• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - On Doubting Salvation And Struggling With The Christian Life

RSS Robot

• Members

Really? I didn't know that! I used to love Joyce Meyers also! But now I just see her as a big bully with a weak willed whipped husband.

I Feel sorry for the abuse she had to endure but she never stops mentioning it and wonder if she is truly past it.  I think she's mingled in with the prosperity teachers so I steer clear of that.

• Members

Really? I didn't know that! I used to love Joyce Meyers also! But now I just see her as a big bully with a weak willed whipped husband.

I have an aunt who really likes here. So earlier this year I suffered through reading two of her books my aunt liked and I forced myself to watch a few of her programs. Then I talked with my aunt about the unbiblical things and the questionable things, all in a kind, civil, friendly manner. All to no avail. When we were finished talking my aunt still thinks Joyce is great, still watches her program most every day and still thinks it's helping her grow closer to the Lord. Sigh.

This aunt also attends the Baptist church which a few years ago hired a female associate pastor.

• Members

I Feel sorry for the abuse she had to endure but she never stops mentioning it and wonder if she is truly past it.  I think she's mingled in with the prosperity teachers so I steer clear of that.

I noticed that when I read two of her books earlier this year. In both of them she brought up the same stuff and seemed to spend too much time on it.

I'm not saying this in a mean way, just the way it is, but her voice, hair and mannerism really creep me out.

• Members

I noticed that when I read two of her books earlier this year. In both of them she brought up the same stuff and seemed to spend too much time on it.

I'm not saying this in a mean way, just the way it is, but her voice, hair and mannerism really creep me out.

My husband thinks she looks like the Joker from Batman.  LOL!  He just can't take her seriously.  She mentions her voice and that people don't like it.  

• Members

Eternal Security:

I was saved when I was 5 years old, but never grew SPIRITUALLY.  I was in a good church and went to a good IFB Christian School.  I grew intellectually, but all that good information only made it to my head, not to my heart.  It did not change my life.  Once I got out of high school and on my own some, the Lord did some things to isolate me and work on my heart over some things.  I decided to give my life to the Lord and serve him.  It was not long after that decision that I began to doubt my salvation.  My questions generally centered around a couple of different themes:

Did I say the right thing when I prayed?

Was I sincere?  Did I really mean it?

I was really worried, to the point of being paralyzed from serving the Lord - the proverbial "deer caught in the headlights" syndrome.  So I bought a couple of sermons on cassette (yes, that was a few years back!!!) and a couple of sermon booklets on the matter.  The thing that caught my attention in one sermon was this question: "What are you trusting in RIGHT NOW to get you to Heaven?" 

I thought about that for awhile, and I had to say that I was trusting completely in Jesus Christ and what He did for me on Calvary. 

Well, if that is what I was trusting, then, ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE I was a saved, born-again Christian.

And to me that is what it all boils down to.  What are you trusting in RIGHT NOW to save you, and upon what authority are you trusting that?  Is it just your opinion, or what your preacher told you, or the "prayer" you "prayed?"  If your trust is in anything else than Jesus Christ, based upon the authority of the Holy Bible, then you will continue to have doubts.  We have to learn to take all of the emotion out of these equations, and trust in the Living words of the Living God to give us peace and assurance. 

I won't rehash all of the verses on eternal security here, since I am sure most - if not all - of you are familiar with them.  But that knowledge must be transferred from the head to the heart. 

Of course, after I went through all of that and received assurance of my salvation, I then had to ask myself if I needed to be rebaptized.  So I prayed about it, in light of the studying and praying I had been doing.  Since I now had transferred the authority of my salvation to faith in Christ based on the Bible, then I had to conclude that what I did as a 5 year old child was legitimate, because as best as I can remember, I was sincere in my profession, and my profession of faith was based upon the Bible.  At that point, I had called upon the Lord out of pure, simple faith in Jesus Christ, according to the word of the Lord.   Since I was baptized following that profession of faith, there was no need to be re-baptized.

I gave the short version of the story here, but hopefully it is enough to illustrate the point.

In Christ.

• Members

Joker, lol! I do have her book Beauty for Ashes that talked about her abuse specifically. I haven't listened or read her for years so I don't know about her constantly rehashing of the abuse. But it's like anybody about anything, it gets old. I don't think it's her voice people don't like I think it's HER. Butch haircut, walks like a man, outfits look like they're sewn on her.

• Members

My husband thinks she looks like the Joker from Batman.  LOL!  He just can't take her seriously.  She mentions her voice and that people don't like it.  

I can kind of see the Joker from Batman..... and he should not take her seriously...... she should not be preaching anyways.

Her preaching is all about self and not so much about God.  She is a woman and women do not preach!

• Members

I'm considered the religious nut in the family now since attending IFB! All my aunts and my mom are offended now because I don't want their books by all the popular Christian writers or I don't want their old copies of Charisma magazine. They think I'm crazy cuz I don't wear pants anymore. I won't go to their Christian concerts with them anymore. or want their old Christian artist CD's. I've said before that I've learned more about the REAL Christianity and the Bible KJV in past almost 2 yrs in IFB than in the past 19yrs. of being saved!

Me too.  I'm still not on board with the pants v. skirts though.  :-)

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you." John 15:18

"Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:10

"Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you,..." Matthew 5:11

Archived