• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ifb Is A Cult?

Miss Daisy

• Members

No doubt, none of us know and his 5% was a speculation but I don't recall what he based it upon.

We can look here in America where, depending upon the survey or poll, typically between 70-90% of people claim to be Christian. For the most part, when we look at American Christianity we have to first subtract Catholics, Mormons and various fringe groups. Then we need to subtract most of those in churches which teach a false means of salvation. We have to subtract all those who think they are Christian by birth or simply because they say so. On and on, even when we get to the churches which preach the Gospel, all those who attend are most likely not saved. By the time we get finished with these things we probably end up somewhere around 5-10% in America being born again Christians.

Those who like to say one day the rapture will occur and half of the population of America will be called away are basing their numbers upon figures which includes many varieties of "Christians" that are part of non-Gospel preaching churches.

Even when we use a rather liberal estimation of those born again around the world, it's a small percentage of the 7 billion.

As Jerry mentioned, Scripture is clear that few will be in heaven while the masses will be cast into hell.

God knows all these matters and He's called us to take the Gospel to all people and then the end will come.

Agreed. Even after your rough calculations, it may be even smaller. Many of the "professing" Christians are just that, professing with the mouth while hanging onto and still participating in their pet sin(s), acting, looking, dressing like the world. As has been said here and in other forums previously, many "professors" of Jesus will be surprised when they don't end up in heaven.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The fact remains, if "Christians" don't adhere to Ephesians 2:8-9 and other verses on Eternal Security of the believer, they will be lost forever.  Eternal Security of the believer scriptures, "Once saved, Always Saved", are listed below:

John 5:24
John 10:27-28
Romans 8:33-39
Romans 11:6
Ephesians 1:13
Ephesians 4:30
Hebrews 6:4-6

• Members

Still can't use the Quote feature...

Matthew 7:22 informs us that MANY, not some, not a few, but MANY who think they are heavenbound will have this or that to say but will hear Christ inform them that He never knew them before He tells them to depart from Him.

That should at least prompt every professing believer to do as Peter said and examine our faith to see if we are indeed in right standing with the Lord.

The idea of so many who really think they are right with God but aren't really saddens me.

• Members

Surely, I do.  Where did I say that I did not, Jerry?

Still can't use the Quote feature...

Matthew 7:22 informs us that MANY, not some, not a few, but MANY who think they are heavenbound will have this or that to say but will hear Christ inform them that He never knew them before He tells them to depart from Him.

That should at least prompt every professing believer to do as Peter said and examine our faith to see if we are indeed in right standing with the Lord.

The idea of so many who really think they are right with God but aren't really saddens me.

Sometime back after a Microsoft update my computer did not work right. I did a restore, I restored it back to what it was before the Microsoft update. That fixed my problem.

I waited about 2 or 3 weeks before I installed the updates, them all worked just fine.

Now I do not know if that will work for you, yet I thought I would suggest it. One thing for sure it will not hurt your computer.

• Members

Amen, John!

Jerry, I see where you may have got confused with my post.  I was responding to John's 5% and what lefton said.

You didn't, I asked because.

"However, I am not sure how many actual born again believers there are in this world."

Some could or might interpret the above statement to mean you believe there's more saved that lost people in this world.

So its now crystal clear.

• Members

The fact remains, if "Christians" don't adhere to Ephesians 2:8-9 and other verses on Eternal Security of the believer, they will be lost forever.  Eternal Security of the believer scriptures, "Once saved, Always Saved", are listed below:

John 5:24
John 10:27-28
Romans 8:33-39
Romans 11:6
Ephesians 1:13
Ephesians 4:30
Hebrews 6:4-6

Wait...so you feel like a person who gets saved and then isn't sure about eternal security isn't really saved?   Lots of kids get saved without understanding eternal security for sure.....

I would think that their salvation would depend on what they are trusting in for salvation.  If trusting in works, then no, not saved.  But if trusting Christ, then they are saved, even if they have trouble with eternal security afterwards...right?

• Members

You didn't, I asked because.

"However, I am not sure how many actual born again believers there are in this world."

