• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Near Confrontation During House To House

• Moderators

I may be considered a heretic when I say this but I believe that door-to-door "soul-winning" is a very ineffective method of witnessing (and I might add that it is not Biblical). You heard me right: I believe that there is no Biblical basis for door-to-door "soul-winning." The only verse that even comes close to being a proof-text for it is Acts 20:20 - "And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house," The only problem is that this verse applies to home Bible studies, not to witnessing.

Here are the verses that we should be using: Luke 24:13-15 - "And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.  And they talked together of all these things which had happened.  And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them." As we travel in this life we are to talk publicly of the things of God to one another and to those that cross our paths. This is the most effective way of witnessing.

Sincerely,

Bro Steve Smith

brosmith@sonlightchristianradio.com

www.sonlightchristianradio.com

Fair enough. I don't always think it's particularly effective myself - but then it must get some results or the cults wouldn't do it! And as we have the Holy Spirit providing the increase, shouldn't we expect more than the simply human-powered results they see?

When you say that it is unBiblical, though, that makes it sound like it's wrong to do. I assume that's not what you meant?  There's nothing in the Bible about printing Bibles or passing out tracts or evangelistic web pages either, but such tactics aren't wrong to try. We are told to 'go into all the world and preach the gospel'... I suppose front doors could be part of that world too. :wink

• Members

Fair enough. I don't always think it's particularly effective myself - but then it must get some results or the cults wouldn't do it! And as we have the Holy Spirit providing the increase, shouldn't we expect more than the simply human-powered results they see?

A little food for thought when it comes to the effectiveness of door-to-door "soul-winning":

Any salesman worth his salt can get results. Spiritual results, however, are accomplished through spiritual methods. Back in the summers of 1981 and 1982 I was trained on how to get "results" at the door. The method is akin to high pressure sales. However, the end does not justify the means.

Sincerely,

Bro Steve Smith

• Members

Yikes!

About the worst I ever had was when a man angrily told me to leave and not come back. Then there was the woman I handed a tract to, who tore it up and dropped it on the ground. But then a friend of mine, I used to go on visitation with, had a man answer a screen door stark naked! :bigshock:

My daughter once had a man answer the door who was naked, but she had a male church member with her who dealt with the situation.

• Members

I have had people answer naked.

Most of the time over here you end up putting it in the letterbox because there's no one home.
We had an american preacher visit and he was amazed at the number of houses we went to - because if someone did answer they said no and closed the door.
He said in his area that people were at least polite and chatted even if they weren't interested.

Here they don't mind being rude. :(

Edited by DaveW

• Members

Bro. Smith,

I understand completely what you are saying about the high-pressure sales tactics used in so many "soul-winning" programs. 

However, if done properly, the idea is to get to the point where you can have an impromptu "home Bible study" where you can carefully and methodically explain the need for salvation and the basis of salvation thoroughly.

The other thing door-to-door does for a Christian is it helps them overcome their natural fear of man, and become more bold in their witness throughout their normal life.  The hope for me as a pastor is that the exercise of going door-to-door will help them learn how to deal with a person on their own, and give them more encouragement and boldness to witness for Christ throughout their daily lives.  It is a training ground, more or less, particularly for the young Christian. 

So for me, our door-to-door program fulfills multiple purposes:

1.  We leave a Gospel tract and church flyer on every door - so the seed of the word of God is being sown.  Before anyone can be saved, they must have the seed of the word of God sown in their hearts.  So even if they choose not to speak with us, or they are not at home, at least they have an opportunity to read the Scriptures and be exposed to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

2.  It is a training ground, as described above

3.  My instructions to our people is to not try to get a "1-2-3 pray after me" decision.  I would rather a lost sinner stew in his sins, realize the depths of his depravity, and then cry out to God for salvation on his own than get a false profession of faith.  But on occasion, we have seen some legitimate conversions through our door-to-door program, and even some new church members who were looking for such a church as ours.

So there is more "fruit" out there to be had than just souls being saved....and that is what I look at.

Having said all that, I fully agree with you that it is every Christian's job to witness on a regular basis in their own daily lives.  They should not limit their witnessing to ONLY the weekly door-to-door program.

In Christ,

• Members

My approach is typically to speak with people I see out and about, rather than to go to their door and bother them (which is almost the universal response anymore; an annoyed look, a quick dismissal, followed by a closed door). On the other hand, most of these same folks, if I see them outside (not while they are intently busy at something), whether at their home, the park, sidewalk or elsewhere, are much more friendly and open to conversation.

• Moderators

I have had people answer naked.

Most of the time over here you end up putting it in the letterbox because there's no one home.
We had an american preacher visit and he was amazed at the number of houses we went to - because if someone did answer they said no and closed the door.
He said in his area that people were at least polite and chatted even if they weren't interested.

