• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Duck Dynasty Patriarch Suspended

• Members

Yes there are many professing Christians who believe it's okay to call yourself a Christian, but all that "religious stuff" should be kept private. This has long been a widespread belief among many Christians in America.

Over the years I've had many tell me that I shouldn't say what the Bible says, or even that it's not practical for us to try and live according to the Bible.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't know how you would come to that conclusion.

After this amount of publicity, do you think that more people will watch the show or less?  

Money is A&E's motivator.  Viewers mean dollars.  More viewers, more dollars. 

That is how I come to my conclusion.

• Members

The problem is, the support is mostly going toward Phil, not A&E. Most Phil supporters are not going to praise or give any more support to A&E if they bring Phil back, but A&E will lose their PC friends and risk attack from them.

In the meantime, the "brand" that will gain the most from this will be the Robertsons, not A&E.

• Members

Robertson Family Releases Statement on A&E Decision to Suspend Phil Robertson

"We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm. We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty. '

They seem to be saying without Phil there will be no show.

• Members

That's a tough question to answer. I'm amazed at the number of professing Christians that thinks its A-OK to drink alcohol, & to be in the alcohol selling business.

I just turned 67 years of age, & up until the last 5 to 10 years most of the Christian I had contact with would not touch the stuff. Yet today is seems that over half of Christians will defend the use of alcohol.

A few months back that topic was written about on a Southern Baptist blog, there were probably way more than 50 comments, & I feel half of the comments was in support of the use of alcohol. Anyone saying it was a sin got rebuked quite harshly.

• Members

I've seen the same thing Jerry. Even among Christians and those from churches that once stood strong against alcohol there is a growing number who think it's okay to "drink in moderation" and they openly drink alcohol.

Here we now even have some Baptists who years ago wouldn't have even thought of setting foot in a bar but today they will. From what I've seen and heard, most of these began going into certain bar and grill type places for the good food. Then somewhere along the line they decided there was nothing wrong with drinking alcohol while there for their good food.

This is the main danger of Christians trying to live as close to the world and sin as they can. If they do so long enough eventually some of that will get on them and before long they have compromised their convictions so they can partake in sin and "enjoy" the world while offering unbiblical justifications for their actions.

The Lord calls us to avoid sin, not get as close to it as possible, not to toy with it.

• Members

While I have never watched this show, I do believe that if I watched it I would be supporting the use of drinking alcohol.  And, as Ukelelemike said, they need haircuts!  I don't know what all the fuss is about with born again Christians and this show.  Sure, he is professing Jesus Christ as his Saviour, but he is not following correct Bible doctrine, anyway.  I applaud him for saying that sodomy is not normal, however, he could have expanded on that more.  Why it is not normal and what God says about homosexuality?  Anyway, I don't believe in the teaching of coC and would not watch the show based on that and the wine selling.  They also look like they need baths.  :biggrin:  

• Members

This brings up the point that if Duck Dynasty is the most "Christian" show on TV, just how much worse are all the other programs?

Most of the Duck Dynasty audience isn't Christians who just watch this show and rarely any other TV, but those who routinely watch TV and are also fans of many secular, and sometimes even shows that are openly anti-Christian.

I've checked out a few episodes, and watched bits of a few more, and while it's nice not to have to hear cussing, anti-Christian comments and such; and it's good to see a family that cares for one another and good to see them eat together and pray over their meal, it's still just a TV show.

In the meantime, Christians are also watching Walking Dead, Justified, Homeland, most of the crime dramas, many of the comedies, and also subscribe to the uncut movie channels.

• Members

This brings up the point that if Duck Dynasty is the most "Christian" show on TV, just how much worse are all the other programs?

Most of the Duck Dynasty audience isn't Christians who just watch this show and rarely any other TV, but those who routinely watch TV and are also fans of many secular, and sometimes even shows that are openly anti-Christian.

I've checked out a few episodes, and watched bits of a few more, and while it's nice not to have to hear cussing, anti-Christian comments and such; and it's good to see a family that cares for one another and good to see them eat together and pray over their meal, it's still just a TV show.

