• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Duck Dynasty Patriarch Suspended

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have never heard of these guys until this week.  But this is one gigantic publicity stunt.  They all know exactly what they are doing.  Drumming up ratings, to sell more ads.  Plain and simple.  And it is working.  Me, one who does not even have cable, cannot escape the "controversy" and has thrust this scruffy looking man upon me when I have no desire to watch his show.

There is no violation of free speech.  The bill of rights protects us from government action.  The government cannot censor our message.  Private citizens and companies can do whatever they want to do.  A&E is making a business decision.  Allegedly they are suspending this guy for what he said.  If that is true, that is fine.  It is their business, their decision.  They can craft whatever message they want for their audience.

There is no persecution going on.  Ridiculous.  Move to the middle east or other places where Christians are thrown in jail or killed for their faith and tell me that this is persecution.  Please.  Christians in the US are not persecuted.  Being made fun of or people disagreeing with you is not persecution.  Being thrown in jail, assaulted, beaten, stoned, killed, etc. is.  

In reality, I think the suspension is not real.  They drummed up controversy, "suspended" him when it really doesn't matter, and will hire him back when this blows over in a week or two.  Their ratings for this show will be higher. They will all make more money because of it.

• Members

Why would A&E agree to such a publicity stunt, knowing that their ratings would drop considerably?

No, they themselves said they are strong supporters of the LGBT community.

Phil was put off the show for voicing his religious beliefs.

Meanwhile, a sodomite couple on Storage Wars in New York, also on A&E, makes a statement that it is more logical for man to lie with man than women. Using very descriptive language. Yet, no reprimand from the network.

Sorry, but this is far from a publicity stunt.

• Members

Why would A&E agree to such a publicity stunt, knowing that their ratings would drop considerably?

No, they themselves said they are strong supporters of the LGBT community.

Phil was put off the show for voicing his religious beliefs.

Meanwhile, a sodomite couple on Storage Wars in New York, also on A&E, makes a statement that it is more logical for man to lie with man than women. Using very descriptive language. Yet, no reprimand from the network.

Sorry, but this is far from a publicity stunt.

They will continue to air this show.  They have just solidified and gathered many people to start watching.  Any attention is good to gain viewers.  It is all a very well orchestrated stunt.  

The station distances themselves from the inflammatory comments, and when it all dies down, they hire him back.  They will air the show, and millions will feel like they are "supporting Phil" by watching his show and buying his products.  They don't care what station it is on.  They care about "supporting" this guy who was "persecuted" or his faith.

• Members

The thing is, folks are supporting Phil, not A&E and his supporters are being specific in supporting that which benefits Phil, not A&E. A&E is taking a publicity hit. The Robertson's are already beyond set for life and have a fan base larger than many actual Hollywood celebrities.

At this stage of the game, with the DD brand riding the crest of the wave already, there is nothing to be gained by the drama going on right now.

• Members

The thing is, folks are supporting Phil, not A&E and his supporters are being specific in supporting that which benefits Phil, not A&E.

Exactly.  That is why when this show airs on A&E, more folks will tune in.  They worked Phil's congregation into a lather, who spread the message to others, who blew up the internet thrusting this show unto us that do not care.  More will tune in, regardless of what channel the show is on.  A&E has the contract, they will air it.  They already filmed all but one of next seasons episodes, so what good does this "suspension" do?  Nothing.  A&E will ultimately sell more ads for this program.

There are marketers who are masters at manipulating the public.  They sure pulled the right strings this time which led to all of this idiocy. 

It is all a publicity stunt by A&E to increase the Duck's ratings.  

• Members

I may be wrong (frequently am) but I don't think it was a publicity stunt.  I think the big shots at the network made a huge blunder by misjudging a group of people.  And the fact that they had to eat crow does my heart good.

This video here sounds a lot like a testimony.  You may judge the "reality" of it.  Is it just a part of the reality show or is it real?  You be the judge if you want too . . . . I'll just take it for what it is and let God be the judge.

http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/the-robertsons/

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Exactly.  That is why when this show airs on A&E, more folks will tune in.  They worked Phil's congregation into a lather, who spread the message to others, who blew up the internet thrusting this show unto us that do not care.  More will tune in, regardless of what channel the show is on.  A&E has the contract, they will air it.  They already filmed all but one of next seasons episodes, so what good does this "suspension" do?  Nothing.  A&E will ultimately sell more ads for this program.

There are marketers who are masters at manipulating the public.  They sure pulled the right strings this time which led to all of this idiocy. 

It is all a publicity stunt by A&E to increase the Duck's ratings.  

Before A&E suspended Phil, the ratings for that network were very high.  When a show like Duck Dynasty increases the network's ratings to 12 million viewers worldwide, there is no need for publicity "stunts"!  That is about the silliest statement I have seen posted on the internet since this whole brouhaha began.  This is no publicity stunt. 

