• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

United Church Of God

Left the Bldg

• Members

Is anyone familiar with the United Church of God?  I am reading their beliefs because I have a friend that attends their church.  In reading some of their "topics", it sounds like they don't believe Jesus is God but was created by God, which doesn't makes sense because they further say Jesus eternally existed.  Below is their fundamental beliefs about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

We believe in one God, the Father, eternally existing, who is a Spirit, a personal Being of supreme intelligence, knowledge, love, justice, power and authority. He, through Jesus Christ, is the Creator of the heavens and the earth and all that is in them. He is the Source of life and the One for whom human life exists. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, who is the Word and has eternally existed. We believe that He is the Messiah, the Christ, the divine Son of the living God, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born in the human flesh of the virgin Mary. We believe that it is by Him that God created all things and that without Him was not anything made that was made. We believe in the Holy Spirit, as the Spirit of God and of Christ Jesus. The Holy Spirit is the power of God and the Spirit of life eternal (2 Timothy 1:7 Ephesians 4:6 1 Corinthians 8:6 John 1:1-4 ;Colossians 1:16).

They also have "food laws" and observe 7 annual Holy days given to ancient Israel.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

You're right, Inivicta.  It is one of the offshoots that came about after Armstrong died and the leadership tried to change some beliefs.

They don't believe in the Trinity. They believe the Holy Spirit is the power of both God and Christ rather than a distinct person of the Godhead.  They also believe in British Israelism. And they don't believe that the ceremonial law is done away with (hence the food laws and observations of the feasts).  They believe people who don't know or understand salvation will have another chance after the second resurrection. And they believe in a literal earthly kingdom , but not heaven - nor Hell, but rather that those who reject God will be annihilated (along with unrepentant "former believers") in the third resurrection.

• Administrators

Armstrong...that explains it.

What about the Church of Christ?  That is actually the church my friend belongs to not the Church of God.  Is that an affiliate as well or something totally different?

Church of Christ is totally different. As is Church of God. The key here is the "United" part, and then they tack on "an International Association" to differentiate from the pentecostal Church of God groups.

• Members

Here is the Church of Christ statement of belief.  I am having dinner with her tonight.  I grew up with and went to junior and high school with her.  She used to be Catholic.  She has invited me to her church often.

How to be Just a Christian

In few places is there so much disagreement as in answering the Bible question, “What must I do to be saved?” (Acts 16: 30) Here again churches of Christ reply by going to the scriptures for their answer. The Bible teaches that Christ shed His blood for our sins (Matthew 26:28), and that without it we cannot be saved. (Hebrews 9:22) But what does Jesus require of us if we are to appropriate that sacrifice? Those who crucified Him were told to “know assuredly” or believe that Jesus is “both Lord and Christ.” (Acts 2: 36) When these people on the day of Pentecost then asked for further information, they were told, “Repent ye, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ unto the remission of your sins.” (Acts 2:38) Today we teach as did the apostles then that for Christ’s blood to remove our sins we must as believers in Him repent and be baptized. As we are thus saved from our sins, the Lord adds us to His body, the church. “And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.” (Acts 2: 47) “ For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body.” (1 Corinthians 12: 13) The saved, then, are in the body or church of Christ; one cannot be saved and be outside the body.

The early disciples were Christians only. Although we live 1,900 years later, we too can be Christians only if we will follow the same teachings given to these first followers of Jesus. Christ said, “The seed is the word of God.” (Luke 8:11) Just as surely as a planted acorn will produce only an oak, so God’s Word will produce Christians and nothing more. We invite your earnest consideration to this plea. 

• Members

“ For in one Spirit were we all baptized into one body.” (1 Corinthians 12: 13) The saved, then, are in the body or church of Christ; one cannot be saved and be outside the body.

They don't use the King James Bible either.

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." 1 Corinthians 12:13

This verse simply means that the Holy Spirit has lead us to be baptized into our local church.  So many get it wrong and develop whole doctrines based on it.

http://www.baptistpillar.com/article_242.html

• Members

Church of Christ in Australia will often deny baptism is part of salvation, but then later talk about baptism keeping you 'safe'.
They are a group where I would say some get genuinely saved because they don't understand exactly what they teach.....
(SOME.....)

• Members

It is amazing how many different groups that most people consider 'salvation teaching' churches add something extra here or there.
When you investigate fully you find that very few churches actually teach salvation by grace through faith alone.

• Members

"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." 1 Corinthians 12:13

This verse simply means that the Holy Spirit has lead us to be baptized into our local church.  So many get it wrong and develop whole doctrines based on it.

No, it does not have anything to with water baptism. There is no water in 1 Corinthians 12:13.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

I thought the verse means to be baptized into a spiritual baptism.  I was not baptized in my local church that I attend now.  I did it in a different church.  They don't expect me to be baptized again in their church.  

Archived