• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ifb Is A Cult?

Miss Daisy

• Members

Yesterday I googled 'independent, fundamental Baptist women' looking for local seminars or retreat type meetings for women. Wow, was I surprised by the pages of websites describing IFB as a cult who beats their children, treat women like dogs and follow their pastors like a cult leader! There's a lot of sites by former IFB people (supposedly) who were abused and mistreated in their IFB church.  Some sites had to do with the Hyles church specifically. I didn't know we were considered cultish. :grouphug:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yesterday I googled 'independent, fundamental Baptist women' looking for local seminars or retreat type meetings for women. Wow, was I surprised by the pages of websites describing IFB as a cult who beats their children, treat women like dogs and follow their pastors like a cult leader! There's a lot of sites by former IFB people (supposedly) who were abused and mistreated in their IFB church.  Some sites had to do with the Hyles church specifically. I didn't know we were considered cultish. :grouphug:

They must be kidding!! Women needing to get away,,,,,,,,,If they need a seminar, let the husbands do it. If they need a retreat, let them retreat to the kitchen!!

Don't they know their place; In the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant :hungry:   What is the world coming to!!

Don't they know this is in violation of God's Word. They just don't understand their place....send them over to the Online Baptist forum and heed the advice given for men  who just wants to go down to the fishing hole all by himself.  (Men Need To Take Break, Away From Their Wifes...)

I believe the problem can best be shown by the words of the late evangelist, Bro Maze Jackson. 'Most men are so henpecked, they roost at the foot of the bed'.

• Members

They must be kidding!! Women needing to get away,,,,,,,,,If they need a seminar, let the husbands do it. If they need a retreat, let them retreat to the kitchen!!

Don't they know their place; In the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant :hungry:   What is the world coming to!!

Don't they know this is in violation of God's Word. They just don't understand their place....send them over to the Online Baptist forum and heed the advice given for men  who just wants to go down to the fishing hole all by himself.  (Men Need To Take Break, Away From Their Wifes...)

I believe the problem can best be shown by the words of the late evangelist, Bro Maze Jackson. 'Most men are so henpecked, they roost at the foot of the bed'.

UPDATE: IF the following documented info from the Online Baptist web site is correct; apparently they do know their place.

Mens Forum:  156 Topics with 2,322 Replies

Online Baptist Ladies Forum:  0 Topics with 0 Replies.

The Kitchen:  304 Topics with 8,109 Replies

:knuppel: :knuppel:  :hide:  :tapping: :tapping:

• Administrators

LOL - Bro K, I'll guarantee there is more action on the ladies' forum than what you see on that list.  Many of the ladies over there do not post here. And there are many days that no-one posts on the ladies' forum, but it does see action.  I am not sure why it shows 0, although I think BroMatt is working on doing something to merge the ladies' forum to be like the men's on here (ladies have to log in with a password on their forum; while it is OB, it is a separate function, unlike the men's forum here).

More men post in the Kitchen forum than women do, too... :bleh:

lefton, sadly there are some IFB churches that do tend to be cultish (just like any other groups of believers).  Any time a group of religious people begin to replace scripture with man's traditions and begin to look up to man as they should Christ, that group will begin to manifest as a cult - slowly at first, sometimes, but then stronger and stronger as one.  When man takes on the place of Christ and the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer, he becomes a cult leader.

• Members

All religions and denominations are technically cults...

noun

1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

What defines a cult in the negative sense that people commonly talking about idiomatically is the controlling extra-biblical authority. That is usually manifested in a particular leader or writing.  Mormons, for example venerate Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon as authorities that supercede the Bible. Catholicism resembles a cult more than the IFB veign of churches.

• Administrators

The RCC is a cult. There are IFB churches that have pastors with strong personalities but the members still can bounce him out the front door if they wanted. Try doing that in the Catholic church.

But that can only be done if there are enough people who see it and are willing to do something about it...

• Administrators

That doesn't matter. It still can be done. It can't be done in the RCC and any cult for that matter.

It does matter.  It can't be done in an IFB church unless enough people are behind it.  If said IFB church tends to cultishness, the pastor will not be put out. 

• Members

I think what ASOD means (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that based on church organization/constitutions every IFB church has the contractual abilty to remove or dismiss their pastor(s).  Whether a consensus can be built to do so or not, the potential capability is still there. With the RCC, on the other hand, only a higher ecclesiastic authority (e.g. the bishop or pope) can remove a local priest and the congregation has no say in the matter.

• Administrators

I think what ASOD means (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that based on church organization/constitutions every IFB church has the contractual abilty to remove or dismiss their pastor(s).  Whether a consensus can be built to do so or not, the potential capability is still there. With the RCC, on the other hand, only a higher ecclesiastic authority (e.g. the bishop or pope) can remove a local priest and the congregation has no say in the matter.

I'm sure that is what he meant, and I agree with that. But my point is that there are some congregational-style churches that are run as though they are RCC, with a hierarchy authority equivalent to a pope.  SWIM?

• Members

I'm sure that is what he meant, and I agree with that. But my point is that there are some congregational-style churches that are run as though they are RCC, with a hierarchy authority equivalent to a pope.  SWIM?

Certainly, but isn't that more of a leadership problem as opposed to structural?

• Members

Certainly, but isn't that more of a leadership problem as opposed to structural?

I believe it may be more of a congregation problem. If the congregation is empowered to select their Pastor; that same power gives them the right to remove the Pastor.

Archived