finish and fill them both,  That makes sense and goes along with my thoughts.

This is how I understand it. And as I said, if there was a gap between 1&2, it would make more sense that it would say God created the heavens and the earth, because there would have still been that place where God and His angels dwelled.  Exactly.

If I may, one more argument against the gap: If Lucifer, pre-fall, ruled there, as many believe, how could he be called the anointed cherub that covereth? The cherubim stand at the throne of God in Heaven, they don't rule a planet-his obvious position would have been, generally, one that stood at God's throne.That he walked in Eden, as the BIble also says, means nothing, as we see in Ezekiel that the other cherubim also were on the earth from time to time. Buut it desn't change the fact that their primary place and responsibility is at the throne in Heaven.  Wow!  I never thought of it that way.

Besides, "The Answers in Genesis"... what other books might you recommend for my son to read?  I have the book, "The Evolution Cruncher"... so I thought I would ask him to read that, as well, as the book I bought him for Christmas.

• Members

Supposed differences and history detailed throughout Job, differences in description, works, positions of angels and demons and references to creation in Isiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Proverbs, Revelation, etc. are what causes rational believers to wonder of a gap in Genesis 1, certainly not some silly support or justification of evolution or a billion year old earth. Not that I am a firm believer in it but I am certainly open to the possibility. Another one of the mysteries we will not know for sure until some point in the future when we are home.

I am always skeptical of anyone who claims Scripture doesn't mean what it says because it appears to contradict some doctrine or idea their church or friends have traditionally believed.

• Members

Yep Gap theory covers a range of views that generally align with each other via a gap between gen 1:1 & 2 - although some put the gap after chapter 1, suggesting chapter 2 is the re-creation.

The reason for a gap is normally either a place to fit the Fall of Satan, or to fit the supposed long time of the geologic ages that science likes.

The Answers in Genesis site most likely has a run down on the Various gap theories somewhere there.

• Members

Yep Gap theory covers a range of views that generally align with each other via a gap between gen 1:1 & 2 - although some put the gap after chapter 1, suggesting chapter 2 is the re-creation.

The reason for a gap is normally either a place to fit the Fall of Satan, or to fit the supposed long time of the geologic ages that science likes.

The Answers in Genesis site most likely has a run down on the Various gap theories somewhere there.

Oh, I didn't know it did.  Thanks, DaveW.  :-)

• Members

Supposed differences and history detailed throughout Job, differences in description, works, positions of angels and demons and references to creation in Isiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Proverbs, Revelation, etc. are what causes rational believers to wonder of a gap in Genesis 1, certainly not some silly support or justification of evolution or a billion year old earth. Not that I am a firm believer in it but I am certainly open to the possibility. Another one of the mysteries we will not know for sure until some point in the future when we are home.

I am always skeptical of anyone who claims Scripture doesn't mean what it says because it appears to contradict some doctrine or idea their church or friends have traditionally believed.

Sorry I missed your post, wretched.  So, the "Gap Theorists" did not come to this conclusion b/c of evolution?  I didn't know that.  Thank you for clarifying for me.  I will take your thought into consideration. 

• Moderators

Besides, "The Answers in Genesis"... what other books might you recommend for my son to read?  I have the book, "The Evolution Cruncher"... so I thought I would ask him to read that, as well, as the book I bought him for Christmas.

How old is your son? If he's older and pretty smart, "Bones of Contention" by  Marvin Lubenow is a great book. Now, he's been ill-spoken of, but the creation seminars by Kent Hovind are nothing to be ignored. If one wants to set aside his issues on taxes so be it, but the rest of his work is still some of the best and simplest out there. They can be seen free on their site, www.creationtoday.org or they can be seen on youtube. He also has a series of debates available, as well as topical videos. 

• Members

How old is your son? If he's older and pretty smart, "Bones of Contention" by  Marvin Lubenow is a great book. Now, he's been ill-spoken of, but the creation seminars by Kent Hovind are nothing to be ignored. If one wants to set aside his issues on taxes so be it, but the rest of his work is still some of the best and simplest out there. They can be seen free on their site, www.creationtoday.org or they can be seen on youtube. He also has a series of debates available, as well as topical videos. 

He is 23, Ukelelemike.  "Bones of Contention" sounds like a book he would connect with. He started out undeclared in his major, but taking courses in dentistry.   He declared a major in marketing, when he transferred schools.

Thank you for the information on Kent Hovind.  I have looked over his site.  My son might not be able to look past the issues on tax, though.  I'll see.  Thank you, Mike.  :-)

• Moderators

He is 23, Ukelelemike.  "Bones of Contention" sounds like a book he would connect with. He started out undeclared in his major, but taking courses in dentistry.   He declared a major in marketing, when he transferred schools.

Thank you for the information on Kent Hovind.  I have looked over his site.  My son might not be able to look past the issues on tax, though.  I'll see.  Thank you, Mike.  :-)

Tell him don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

If he's studying dentistry, he might want to study the works of Weston Price, as well.

• Members

Ge 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

And many of them will take this word to mean that the earth had been inhabited before.

Archived