• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

United Church Of God

Left the Bldg

• Moderators

Parallel the family structure (I am intentionally deleting the labels in lieu of the packages).

Technically: My wife, kids still at home and myself would constitute my IMMEDIATE family.

Once a child married, a new IMMEDIATE family was formed (my daughter now has a new authority - her husband now is final say in conflicting decisions, not me. THEY are their home's standards setter, not me.) They are now part of the EXTENDED family. They are still family but I have no say (outside of recommendation or suggestion) as to (for example) whether or not the kids play on the furniture.

Bible Baptist Church in Goodland, Ks is a gathering point for the born again in this IMMEDIATE area with the authority to determine whether the "children" can play on the furniture, Colby Independent Baptist Church in Colby, Ks (leaving Goodland Bible Church or Pleasant Home Church out of the picture to avoid dual issues) is still a gathering point, but EXTENDED and we have no basis to decide that their "children" can't play on their furniture.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Metaphorically speaking, aren't we on this forum (the born again believers) all part of the "body?"  Some on here are preachers, some know how to teach, some are encouragers...those are some of the gifts of the body of Christ but we all go to different local churches.  Even when I went to AOG, as a born again, saved believer, I was still part of the body of Christ.  I was still just as much an arm as someone was an eye.  And if the rapture were to happen right now, God would not come for just an eye and leave the arm behind no matter what church you belong to.

• Members

Setting aside that some do not understand, I am amazed that those who should know are taking the local church so lightly.

What you believe about local / universal church really does make a difference to your doctrine.

How about the fact that it is only after they were baptised that they were added unto the church in Acts 2?

How does that fit with universal church?

If you say it makes little difference then Acts 2 teaches baptism before being added = baptismal regeneration.

local or universal church makes a HUGE difference and if you minimise it you open yourself up to false gospel.

• Members

Setting aside that some do not understand, I am amazed that those who should know are taking the local church so lightly.

What you believe about local / universal church really does make a difference to your doctrine.

How about the fact that it is only after they were baptised that they were added unto the church in Acts 2?

How does that fit with universal church?

If you say it makes little difference then Acts 2 teaches baptism before being added = baptismal regeneration.

local or universal church makes a HUGE difference and if you minimise it you open yourself up to false gospel.

Local church has it's purpose.  I'm not minimizing it.  We are not to forsake the assembly of ourselves.  It's used for teaching, growing spiritually, edifying each other.  However, I was just as much part of the body of Christ in the AOG as I am now in IFB.  I was saved in that church.  That church didn't save me.  I was saved through grace by faith in Jesus Christ even though I was at AOG.  I guess that is my point.  There are saved people in all kinds of churches.  Even in the Catholic church.  Why they stay in the the Catholic church after being saved, I can't answer.  Some stay because they don't know any better or out of tradition or fear of change.  Just like I stayed in AOG for years even though I was saved and didn't agree with some of their doctrine.  It took me years to leave.   

• Members

Here's how I view it...

1.  I am a "local church" advocate.  I believe that God uses local churches as the mode of operation in his work.

2.  I also accept a "universal church".  Not the mystical universal church, but the living universal church which is made up of all believers around the world.

Christ said that he would build his church...not his churches.  He also said that the gates of hell shall not prevail against it...not them.

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Perhaps I misunderstand this, but it seems that one of the most popular arguments against the "universal" church is basically this...the church is a living organism; you can't "see or be part of" a universal church, but you can see and be a part of a local church.

Well, I agree with that, but at the same time, I don't understand how the underground believers in China who meet secretly in people's homes aren't also the church.  I can't "see" them, but I believe they're part of Christ's body. 

So while I agree strongly with the local church, I also accept that all true believers around the world are part of Christ's church; therefore, they are part of Christ's body and his bride.

• Members

Here's how I view it...

1.  I am a "local church" advocate.  I believe that God uses local churches as the mode of operation in his work.

2.  I also accept a "universal church".  Not the mystical universal church, but the living universal church which is made up of all believers around the world.

Christ said that he would build his church...not his churches.  He also said that the gates of hell shall not prevail against it...not them.

Matthew 16:18
And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Perhaps I misunderstand this, but it seems that one of the most popular arguments against the "universal" church is basically this...the church is a living organism; you can't "see or be part of" a universal church, but you can see and be a part of a local church.

Well, I agree with that, but at the same time, I don't understand how the underground believers in China who meet secretly in people's homes aren't also the church.  I can't "see" them, but I believe they're part of Christ's body. 

So while I agree strongly with the local church, I also accept that all true believers around the world are part of Christ's church; therefore, they are part of Christ's body and his bride.

Well said.  My thoughts exactly.

• Members

:nanner: :nanner:Wow! My smilie thinking didn't even work in the last one!

I'll try that again

Interesting, I tried posting the smilie after "again" in the above sentence but it keeps going to the front of the post!

Wonder what will happen if I try to put it below here???

Very strange!

• Members

:)Hmmm...I'm now on it too, and it wouldn't let me quote you. It also took forever for it to sign me in!

Google Chrome was working fine.

Let me try something; if it helps, I'll let you know.

And just like you said, it put the smiley face in the wrong place too! It was supposed to be after "I'll let you know"...

Archived