In the meantime, Christians are also watching Walking Dead, Justified, Homeland, most of the crime dramas, many of the comedies, and also subscribe to the uncut movie channels.

I thought about that, John.  Well, if the majority of their fans are not Christians, then I suppose they are getting exposed to the words, Jesus Christ.  I gather they have supported the shows views on sodomy, as well.  That is good, too.

I agree.  I love shows on family.  That is why I love "Little House on the Prairie" and "The Waltons."  I like shows on the "Hallmark" station, as well.

So true about Christians.  I am amazed at the shows they are watching.  Many born again Christians are watching shows based on the occult, as well.  Yikes!  My mother in law says, "Never be surprised by the sins of the unsaved."  I say, "Never be surprsed by the sins of the saved."  Aye Carumba!    

• Members

I don't remember the name of the show, I think it came out a year or two or so ago, but it's a cop show based upon a family and I've heard Christians talk about how good and Christian the show is. I found the show last year or the year before and I couldn't even watch one full episode. The "Christian" aspects of the show are Catholic and while the families may be there for one another, they are not living in accord with Scripture and the show doesn't have a Christian feel to it at all.

Considering so many Christians today think the RCC and Mormons are just different denominations within Christianity, I suppose such shouldn't surprise me.

• Members

I don't remember the name of the show, I think it came out a year or two or so ago, but it's a cop show based upon a family and I've heard Christians talk about how good and Christian the show is. I found the show last year or the year before and I couldn't even watch one full episode. The "Christian" aspects of the show are Catholic and while the families may be there for one another, they are not living in accord with Scripture and the show doesn't have a Christian feel to it at all.

Considering so many Christians today think the RCC and Mormons are just different denominations within Christianity, I suppose such shouldn't surprise me.

Are you talking about the show, "Blue Bloods?"

• Members

"Blue Bloods" is a show about a NYC family of police officers.  Tom Selleck is the lead cast member.  I have watched it, b/c it reminds me of my inner city school teaching days.  However, the episodes are becoming quite liberal.  My hubby doesn't watch it.  I am done with the show, too.  I only DRV'd a few episodes, and that is enough for me. 

• Administrators

The Robertsons are not of our stripe of believer, but one thing that can be said is that they are not ashamed to say what they believe.  Way too many doctrinally correct Christians sit back and say nothing because that's not what we're (supposedly) supposed to do.

I don't feel in the least bit sorry for the Robertsons. They aren't hurt by this at all.  It's not even an issue of them being hurt. It's an issue of free speech and tolerance.  Christians have the same guarantee under the Constitution to speak their beliefs...but in this PC time in which we live, Christians are the only group of which "tolerance" is demanded.  Christianity is not to be tolerated in any way, shape, or form....even if those Christians have long hair, sloppy beards, and make wine (don't get me wrong - I don't agree in any with with their hair or the wine. I think that further weakens Christianity because it makes those kinds of things acceptable to people).  

I don't believe this is a publicity stunt because the interview was done by GQ (I have to laugh at the thought of the "gentlemen" who read that magazine even being interested in the Robertsons. :icon_smile: ).  It is quite feasible, though, that A&E is trying to use this to get more publicity.  However, many of their advertisers are coming down on the side of the Roberstons, so if it's a publicity stunt, it is likely, as Seth said, to backfire.  I realize that Beck is a Mormon, and so not a Christian, but his offer to them was based on the fact that Phil's right to free speech is being stifled, which is commendable of him, unscriptural beliefs or not.

The thing that too many good Christians don't realize is that it is our freedom of speech that is on the line also.  Yes, I know it is inevitable that we will lose the freedom we have now to witness for Christ.  But we oughtn't sit back and just let it happen, KWIM? As I said, I don't believe they are even close to being doctrinally correct.  But kudos to him for standing by what scripture says and not being afraid to let the world know that bestiality, homosexuality, and fornication is sin and sinners are headed to Hell.  And this isn't a new stance with him.  He is on the record as saying the same thing in 2010.

Archived