• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Amy Grant is a Hypocrite

boy.rocket1

• Members

My dad has told of a preacher saying from the pulpit that if they knew him like he knew himself, they would want nothing to do with him. He then said for them not to walk out, but to consider that if he knew them like they each knew themself, he would want nothing to do with them. I believe this to be very true. And those who get in the spotlight are going to be seen more clearly as to what the rest of us may be able to hide. Yes I see that she was divorced, not something that can be hid. I am not a fan of hers, but feel it unfair to say she is not saved!! What would you think of a man professing to be very religious, and looked up to having an affair???? Adultry!!! What if he found out that the woman he had the affair was pregnant, so he has the husband killed so he can hide the affair and marry her. Adultry, Murder!!! His name was King David. We need to be careful how we decide who is saved and who is lost!!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Amy Grant is a complete hypocrite. She says that she's for God and sings songs about him. Then she goes and gets divorced and remarried and has shown no repentence or sorrow for this sin.

Hey, speaking of current events, I hear Jim and Tammy Bakker are in some kind of trouble over at PTL.

• Members
This don't make me not wanting to listen to her songs that are Christian and Christmas music. What does her personal life have to do with it if someone is inspired by the songs? Yes we need to be example but not everyone in show biz is. I like her songs but not her.

Before I was saved, I once heard/saw one of the popular secular bands (it was either Axl Rose or Aerosmith) singing Amazing Grace unplugged on MTV. What if I used the same logic as above that their personal life has nothing to do with the music? Do you think it would it be ok to listen to or buy a recording of this type of band singing hymns if they put one out? (Ick. )

• Members

Before I was saved, I once heard/saw one of the popular secular bands (it was either Axl Rose or Aerosmith) singing Amazing Grace unplugged on MTV. What if I used the same logic as above that their personal life has nothing to do with the music? Do you think it would it be ok to listen to or buy a recording of this type of band singing hymns if they put one out? (Ick. )

That might depend upon how the song was played. :Green Myself, neither of those bands performing hymns would appeal to me. We do however have a couple CDs here by country singers singing hymns and both have blessed my wife and I greatly. That doesn't mean we would want to listen to their secular music or that we would endorse their lifestyles or their Christianity, but the hymns are sung well with appropriate accompaniment and have been a blessing.

On a similar note, while scanning the radio in our car, I've come across Christian groups singing hymns that sounded horrible! Including Amazing Grace...which they changed some of the words to (I recall they left out the part about being a wretch). Such a beautiful and inspiration song when sang properly and when backed by appropriate music but not as this Christian group put it forth. :sad

Thanks sean. I have never listened to Amy Grant's music before. Judging by the looks of that website...and her personal testimony, though...I think I will pass. :smile

• Members

[quote="John81"]On a similar note, while scanning the radio in our car, I've come across Christian groups singing hymns that sounded horrible! Including Amazing Grace...which they changed some of the words to (I recall they left out the part about being a wretch). Such a beautiful and inspiration song when sang properly and when backed by appropriate music but not as this Christian group put it forth. :sad[/quote]

:ot: John, you mentioned Amazing Grace, and I was just wondering what you thought about Chris Tomlin's version (My Chains Are Gone). Personally, I kind of liked it.

:back: While I know we shouldn't judge a person when he/she falls, but the problem is you see a lot of these CCM artists openly living in sin and they don't seem to be bothered by it at all (I have no idea what their heart is like, but their words make it seem as though they don't care). In those cases it's hard not to question their salvation.

I think in some cases, that sort of "judging" isn't all that bad, because when we see a person (who we can contact, of course) who seems to be unsaved, we have to witness to them. While if we never "judge" anyone in that way, I don't think we would witness to them either. Of course, talking about them on a message board is quite a different story, though it's useful to warn those who might be influenced by them.

It's 1:40AM here, so sorry if anything I posted doesn't make sense. :Green

• Members

:ot: John, you mentioned Amazing Grace, and I was just wondering what you thought about Chris Tomlin's version (My Chains Are Gone). Personally, I kind of liked it.

:back: While I know we shouldn't judge a person when he/she falls, but the problem is you see a lot of these CCM artists openly living in sin and they don't seem to be bothered by it at all (I have no idea what their heart is like, but their words make it seem as though they don't care). In those cases it's hard not to question their salvation.

I think in some cases, that sort of "judging" isn't all that bad, because when we see a person (who we can contact, of course) who seems to be unsaved, we have to witness to them. While if we never "judge" anyone in that way, I don't think we would witness to them either. Of course, talking about them on a message board is quite a different story, though it's useful to warn those who might be influenced by them.

It's 1:40AM here, so sorry if anything I posted doesn't make sense. :Green

Sorry, I don't know who Chris Tomlin is.

I agree that a great many CCM artists look, act and talk very worldly. We are to judge one another by the fruits we see just as we are to examine ourselves likewise. If we see someone who claims to be a brother in Christ yet their fruit appears worldly, then we are right to talk with them in an attempt to find out the state of their soul.

For many CCM artists, as well as many professing Christians in general, there seems to be the attitude of, "I'm a Christian but I think this or that and I don't think the Bible means this or that, and ever present I don't see anything wrong with...

For the most part, when confronted with Scripture on a topic, whether it be about speech, homosexuality, women pastors, mannerisms, dress style, dating, etc., it's all about what they think rather than what the Bible actually says.

Over and over you hear, "God made me this way so it must be okay", which is used to justify a plethora of sins. Then you hear how part of the Bible doesn't apply to us, just to the bigoted, culturally prejudiced people back then. Or the ever popular, "God called me this", even if it's something the Bible clearly says is wrong and therefore God would never call them to that.

So yes, we should be concerned about the condition of anyones soul who professes to be a Christian yet their lives don't seem to bear this out. Professing Christians who are not actually biblically born again are just as lost as those who are outright not biblical Christians and are in need of salvation.