Here they don't mind being rude. :(

Sounds like up here.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Door to door witnessing is a hard job but I have found it to very effective because most people fill more comfortable taking to you when they are at home. there will be the angry ones and all we can do is pray for them.I've been cussed out spit at and mocked.but I counted it as a joy.we are to out into the world and share the Gospel and the neighborhood is part of the world. BroSmith you're wrong about door to door witnessing it can be very effective. my first time out witnessing door to door I met a young lady that was dying with cancer that was lost ' but the glory be to God shes in heaven today because God loved her enough to send someone to witness to her.that same day I shared the Gospel with 30 lost people and prayed with some that where backsliding and they ended up coming to our church and getting their hearts right with God again.also through our bus ministry we had 70 teens get saved in one year. now that's biblical.

I also believe in witnessing to people in our travels at our jobs and any other place we have a chance to.I once met a man at the car wash that ask me for fifty cents we talked for awhile and God opened the door for me to share the Gospel with him but he rejected it. I gave him my phone number and told him if he ever wanted to know more about Jesus he could call me two days later he did and I ended up at his house on our knees praying and he got saved.

Our Lord Jesus was a witness that shared his love to those that were lost yet he was mocked was called names and threaten to be stone and in the end because of His love he was nailed to the cross for all that are lost sinners.
If we love the lost as our Lord Jesus did then He will make a way for us to witness His Gospel to the lost no matter where it maybe or how hard it may seem we will count it as a joy to suffer for Him.

• Members

Pastor steve I agree with your program I went through this type of training 20 years ago. thank you for having this program in your church because many churches have forgotten about about the backslider the lost and those that may need a new church to go to.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

First of all I would like to praise God that the man that led me to the Lord while going door-to-door didn't believe it was ineffective and useless!  I have been doing door-to-door witnessing now for over 20 years, the last 12 of which in an extremely difficult area of the Pacific Northwest.  I have been through it all over the years, "naked people answering, cursed, guns pointed, dog's turned on me, you name it" but I will still go because every once in a great while, we find that pearl of great price.  I can think of 5 very dear members/families of our church right now that were a direct result of door-to-door soul winning (please, I know it was the Lord that saved them not us, so calm down).  If there were only ONE member I could name it would have been worth it. 

There are limitations though that I follow: 

1.  I NEVER knock on a door with any kind of sign discouraging visitors.  Even just a "No Soliciting" sign though we are selling nothing.  

2.  I never enter an enclosed space to get at a door.  It is popular around here for people to have enclosed porches with a door to keep wild animals away from trash cans, pet food, shoes by the door, and such but I will not enter but will only leave a tract on the door.  Something you city slickers don't have to deal with but is a real issue in the small logging community in Oregon where I live. 

3.  I never go alone.

4.  I never talk to children when the parents are not home and know I am speaking to their child.  

5.  I will not allow the conversation at the door to stray from salvation.  If the person has a legitimate question, especially a concern that has made him angry with God, then I will do my best to answer the question and then quickly turn it to salvation.  In short, "if I don't strike oil within 20 minutes, I quit boring"

6.  If I can see that it is obviously a bad time because I can see them entertaining guests or sitting at the dinner table with family, I always ask if this is a good time to talk. We had one man visit who said, "I would have cursed them and slammed the door in their face, like I usually do, had they said who they were and why they were there, but they were so polite and courteous in considering my valuable time, I had to come check you guys out".  

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory.

• Members

In my door to door experience [though not my forte, per se, yet, I'm more of an simplisitic person, bypassing doors altogether - computer screen let's me right in the homes, etc :) ] out where I live [well sorta], depending upon the neighbourhood, we get all classes of people, rich and poor [epescially in the apts, trailers, etc], old and young and all manner of religions, wiccan, islamic, buddhic, hindi, atheist and a wide variety of 'christianity'.

In one more middle scale neighbourhood [probably close to $400K to $1M+], what looked to be a 4 year old answered the door, and no one else around.  I crouched down to eye level, once I realized who opened the door, and gave the little person several DVD's and books and materials and basically said share these.  I figured, well, if the parents are gonna let the child answer the door all alone, when either they aren't home at all or not looking, they might at least come across their child attempting to play the DVD's.

The brother I was with, also walked up on two kids [probably teens 15ish] that were in a parked running vehicle, that were in the back seat all buckled up, while the door was wide open and no one else around [like I said, it was more more middle scale neighbourhood and parent probably ran back into the house for something], and practically scared them to death, they both looked at each other quietly and probably thinking he was about to hijack their parents vehicle with them in it [he's awesome Samoan, love my brother].  He said, "Hi Guys!" and handed them some DVD's and materials and they looked so relieved after he left.  I laughed so hard.

Most encounters were short, brief, thank you or no thank you, though a few turn into a conversation about who we are and what we're doing out and about and what the materials are all about.

On those particular outings, we tried to make sure everyone we visited got several DVD's, book, magazines, and other goodies, bookmarks, Bible study guides, sign up cards, etc.  if they didn't desire one thing, we tried to make sure they at least went back with something, even if it was just a webcard listing the various sites they could visit.  Though there are some that even turned that down.