A&E will "sell more ads"?   That's also nonsense.  So far, the "ads" we've seen flying around the internet are anti-A&E and pro Phil Robertson.  Happy Christian is correct....A&E had bit off more than they can chew this time....and all to placate the "sodomite mafia"!

• Members

Before A&E suspended Phil, the ratings for that network were very high.  When a show like Duck Dynasty increases the network's ratings to 12 million viewers worldwide, there is no need for publicity "stunts"!  That is about the silliest statement I have seen posted on the internet since this whole brouhaha began.  This is no publicity stunt. 

A&E will "sell more ads"?   That's also nonsense.  So far, the "ads" we've seen flying around the internet are anti-A&E and pro Phil Robertson.  Happy Christian is correct....A&E had bit off more than they can chew this time....and all to placate the "sodomite mafia"!

I just looked.  The new season begins January 15.  Of course it is a publicity stunt.  They want more viewers and to sell more ads for a season beginning just weeks away.

Coincidence as to the timing of this "controversy?"  I think not. 

And they have all but one episode of the new season filmed, so what good to suspending this guy from filming?  None.  They will revoke the suspension in a few weeks, an no one is harmed, and they have probably gained 1 million more viewers.

• Members

This brings up the point that if Duck Dynasty is the most "Christian" show on TV, just how much worse are all the other programs?

Most of the Duck Dynasty audience isn't Christians who just watch this show and rarely any other TV, but those who routinely watch TV and are also fans of many secular, and sometimes even shows that are openly anti-Christian.

I've checked out a few episodes, and watched bits of a few more, and while it's nice not to have to hear cussing, anti-Christian comments and such; and it's good to see a family that cares for one another and good to see them eat together and pray over their meal, it's still just a TV show.

In the meantime, Christians are also watching Walking Dead, Justified, Homeland, most of the crime dramas, many of the comedies, and also subscribe to the uncut movie channels.

What gets me with many, they refuse to watch a show that has bad language, sexual scenes, nudity, & ect.,.

But they set & enjoy & talk about how good TV shows & or movies are that portrays adultery but with no nudity or sexual scenes, wife or husband cheating on their spouse, getting divorce to marry what they call the love of their life so they can live happily ever after. Or shows that portrays man & woman shacking up, sleeping together before marriage.

Yes, they call the 1st i mentioned bad shows no one should watch, yet brag about how good the latter ones I mentioned are to watch.

And to think how many church women, even men, have been addicted to the soap operas since their beginning & they never portrayed nothing but sins against our 'Great God.'

I believe one thing that hurts Christian marriages more than anything they see on TV & in the movies, they read in romance novels & such, they seem to end with the stars having lived happily ever after after enjoying many sins, & they expect their marriage to be happily ever after, ever year, month, week, day, hour, minute, & to be nothing but happiness & if it doesn't go that way they start searching for someone they think will make them happily ever after. With many of them doing this 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or more times.

If we would all bury our self in God's Word instead of such things mentioned above I firmly believe Christians would be more Christ like than worldly like even today in modern America. Yet us Christians lets the world influence us way to much & we see the Bible though eyes of worldly prejudices.

• Members

Hasn't Duck Dynasty been on about the length of time that such shows popularity & ratings will start dropping?

Perhaps kind of blue in correct. I don't know myself, but I do know they will almost do anything for ratings, for tha means money, & of course they're greedy for money.

Free speech! Well, even if it is for real A&E has every right under the sun do do as they please on this matter. If they feel this violates what they think & believe they have every right to kill this show & not air it one more time. Of course I suppose much of that depends on the contract, but I feel sure A&E has plenty of good lawyers that goes over every word in every contract & when they make such a move they consult these lawyers.

And of course Phil had every right under the sun to make the comment he did.

And last of all God does tell us in His Word when we stand for Him tribulations & consequences will follow, & life will not be a walk though a thornless rose garden.

To many of us Christians believes our life walking with Jesus will be a wonderful painless walk though at thornless rose garden with no suffering or sacrifices for our Savior.

Php 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

1Pe 3:14 But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye:

Many Christians seems to hate these verses & or act as if they are not included within the pages of  the Holy Bible.

• Members

I just looked.  The new season begins January 15.  Of course it is a publicity stunt.  They want more viewers and to sell more ads for a season beginning just weeks away.

Coincidence as to the timing of this "controversy?"  I think not. 

And they have all but one episode of the new season filmed, so what good to suspending this guy from filming?  None.  They will revoke the suspension in a few weeks, an no one is harmed, and they have probably gained 1 million more viewers.

Yep.  

They're playing on the head-butting between him and the network.  Makes for good drama and curious people who might tune in.

Archived