• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Post That Will Not Stand Long Here (Tithing)

The Glory Land

• Members

Ah, sweet victimhood... :musicboohoo:

Arbo, I don't think TGL is "trolling" nor do I think he is acting like a victim.  He is just trying to learn.  I am part of this coversation and I am not upset.  I am learning, as well.  TheSword brought up some interesting things based on the Greek language.  I find it very informative.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Arbo, I don't think TGL is "trolling" nor do I think he is acting like a victim.  He is just trying to learn.  I am part of this coversation and I am not upset.  I am learning, as well.  TheSword brought up some interesting things based on the Greek language.  I find it very informative.

Perhaps you are right.  The last thing I'd want to do is hinder a brother's walk.  

Thanks for the gentle rebuke.

• Members

Arbo, I don't think TGL is "trolling" nor do I think he is acting like a victim. He is just trying to learn. I am part of this coversation and I am not upset. I am learning, as well. TheSword brought up some interesting things based on the Greek language. I find it very informative.

Actually he has admitted at times that he likes to "stir the pot".
But he is generally not nasty with it.

A good natured troll maybe????
;)

• Members

Actually he has admitted at times that he likes to "stir the pot".
But he is generally not nasty with it.

A good natured troll maybe????
;)

I think TGL likes to have fun.  Sometimes OB is too serious.  No, he is not nasty with it.  "A good natured troll?"  :nuts:

• Members

The long and the short of it is tithing was an ordinance under the Mosaic/Levitic Law and the ordinances were abolished by Christ Jesus.

Yes, there was tithing prior to the Law.  But when the Law was established, ALL THE TITHE OF THE LAND was given to the levites.

In 66 A.D., the writer of the Epistle to the Hebrews wrote that there was a new covenant being ushered in and that the old was ready to vanish away.  The old did vanish away in 70 A.D..

In 70 A.D., Titus and his army invaded Jerusalem and tore down the Temple, scattering the Levites and the Aaronic priests.  They could no longer do the things they had been doing. 

There is no command to tithe in the New Covenant.  none whatsoever.  This monetary tithe doctrine being preached today is of a man-made construct and not of God. 

God never told man to tithe his money in the New Covenant.

• Administrators

Well, I still can't use the Quote feature, so sorry for not quoting.

The "pot stirring" is somewhat in jest and intended to provoke thought and reasoned discussion; not to stir trouble. That's a big difference, and not the trademark of trolls.

Correct, John. And that's the reason the thread wasn't closed outright.  And won't be closed as long as it stays civil.  ;)

• Members

Yep, this is a touchy subject TGL.  If one takes the Bible as a whole, as we should, tithing 10% of our gross income is Biblical.  How are churches supposed to function without support from the saints?  Churches get no money from the government, PTL, so where is the money, to run these churches, supposed to come from?  Hmmm.  Some Christians pick and choose what they want, regarding the Word of God, and leave out the rest.  That is up to them.  I don't argue with Christians about tithing b/c it is between them and the Lord Jesus Christ.  We will have to answer to God for a whole lot at the Judgement Seat of Christ.  Tithing might be one of those things.  I don't know. 

I heard one preacher say one time that a person should tithe on their gross income. I have a question about that. This is in no way condemning candlelight for what she is doing. A portion of my income (which should get to be a larger portion all the time) is cost plus. That means when I spend a dollar on supplies or a sub contractor I collect $1.10. Now as time goes by I should get to the point that the majority of my income is the cost plus. Now lets say my gross income for a year is $100,000.00. My tithe for the year on my gross income would be $10,000.00. But it being earned on cost plus, my bills/payout would be around  $9080.00. So my total payout including the tithe would be $100,080.00. Just wondering is it correct that I should tithe on my gross income????

• Members

I think most agree here that the tithe is done away as is all the physical evidences of faith the Lord required prior to pouring out of His Spirit. Now, that is not to say that evidences of faith will not be required again once the Spirit is removed from the earth (but that is another thread topic entirely).

The point is not your gross or net or percentage. The point made by the Lord and the early church was if you have enough to buy yourself something you don't need but other members can't make their necessary bills and you don't give, then THAT is sin.

How is that for stirring the pot. I think far more is wanted by God of us now than any 10%. 10% was for unregenerate Israel.

• Members

Give gross or net? Easy, give gross if you feel like, give net if you feel like, give with a cheerful heart. For we cannot out give God. This is why I will always be a member of a small church, were poor and happy. :)

Now, why didn't I just say this in the beginning, TGL?  Great post.  :sign0200:  My church is "poor and happy" too.  We are also a small church. 

• Members

I have also heard a preacher preach that the tithe should be 10% of gross. When this pastor was questioned by a newbie about how much to give to Faith Promise the pastor's reply was "start out equal to your tithe and give more each year (implying a tithe of 10%, Failth Promise another 10%).

• Members

I have also heard a preacher preach that the tithe should be 10% of gross. When this pastor was questioned by a newbie about how much to give to Faith Promise the pastor's reply was "start out equal to your tithe and give more each year (implying a tithe of 10%, Failth Promise another 10%).

Sadly, I don't think the pastor knows what the Word of God, says IJ2:15-17.  None of my pastors have ever preached on tithing or giving.  A Faith Promise is something that we give with a cheerful heart, as well.

Archived