• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Post That Will Not Stand Long Here (Tithing)

The Glory Land

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This post will be deleted or lock out very soon. :(  This sould not be, and I cannot understand why? Are we all not mature Christians here? This is why the bible say, for we all fall short to His Glory. Have a nice day.

TGL ..  :knuppel:   i will be watching.

Yep, this is a touchy subject TGL.  If one takes the Bible as a whole, as we should, tithing 10% of our gross income is Biblical.  How are churches supposed to function without support from the saints?  Churches get no money from the government, PTL, so where is the money, to run these churches, supposed to come from?  Hmmm.  Some Christians pick and choose what they want, regarding the Word of God, and leave out the rest.  That is up to them.  I don't argue with Christians about tithing b/c it is between them and the Lord Jesus Christ.  We will have to answer to God for a whole lot at the Judgement Seat of Christ.  Tithing might be one of those things.  I don't know. 

• Members

This post will be deleted or lock out very soon. :(  This sould not be, and I cannot understand why? Are we all not mature Christians here? This is why the bible say, for we all fall short to His Glory. Have a nice day.

TGL ..  :knuppel:   i will be watching.

Did I miss a link or something???

• Members

Yep, this is a touchy subject TGL.  If one takes the Bible as a whole, as we should, tithing 10% of our gross income is Biblical.  How are churches supposed to function without support from the saints?  Churches get no money from the government, PTL, so where is the money, to run these churches, supposed to come from?  Hmmm.  Some Christians pick and choose what they want, regarding the Word of God, and leave out the rest.  That is up to them.  I don't argue with Christians about tithing b/c it is between them and the Lord Jesus Christ.  We will have to answer to God for a whole lot at the Judgement Seat of Christ.  Tithing might be one of those things.  I don't know. 

We can buy the tracts and books like the JW do, then hand them out for free for salvation.

• Moderators

I still find tithing nowhere in the New testament. Tithing is legalistic, it is a requirement, yet we are to to give NOT out of necessity, but of love. We ARE to give, certainly, but NOT because someone is brow-beating you into giving because it is required. We give with a joyful heart because we want to give, because we love the work of God. When this is the requirement, we find out just who really loves the Lord and His work. When we given out of necessity because we are required by some church covenant to tithe 10% of our pre-tax income, it showns no love, just someone paying his dues, no different than one at the gym.

If you see this as stirring the pot, sorry. Just Bible.

Malachi 3:6a

For I am the Lord, I change not;

Our giving reflects our love for God.

When is the last time you ate pork?

• Members

I don't see the connection, candlelight.  How does the Bible teach that we are to tithe when it says tithing was an ordinance and that the ordinances were abolished by Jesus Christ?

I pastored a fellowship for eight years and never had problems paying the bills.  The Fellowship has had a new pastor since 1996 when I had to step down due to health issues.  They still do not teach tithing and are still preaching and teaching the Word of God, equipping the saints for the furtherance of the Gospel in their communities.  So the claim that Church's can't survive without collecting tithes is not accurate.

There is no instruction in the Word of God for man to tithe his money.

• Members

The Biblical tithe was never monetary....it was agricultural.  Crops, flocks and herds....not because there was a lack of money at that time, but because this is what God commanded that His tithe must consist of.

Leviticus 27:30 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD.
Leviticus 27:31 And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof.
Leviticus 27:32 And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD.
Leviticus 27:33 He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed.
Leviticus 27:34 These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

The local church is supported by the sacrificial GIVING (giving is not tithing) of its members, not their tithes. There is no universal percentage given in the NT.  What is given in the NT is instruction for one to give of his own volition and will.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

• Members

Malachi 3:6a

For I am the Lord, I change not;

Our giving reflects our love for God.

The giving of tithes in Malachi 3 was agricultural tithes as per Leviticus 27:30-33.  It was not money. 

So if God does not change, and His Word records no instruction for a monetary tithe, why teach a monetary tithe?

• Members

I still find tithing nowhere in the New testament. Tithing is legalistic, it is a requirement, yet we are to to give NOT out of necessity, but of love. We ARE to give, certainly, but NOT because someone is brow-beating you into giving because it is required. We give with a joyful heart because we want to give, because we love the work of God. When this is the requirement, we find out just who really loves the Lord and His work. When we given out of necessity because we are required by some church covenant to tithe 10% of our pre-tax income, it showns no love, just someone paying his dues, no different than one at the gym.

If you see this as stirring the pot, sorry. Just Bible.

When is the last time you ate pork?

I agree with you Mike.  When i tried giving 10%, it didn't feel like it was coming from the heart but a requirement I didn't feel I could live up to.  Now I give what I can.  Sometimes more, sometimes less, but now it is from the heart and I actually feel like a cheerful giver.  OT law was actually more than 10% if you do the math.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Archived