• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

While Reading My Bible Yesterday...

candlelight

• Members

I came across this scripture, "I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Steph'-a-nas, that it is the firstfruits of A-cha'-ia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) ~ I Corinthians 16:15. 

Notice the word, addiction in that scripture?  This is the only time this word comes up in the Word of God.  Although, there are other forms of this word in scripture. 

I have been praying for peace amongst the brethren.  And, by "brethren" I mean all born again Christians, as I know there are saved people in all Christian denominations.  I am an IFB by choice, but I am a Christian first.  I think I need to remember that the "ministry of the saints" includes all of us who have excepted Jesus Christ by "salvation by grace through faith".  See Ephesians 2:8-9.

BTW, I was looking for the "Mountain Dew" thread and couldn't find it.  We all remember it was the exhaustive thread on "addiction."  :biggrin:  I thought I would post a separate thread on this, instead.  It works out fine for me, because I wouldn't want to bring up that thread again, anyway.  ;)

Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear, TheSword.  I was trying to say that the only thing we should be "addicted" to in this life is the ministry of the saints.  This includes all saints, not just IFBs.  I see so much arguing amongst born again Christians on Facebook and yes, at times, on OB.  We know we are living in perilous times.  As we post on OB, we should remember that not everyone is an IFB.  Although, that would be ideal, it isn't the case.  We need to be mindful of saved Christians in other denominations, as well.  I have been cautious to post on OB, b/c of attacks made to me when I stick up for saved Roman Catholics.  They were saved outside of Romanism, and didn't get out of the RCC for whatever reason. 

I haven't posted about the numerous Hebrew Christians I have met on Facebook on OB, for fear of attack from the brethren.  Do you understand what I mean?  :)  

• Members

I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear, TheSword.  I was trying to say that the only thing we should be "addicted" to in this life is the ministry of the saints.  This includes all saints, not just IFBs.  I see so much arguing amongst born again Christians on Facebook and yes, at times, on OB.  We know we are living in perilous times.  As we post on OB, we should remember that not everyone is an IFB.  Although, that would be ideal, it isn't the case.  We need to be mindful of saved Christians in other denominations, as well.  I have been cautious to post on OB, b/c of attacks made to me when I stick up for saved Roman Catholics.  They were saved outside of Romanism, and didn't get out of the RCC for whatever reason. 

I haven't posted about the numerous Hebrew Christians I have met on Facebook on OB, for fear of attack from the brethren.  Do you understand what I mean?  :)  

I have been cautious to post on OB, b/c of attacks made to me.  I understand where you're coming from. Sometime I feel as if there are a few who are looking for something negative in what you have to say. When you hit a sore spot; you usually get a loud response.  :verymad:    I've experienced this in posting in the Humor Section.

• Members

I have been cautious to post on OB, b/c of attacks made to me.  I understand where you're coming from. Sometime I feel as if there are a few who are looking for something negative in what you have to say. When you hit a sore spot; you usually get a loud response.  :verymad:    I've experienced this in posting in the Humor Section.

I wear my suit of armor, when I am posting here or I run.... :Bolt:

• Members

Yep, Bro K.  Well, in my case it is one person.  I love standing up for IFB doctrine and defending the KJV; however, attacking a person's posts is not necessary.  Disagreeing is one thing, but an actual attack is another.  Why do people always feel the need to be right?  Can't a person discuss, without attack?  I find posts like that very immature.   

Exactly, TGL!  I want to :runforhills: when I meet Christians like that. 

• Members

I do so wish I could be in a good Independent Baptist Church again where they use nothing but the King James Bible. I know many kind Pentecostal, Methodist, Southern Baptist, Church of Christ folks who I show hospitality to but I don't want anything to do with some of their doctrine. That is the problem.

The word "addicted" in the King James, according to Strongs, was translated from the Greek word tasso,. This is the same Greek word translated as "ordained" in Acts 13:48.  Some folks claim that the word "ordained" means that God predetermined the Gentiles, in Acts 13:48 to eternal life. This, I believe is a slander to the character of God. Keeping that in mind, I can "minister" to such folks who teach this "limited atonement.unconditional election" doctrine as well as to those who teach that we can be saved by baptism, keeping ourselves saved, eating a wafer, or whatever; but I am not to bid them "godspeed", partake, or condone in their false teachings in any way. Yes, we are supposed to minister to all and especially the saints. But, again, a 'saint' is someone saved by grace through faith plus or minus nothing.

....and would at least one person "like" this so I can get "666" out from under my Avatar? :)

• Members

I've noticed that in the "humor" section.  Unfortunately, what's meant to be a joke gets serious pretty quick.

• Members

I kind of like the definition given in Webster's 1828 Dictionary.

ADDICT'ED, pp. Devoted by customary practice.

With that said I will always stand with my Lord Jesus & never pat anyone on the back nor encourage them to stay on a false path, I will encourage them to come out from among them just as we are taught to do. 

Many denominations do not teach its members how to be saved, & we should not encourage them.

Archived