• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Post That Will Not Stand Long Here (Tithing)

The Glory Land

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Mar. 12:41 ¶  And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
42  And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
43  And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44  For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

No mention of tithes here, either.

• Members

HC said the topic brings out childish behavior.

I see the childish behavior has started.

1 Corinthians 13:11 (KJV)
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Said the man with a cartoon as an avatar...  :nuts:

• Members

It is love to give to God.  It is worship to give to God.  It is a privilege to give to God.  It is obedience to give back to God.

One cannot ever out give God.

Tithes were not abolished with the OT Law.  Melchizedek tithed before the OT Law was given to Moses. 

No matter what I give I can never out give what HE has done for me.  

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. 

• Members

It is love to give to God.  It is worship to give to God.  It is a privilege to give to God.  It is obedience to give back to God.

One cannot ever out give God.

Tithes were not abolished with the OT Law.  Melchizedek tithed before the OT Law was given to Moses. 

No matter what I give I can never out give what HE has done for me.  

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. 

Abram did tithe before the Law.  But he tithed property that belonged to Sodom and Gomorrah... not his own property.  He even admitted he would not take any of the spoils as his own.  He is never said to have tithed his own assets, only spoils of war.

Regardless, we were brought into a new covenant, not taken back into an old one.  Show me tithing in the New Covenant and I might believe you. 

You say tithing was not abolished, yet the Bible says otherwise.  The ordinances were abolished by Jesus Christ.  Tithing was an ordinance.

Luke 6 says nothing about tithing.  Nice try though.

• Members

Abram did tithe before the Law.  But he tithed property that belonged to Sodom and Gomorrah... not his own property.  He even admitted he would not take any of the spoils as his own.  He is never said to have tithed his own assets, only spoils of war.

Regardless, we were brought into a new covenant, not taken back into an old one.  Show me tithing in the New Covenant and I might believe you. 

You say tithing was not abolished, yet the Bible says otherwise.  The ordinances were abolished by Jesus Christ.  Tithing was an ordinance.

Luke 6 says nothing about tithing.  Nice try though.

YES the law of the OT was abolished, I agree.  Tithes were before the law.  Tithes were given by Abraham to Melchizedek of what was used in trading and bargaining in early biblical times which was 10% of his gain in the fields.  

Hebrews 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. 

Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. 

In Luke this verse is about all things that come from the Lord, and that includes financial gains.  All comes from Him!

Please provide scripture for your view .... 

• Members

YES the law of the OT was abolished, I agree.  Tithes were before the law.  Tithes were given by Abraham to Melchizedek of what was used in trading and bargaining in early biblical times which was 10% of his gain in the fields.  

Hebrews 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. 

Genesis 14:20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all. 

In Luke this verse is about all things that come from the Lord, and that includes financial gains.  All comes from Him!

Please provide scripture for your view .... 

Once the Law was established, Melchizedek had to relinquish any authority he had to receive tithes.  Once the Law was established, none had the authority to receive tithes but those whom God said could receive them.

Numbers 18:24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

Numbers 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.

Numbers 18:28 Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest.

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee. At the end of three years thou shalt bring forth all the tithe of thine increase the same year, and shalt lay it up within thy gates: And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which are within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.

The above verses reveal who was authorized to receive tithes under the Law.  None else could receive them.

Now, you admit that the Law was abolished.  We're getting somewhere.  Show me where, after the Law was abolished,

a ) the Church was commanded to tithe
b ) the Church was commanded to tithe money

I'll wait.

• Members

Notice the verse does not say, "Tithe, and it shall be given unto you..."

• Members

Once the Law was established, Melchizedek had to relinquish any authority he had to receive tithes.  Once the Law was established, none had the authority to receive tithes but those whom God said could receive them.

I'll wait.

Melchizedek is Jesus Christ in the OT.  He relinquished no authority ever.  

Thank you for waiting ..... 

• Members

Melchizedek is Jesus Christ in the OT.  He relinquished no authority ever.  

Thank you for waiting ..... 

Melchizedek is not Jesus Christ.  Whoever told you he was?

Melchizedek was an established king of an earthly kingdom.  Jesus Christ's Kingdom is not of this world. 

• Members

Hebrews 7:3 carries the proof that Melchizedek was not Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 7:3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.

The key words in that verse I bolded.  "LIKE UNTO".

Like unto is used for comparison.  Melchizedek was like the Son of God, he was not the Son of God.

• Members

Melchizedek is not Jesus Christ.  Whoever told you he was?

Melchizedek was an established king of an earthly kingdom.  Jesus Christ's Kingdom is not of this world. 

I have studied OT Melchizedek is Jesus Christ.  

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 

After His ascension in Acts He is at the right hand of the Father, not on earth any longer.

2 Timothy 2:15-16 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness. 

I have shown by scripture, and not my opinion, how this is Truth.  I will not post anything further to prove this truth because it goes against scripture and how to treat a brother in Christ.

Archived