Some could or might interpret the above statement to mean you believe there's more saved that lost people in this world.

So its now crystal clear.

Okay.  I got it.  Obviously, I am not arguing with the Word of God, Jerry.  I just agree with lefton, that we don't know the actual figure.  Only God knows that.

Wait...so you feel like a person who gets saved and then isn't sure about eternal security isn't really saved?   Lots of kids get saved without understanding eternal security for sure.....

I would think that their salvation would depend on what they are trusting in for salvation.  If trusting in works, then no, not saved.  But if trusting Christ, then they are saved, even if they have trouble with eternal security afterwards...right?

No, that isn't what I am saying at all Kitagrl.  I am talking about the numerous religions out there that teach a person can loose their salvation.  IFB's teach what the Bible says that once a person is saved he/she is saved forever.  I don't know why I put that in the thread.  However, I have dealt with people from other religions who think they can loose their salvation.  This has nothing to do with children, at all.

• Members

This is in response to those who don't like to include the 'fundamental' into the description of their church or beliefs. I'm proud to call myself an independent, fundamental Baptist! After reading up on what is meant by the word fundamental means to IB's. It means we don't believe in the modernism taking over other churches. That we don't believe the Bible needs to be reinterpreted for today's meaning or language. That we hold to the Bible being the true Word of God, not just the ramblings of men. We believe Jesus is the son of God, not just a good man with good ideals, or a prophet.

If we drop words from our description you're giving over to the devil to make us sound more palatable to others. Aren't we called to be separated? Not try to blend in better to another's perception of the meaning of the word? There will always be churches or people who use the IFB description and will bring shame to it. (westboro) But a few bad apples in the bunch cannot stop true NT churches or members to be used to glorify His Name not ours.

• Members

I do not label myself.  I find it is usually unneccesary to do so as others will do it for me.  I am Christian and I believe what the bible says.  The usual label I recieve is something derogatory but then so what . . . . doesn't change what I am.  I at one time considered myself fundamentalist but I have found some fundamentalists don't agree with me and some fundamentalists do. I use to label myself as conservative but the the ideas of conservativels have moved so far from the position originally deemed conservative that it no longer fits so I no longer use it either.

Labels can be deceptive and I don't think it is a wise to make really important decisions based on what label is on a product or a person.  Just my opinion.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Okay.  I got it.  Obviously, I am not arguing with the Word of God, Jerry.  I just agree with lefton, that we don't know the actual figure.  Only God knows that.

No, that isn't what I am saying at all Kitagrl.  I am talking about the numerous religions out there that teach a person can loose their salvation.  IFB's teach what the Bible says that once a person is saved he/she is saved forever.  I don't know why I put that in the thread.  However, I have dealt with people from other religions who think they can loose their salvation.  This has nothing to do with children, at all.

No problem, I was just confused!  I actually have a hard time believing that someone's salvation would be null and void just because they've been mislead on eternal security, but God knows......nothing I am able to really argue about.

• Members

This is in response to those who don't like to include the 'fundamental' into the description of their church or beliefs. I'm proud to call myself an independent, fundamental Baptist! After reading up on what is meant by the word fundamental means to IB's. It means we don't believe in the modernism taking over other churches. That we don't believe the Bible needs to be reinterpreted for today's meaning or language. That we hold to the Bible being the true Word of God, not just the ramblings of men. We believe Jesus is the son of God, not just a good man with good ideals, or a prophet.

If we drop words from our description you're giving over to the devil to make us sound more palatable to others. Aren't we called to be separated? Not try to blend in better to another's perception of the meaning of the word? There will always be churches or people who use the IFB description and will bring shame to it. (westboro) But a few bad apples in the bunch cannot stop true NT churches or members to be used to glorify His Name not ours.

Lefton....I see it this way.....why do we no longer say the word "ass"?   What about "Bastard"?

Sorry to even type those words, but they are in the Bible.  However, man has changed what used to be an acceptable word into an inacceptable word.

I feel the same has been done to the word "fundamentalist".   I cannot help that the word is no longer a pleasant one, but sometimes we have to make changes for sake of testimony.

Archived