• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lottery In The Church = Gambling

The Glory Land

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

what if the church didn't know the tithe was from lottery winnings? churches don't know way by which money was gotten, whether by ill gotten ways or work.

My quoting isn't working either.

I don't remember who made the statement about stocks/mutual funds being gambling. It makes perfect sense. When I was married my husband always had a portion of his check taken out for purchase of company stock and they matched it. However, when the stock market took a deep nosedive one day in 2001, we had the portion of mutual funds in stocks changed to portion of the mutual funds were invested in stocks any longer.

My mother worked at band for 20 years and also bought into their stock, she lost about $20,000. That was small potatoes compared to other investors. But to her it was basically her life savings she had counted on. Bank was repossessed or whatever they call it when bought out by different company went stocks went down to 26 cents.

• Members

I won't lock this one yet but please keep to the topic at hand.....  As far as the other one, it was locked because of some complaints....not because someone's toes were stepped on.  :-)

i think we can all agree that God deserves some portion of our income, therefore maybe for the sake of this thread we should refer to it as "giving" God part of the mentioned lottery winnings, if you feel liberty to play.

we usually give God a portion of any income except gifts, because gift money is given in lieu of an actual wrapped present.   But otherwise, we give out of all other income.

we personally do not play the lottery.  As a matter of fact, recently we had a guy get saved....and after never hearing anything against playing the lottery, he told my husband he felt guilty buying tickets the other day.  That's the Holy Spirit for you!

• Members

Church is were people that have Christian to sell flock to hoping to sell their wares. 

It kind of like a forum on the internet you have a captive audience to sell your wares to so the sellers try to get their post full of spam posted, some sneak it in though their signature.

Its amazing at the number of people that live high off the hog using God to make money to do so.

• Members

there's lots of people win smaller amounts winning $5,000 or less usually isn't in the news

Your right, smaller amounts do not make the big news, not even in small towns.

There's many forms of gambling yet nowadays even church people see's no wrong with it. Lust for money blinds.

• Members

I won't lock this one yet but please keep to the topic at hand.....  As far as the other one, it was locked because of some complaints....not because someone's toes were stepped on.  :-)

i think we can all agree that God deserves some portion of our income, therefore maybe for the sake of this thread we should refer to it as "giving" God part of the mentioned lottery winnings, if you feel liberty to play.

we usually give God a portion of any income except gifts, because gift money is given in lieu of an actual wrapped present.   But otherwise, we give out of all other income.

we personally do not play the lottery.  As a matter of fact, recently we had a guy get saved....and after never hearing anything against playing the lottery, he told my husband he felt guilty buying tickets the other day.  That's the Holy Spirit for you!

Yep!

• Members

If someone gives ill gotten gains in their church offering, and the church doesn't know about it, then their conscience is clear.

If someone announces they won five thousand dollars and say they are giving a thousand to the church, then they are aware of the source of the money and must make that decision of whether to stand upon avoiding even the appearance of evil, or deciding they want the money so they'll take it anyway.

• Members

Again, we don't play the lottery.....but I know that we have one or two that probably tithe/give off stock market money.

Stocks are sort of an investment but it can also be a gamble.   

• Members

Some stocks have a higher probability of turning out to be an investment but they are yet a gamble. I've heard many call buying lottery tickets their investment for the future.

One nice thing about not having "disposalbe income" (who came up with that term? And wouldn't it be nice to have so much money you could "dispose" it, as it were?), is not having to concern myself with investments, whether stocks or lottery tickets!

• Members

I fail to understand those people who have disposable income that lets someone else control their money them get mad because the spent all of it.

That happen to Linda's 1st cousin with Enron, not sure how much she lost, but somewhere over $50,000.00. Any time she is around she talks about her money, how much she makes, how much she has, how much she gives to her church, & that she always lets them know how to spend her money.   :smug:

I really believe she looks down on us who do not have such disposable income. She isn't coming home for Christmas.  :knuppel:

• Members

Again, we don't play the lottery.....but I know that we have one or two that probably tithe/give off stock market money.

Stocks are sort of an investment but it can also be a gamble.   

Investment yes, that could become lost. Gambling is trying to get rich quick, the wrong way. We all must invest our money here or over there. You don't want to bury your money now do you? He will take it away from you, and given to him that haves more. :(

Archived