• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Post That Will Not Stand Long Here (Tithing)

The Glory Land

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You didn't read the rest of my post, SFIC.  And, it is our business not yours.  You just like to cause trouble with me.  You must love fighting.  I am done...

How can you say I didn't read the rest of your post?  Just to let you know, I had read the entire post before even posting my post.  I even read your post aloud to my wife.

• Members

I tithe according to e) acknowledgment and thankfulness of God's provision and my dependence on Him (Gen 14:16-20) which is in perfect harmony with 2 Cor 9:7.

Thanks, TheSword.  Yes, Genesis 14:16-20 is in "perfect harmony" with II Corinthians 9:7.  :icon_smile:

My mistake above, as well.  The scripture should have read:

"The Cheerful Giver"... "Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." ~ II Corinthians 9:7

Too much multi-tasking for me, today.  ;)

• Members

the word "purposeth" in 2 Corinthians 9:7 is translated from the Greek "proaireomai" and means "to choose for oneself.

I see nothing wrong with giving 10% if one chooses for oneself to give that.  But to give 10% because of the reasons I listed above, is not what Paul was teaching.  Paul never taught the monetary tithe requirement doctrine in either of his Corinthians epistles.  Nor did he teach it in any of the pastoral epistles.  Nor did he teach it in any other epistle that he wrote.

• Administrators

Am I a sinner if I give more than you? No  If your giving is done in pride, yes

Am I a sinner if I give less then you? No  

Am I a sinner if I don't give at all? No  Actually, yes you are a sinner if you don't give at all...because God does tell us to give...He tells us to give with a cheerful heart.  If our hearts aren't cheerful, we need to examine them and get right with God, because He doesn't want anyone of us down in the dumps...

Am I a sinner if I talk about giving?  NO  But the answer is yes if the "talking" is done in an unbiblical manner, which all too often happens with these threads

• Members

As to the questions put forth by TGL,

The answers are conditional.

Am I a sinner if I give more than you?  That would depend on your reason for giving.  Is it to show off your wealth?  or to brag to others how you made so-and-so rich?  Then, yes.  you would be sinning.

Am I a sinner if I give less then you? Again, that depends.  What if God wanted you to give more than what you gave?  If you gave less than me, and God wanted you to give more than me, you would be sinning.

Am I a sinner if I don't give at all? Again, that would depend on why you would not give anything.  Is it because you have nothing to give? or is it because you have to give but want to spend that money on your something ungodly?  John said if we see someone in need and shut up our bowels of compassion (we don't help to meet that need when we have the means to do so ) how dwelleth the Love of God in us?  So Yes, if you give nothing, you could be sinning... depending on the reason for not giving and the circumstances.

Am I a sinner if I talk about giving?  Again, it's an either/or.  What is your motive for "talking about giving" Is it to brag about your righteousness?  is it to encourage others to be sensitive to needs around them?

• Members

Where does Genesis 14:16-20 say that tithing was done out of thankfulness of of God's provision and dependence on Him?

In the context, particularly verse 20 and can be inferred from vv 20-24 as well. Since it won't change your mind on the passage, I'm not going to expend the effort explaining it all again. The bottom line is that my heart is right in both practice and teaching.

• Members

the word "purposeth" in 2 Corinthians 9:7 is translated from the Greek "proaireomai" and means "to choose for oneself.

I see nothing wrong with giving 10% if one chooses for oneself to give that.  But to give 10% because of the reasons I listed above, is not what Paul was teaching.  Paul never taught the monetary tithe requirement doctrine in either of his Corinthians epistles.  Nor did he teach it in any of the pastoral epistles.  Nor did he teach it in any other epistle that he wrote.

SFIC, said:  "I see nothing wrong with giving 10% if one chooses for oneself to give that."

Now you've got it!  At our former IFB church, we used to give 20%.  We have cut back.  10% is the least we can give.  It is a good number to work with.  My hubby is a numbers man.  He says that we should, at least, give 10% based on our finances.  I obey him, as I am his wife.  We have been blessed by the Lord so much that we want to give back to Him.  That is all...

• Members

Here's something interesting concerning 2 Corinthians 9:7....

Paul was telling the Corinthians that God did not want them to give if they were in need themselves of the money.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

As I pointed out previously, the word purposeth in that verse is speaking of one choosing for oneself what one gives.

But now, let's look at the word "necessity" in that verse.  The word "necessity" is translated from the Greek "anangke" and it's primary definition is distress.

God does not want us giving if our giving will put us in financial distress.

We are told elsewhere that we are to be faithful stewards.  If we have needs at home, our home needs should not be neglected.  If we have bills, our bills should not be neglected. 

The meeting of household needs come first before giving to others.  God does not want our giving to be such that we end up not having the means to meet our own needs.

Archived