• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

While Reading My Bible Yesterday...

candlelight

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It has been said that the way to get rid of a bad addiction is to replace it with a good one.

addicted (adj.) dictionary.gif 1530s, "delivered over" by judicial sentence; past participle adjective from addict (v.). Modern sense of "dependent" is short for self-addicted "to give over or award (oneself) to someone or some practice" (1560s; exact phrase from c.1600); specialization to narcotics dependency is from c.1910.

• Members

ASOD, I didn't want to start another post on addiction.  I just wanted to talk about this scripture, "I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Steph'-a-nas, that it is the firstfruits of A-cha'-ia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) ~ I Corinthians 16:15.

"have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints."

That is all...

• Members

I do so wish I could be in a good Independent Baptist Church again where they use nothing but the King James Bible. I know many kind Pentecostal, Methodist, Southern Baptist, Church of Christ folks who I show hospitality to but I don't want anything to do with some of their doctrine. That is the problem.

The word "addicted" in the King James, according to Strongs, was translated from the Greek word tasso,. This is the same Greek word translated as "ordained" in Acts 13:48.  Some folks claim that the word "ordained" means that God predetermined the Gentiles, in Acts 13:48 to eternal life. This, I believe is a slander to the character of God. Keeping that in mind, I can "minister" to such folks who teach this "limited atonement.unconditional election" doctrine as well as to those who teach that we can be saved by baptism, keeping ourselves saved, eating a wafer, or whatever; but I am not to bid them "godspeed", partake, or condone in their false teachings in any way. Yes, we are supposed to minister to all and especially the saints. But, again, a 'saint' is someone saved by grace through faith plus or minus nothing.

....and would at least one person "like" this so I can get "666" out from under my Avatar? :)

That is why I quoted Ephesians 2:8-9 in my first post, heartstrings.  :) 

• Members

Ephesians 2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Not even "Freewill Baptists", for instance, are really trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary by grace through faith because they have to keep themselves saved and the same is true of Pentecostals. Likewise, the Church of Christ are trusting in themselves as well because they're depending on being baptized. And somehow I can't see how someone with the witness of the Holy Ghost living inside can allow themselves to remain in the Catholic Church very long at all. How can we fellowship with these who teach the unfruitful works of darkness without reproving them as we are commanded? How can there be harmony with reproving and how can two walk together except they agree?

• Members

Ephesians 2:8,9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Not even "Freewill Baptists", for instance, are really trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ and His finished work on Calvary by grace through faith because they have to keep themselves saved and the same is true of Pentecostals. Likewise, the Church of Christ are trusting in themselves as well because they're depending on being baptized. And somehow I can't see how someone with the witness of the Holy Ghost living inside can allow themselves to remain in the Catholic Church very long at all. How can we fellowship with these who teach the unfruitful works of darkness without reproving them as we are commanded? How can there be harmony with reproving and how can two walk together except they agree?

I know all about "Freewill Baptists" heartstrings.  My first pastor grew up FB, until the Lord convicted him, saved him, and he joined the IFB church.  My first pastor covered their mixed up doctrine quite well, before I got saved.

I don't associate with Pentacostals that much, anymore.  I tried to help them on Facebook.  Their docrine makes my head spin.  I know of one person who is in the Church of Christ.  She and her husband are related to my sister.  I don't associate with them.

I don't understand the Roman Catholics, except to say that I was once in the RCC.  I believe family ties are the reason they stay.  I do know several saved Roman Catholics who believe Ephesians 2:8-9, though, plus or minus nothing else.  I ask them how they know for sure they are going to heaven.  Yes, these RCC people are saved.  I can only hope that God uses them in the RCC to bring others to Christ.  Maybe, Satan is using them?  I don't know...

I can only continue to be a testimony to them, to hopefully bring them out of the RCC. 

• Members

The word "addicted" in the TGL version.    A person that wakes up at 3am to check who is posting online. :coverlaugh:

I'll have to confess my addiction. During the week I usually will wake up around 3am; at which time I'll go and get me a :coffee2:.  Feel free to put this on your list of "Why I Think Bro K is So Weird".  AND/OR "What Bro K Does To Get Away From His Wife".

• Members

ASOD, I didn't want to start another post on addiction.  I just wanted to talk about this scripture, "I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Steph'-a-nas, that it is the firstfruits of A-cha'-ia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) ~ I Corinthians 16:15.

"have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints."

That is all...

I'm discussing this post. Maybe these saints were addicted to something and realized the best thing to do is replace that addiction with a good one, i.e. ministering to the saints. You need to fill that void when you give up an addiction.

• Members

I'm discussing this post. Maybe these saints were addicted to something and realized the best thing to do is replace that addiction with a good one, i.e. ministering to the saints. You need to fill that void when you give up an addiction.

I believe this scripture is not about an actual "addiction" as we see in the world, ASOD.  God's Word says what it says and means what it says.  I have been taught that there is one interpretation and that belongs to God.  However, there are many applications, and that applies to man.  I believe II Peter 1:20-21 applies here. 

"Knowing this first, that "no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man, but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

• Members

I would like to find a church where they addicted dedicated themselves to the ministry of the saints.

I would like to find a church where they were dedicated to koinonia, edification and agape.

Agreed, beameup.  That is something to strive for.  I know this starts with me. 

I came across this scripture to build up the body of Christ.  This body also exists on OB.  I would like us the strive for "the ministry of the saints" on OB, as well.

• Members

The modern useage of the word "addicted" always carries the connotation of being dependent on a drug or obsessed with some type of sin. But I don't think that was the meaning at all here. Perhaps they pursued the ministry of the saints until it became a compulsion or obsession...albeit a good one.

• Members

The modern useage of the word "addicted" always carries the connotation of being dependent on a drug or obsessed with some type of sin. But I don't think that was the meaning at all here. Perhaps they pursued the ministry of the saints until it became a compulsion or obsession...albeit a good one.

Yes, I agree heartstrings.  We shouldn't take the modern usage as you said, and equate it's meaning with God' usage of the word, "addicted".  In these last days, I believe we (the saints) should have that "compulsion or obsession" as the saints in the Bible did, especially if we want to see Revival in this world.  Hearts are hungry for the Word of God.  I see it everywhere.  Amen!  It is "a good compulsion."

• Members

Please remember if you love them you will tell them to do what ever makes them happy & never correct them.  :smug:

Kind of like the parents of a young child who got run over while playing in the street. 

Someone asked them about this & they said. Our daughter always wanted to play in the street, & we loved her so much we did not want to do anything at all to take her happiness away from her so we let her play in the street anytime she wished.

That person asked, "You mean you would never tell her not to play in the street, that you let her play in the street anything she wanted to?"

The father replied, "Yes, we loved her so much we just could not ever tell her no, we could never do anything that might make her unhappy. However we got on to her for playing in the street once but she threw a fit & cried all night long so after that incident we just let here do whatever she wanted to do & never told her no to anything. We just could not stand making her unhappy. We are very thankful that at least she died happy playing in the street."

We have many professing Christians today that thinks this is how you & I should show our love for them. By encourage them to do whatever makes them happy, & never reprove them for disobeying God. Of course if we went by what they want we would not be obeying our Lord, so we should go ahead & obey our Lord, & if they get mad expressing hate when we try to help them they're really getting mad at our Lord.

Of course our Lord does tell us this.

Tit 3:9 ¶ But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain.
Tit 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;
Tit 3:11 Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

There does come a time when we should just leave them alone of course at this point we can at pray for them to open their self up to the true Light letting it shine into them illuminating the darkness within them.

Archived