• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Canon Of Scriptures

Donald

• Members

Recently I started reading through Matthew Henry’s commentary of the New Testament and in the preface a long drawn out(but good), discussion of the canon of the Bible is covered and from it I have been reminded of some things.

➀ The arguments or attacks that I have heard over the years by some, against it, can be quickly and simply dealt with, by the reminder that the members of God’s Churches each have the Holy Spirit and that the LORD Himself has seen to it, that His Word was protected and preserved; Therefore over the centuries the individual 66 books of the Bible have always been seen as Holy Writ, by even the basest members of the Church, while all other apocryphal writings are clearly seen as what they are.  God’s Holy Spirit within us, will protect us from being deceived.

➁ Also one of the earmarks of a cult, as giving weight to “extra-biblical writings”, isn’t only limited to all the well known groups that we are all familiar with, but with almost every individual Christ rejecting religious person throughout history.  In almost every case, a religious person who rejects Christ, finds the root of their problem in their rejection of God’s true Word.

------------------------
This is not intended to be scholarly at all.  I am clearly an unlearned and ignorant man, but I found this observation interesting and thought that I would share it.

• Members

Recently I started reading through Matthew Henry’s commentary of the New Testament and in the preface a long drawn out(but good), discussion of the canon of the Bible is covered and from it I have been reminded of some things.

➀ The arguments or attacks that I have heard over the years by some, against it, can be quickly and simply dealt with, by the reminder that the members of God’s Churches each have the Holy Spirit and that the LORD Himself has seen to it, that His Word was protected and preserved; 

This is not intended to be scholarly at all.  I am clearly an unlearned and ignorant man, but I found this observation interesting and thought that I would share it.

We're all ignorant about something but on this topic you hit the nail on the head.  The Lord promised to preserve His Word and He did, not the Pope or some society of scholars.

Careful with those notes from Matthew Henry, he was a Presbyterian and while conservative, still believed in a false, works based gospel.  I started out with a study bible and was lead astray.  My bible today contains only God's Word.

• Members

➀ The arguments or attacks that I have heard over the years by some, against it, can be quickly and simply dealt with, by the reminder that the members of God’s Churches each have the Holy Spirit and that the LORD Himself has seen to it, that His Word was protected and preserved; Therefore over the centuries the individual 66 books of the Bible have always been seen as Holy Writ, by even the basest members of the Church, while all other apocryphal writings are clearly seen as what they are.  God’s Holy Spirit within us, will protect us from being deceived.

➁ Also one of the earmarks of a cult, as giving weight to “extra-biblical writings”, isn’t only limited to all the well known groups that we are all familiar with, but with almost every individual Christ rejecting religious person throughout history.  In almost every case, a religious person who rejects Christ, finds the root of their problem in their rejection of God’s true Word.

------------------------

Indeed it's true that the books we call the cannon were already accepted as such among the churches of God before they were "officially" recognized as such. Each of the 66 books had/have the seal of the Spirit, were known among the churches as the Word of God.

At the same time, those books which the History Channel and Bible attackers like to point to and claim are also from God, were clearly understood to be fakes from the time they first appeared.

We can trust our Bible.

• Members

We're all ignorant about something but on this topic you hit the nail on the head.  The Lord promised to preserve His Word and He did, not the Pope or some society of scholars.

Careful with those notes from Matthew Henry, he was a Presbyterian and while conservative, still believed in a false, works based gospel.  I started out with a study bible and was lead astray.  My bible today contains only God's Word.

One has to use caution with all commentaries and notes in study Bibles. This is especially true for newer Christians, or ones who have never really read and studied the Bible much. All to often such will look to commentaries or study Bibles to explain the Word to them rather than relying upon the Spirit, the counsel of their pastor or help from mature Christians who could disciple them.

I've not yet seen a commentary or study Bible that didn't contain error, questionable content and oddities. Some commentaries and study Bibles can be helpful in some ways, but only with the guidance of the Spirit, much discernment and a careful examination of the Scripture.

I prefer my Bibles without note or commentary.

• Members

the more you spend in god word the more you learn i read the bible every day so spend 1 hr. reading and praying every day 

• Members

------------------------

the more spend in god word the more you learn. i read the bible every day. so spend 1hr god word and pray every day see what you learn some thing new every day.

• Members

Steer clear of the Thomas Nelson KJV Study Bible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though it's KJV, it's rife with notes of "correction" as seen in "the older manuscripts".

That's also one of the problems with the Ryrie study Bible as well.

• Members

To me a cult is any church that does not teach its member how to be saved. Those that teach works based salvation, salvation by baptizing, salvation by church membership, are rejecting Christ, & there's many of them all across this nation that are highly thought of & supported by many who call them self Christian.

As for me I've never attended a Bible school, college, yet I am very thankful for the many fine teachers & pastors I've had throughout the years that have helped me learn about God & His Word. And I believe they've been in my life by the providence of God, & of course I'm still learning & only a student of the Bible.

• Members

As for me I've never attended a Bible school, college, yet I am very thankful for the many fine teachers & pastors I've had throughout the years that have helped me learn about God & His Word. And I believe they've been in my life by the providence of God, & of course I'm still learning & only a student of the Bible.

Amen!  And I'm glad to have you here, helping me learn about God and His Word.   :godisgood:

Archived