That's when we would get them through mass mailing.  :)  Got the choice for everyone.  TV, Radio, Internet, Paper, Print, Billboard, Mailing, Bumpersticker, Decal, clothing, etc - global world-wide mission.

We generally went in teams [2-3's], about 12-14 of us together, and worked various areas and then all came back and talked about our God given encounters and providences and/or any Bible studies picked up.

Edited by banner over me was love

• Members

I had little booklet written by John Rice about witnessing, he wrote about a time when he had approached a lady and begin to to speak with her about salvation,but the lady was rude and was asking him questions about bible stories she had heard about sex and murder and such.so he kindly ask her if she would do him one favor and let him show her some of what the bible had to say about salvation and if she would allow him this favor then he would answer all her questions she had about the bible. and she agreed to let him show her.he begin to read and show her scripture and her need of salvation and the holly spirit brought conviction upon her heart and it wasn't long before they were on their knees praying. afterwards he asked her if she would like for him to answer her questions for her and she replied to him that there was need for questions anymore that she now knew the truth. this one short story help to build my confidence when witnessing. thought I would share it.                                                                                                                             Jesus said unto him " I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me "  John 14:6    

• 6 months later...
  • Administrators

I used the word "unbiblical" because the majority of independent fundamental Baptist preachers have this idea that you are sinning if you don't go out knocking on doors. I wouldn't necessarily say that door-to-door "soul winning" is wrong but I do believe that it is a bad substitute for how we are supposed to be witnessing. Another bad substitute is the bus ministry. These things become an end unto themselves. A Christian may have a bad testimony at work or never witness to his neighbours or co-workers. But if he goes out door knocking or works on a bus route then he gets the false assurance that he is being a good witness for Christ. Living a consistent Christian life before the world and then giving a verbal witness as opportunities arise is not only the best way of soul-winning but it is the Biblical way.

Sincerely,

Bro Steve Smith

I'm new here and have been reading through quite a bit of this message board. It has been interesting reading. I just found this post by brosmith. I am in total agreement with it as he has posted it. In the church I was saved in we didn't go door knocking. One reason was that we were in a very small out of the way community, on a dead end road in Alaska. You can wear out your welcome very quickly in small communities like this.

Now that I live in the northwest I have been exposed to this that brosmith said. "Baptist preachers have this idea that you are sinning if you don't go out knocking on doors." This is totally foreign to me. My philosopy is and always has been, as brosmith said in another place, "Living a consistent Christian life before the world and then giving a verbal witness as opportunities arise is not only the best way of soul-winning but it is the Biblical way."

I am really disheartened by the salesmanship part of what I see spoken of as "soul winning" in a door to door environment, or even in a church environment when I see someone "leading someone to Christ." Salesmanship and high pressure tactics have no place in The Lord's work, it totally leaves out the work of The Holy Spirit.

I'm going to copy and paste something I got from a friend in email the other day. This speaks directly to this issue and reflects my views even before I read it. This was written by David Wells, who I do not know.

Soulwinning, Or Salesmanship?"
An Article by David Wells

"Do you believe you have ever done anything wrong, and that you are a sinner?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to take away those sins?"

"Yes."

"Then will you bow your head with me, repeat a short prayer, and ask Jesus to come into your heart?"

"Yes."

(This is done.)

"Now, you are saved!"

"I am?"

"Yes, the Bible says you are saved. Don’t you believe the Bible?"

"Well, of course I do."

"Then you are saved, right?"

"Right."

At first look, the method and message of the above illustration might seem beyond criticism. As a vast throng of "personal soul winners" canvasses our land from door to door using the above method, it becomes very difficult to downgrade their zeal and enthusiasm. To their credit, it must be stated that they are certainly on the jOB. The enthusiasm, earnestness, and persuasiveness which this well-trained group of so-called "fundamentalists" exhibits is certainly admirable, to say the least.

However, is this zealousness and persuasiveness mis-directed? Is the method which is being used a scriptural method? Are the folks who are following the step by step instructions of the "soul winner" being genuinely saved?

This is a very delicate yet crucial prOBlem today in the world of Biblical Christianity as we know it. Several thought provoking questions and intricate situations are being brought to the attention of God's people everywhere. Certainly, a few of these conversions are genuine. It is the opinion of this writer, however, that the majority of these "decisions" for Christ do not pan out and are not genuine.

Where are all the converts? Where is all the fruit? As the hundreds and thousands of souls which are being saved are counted and recorded, where are they all going? Why is our land not in the midst of a great spiritual awakening and revival, rather than being in a downhill slide into sin and depravity? Could it be that instead of being born again, people are being stillborn as a result of slick salesmanship techniques? A closer study of the method of "easy-believism" certainly reveals to any rational believer that today's gospel has been watered down and grossly over-simplified.

What Is Missing? What Is Incorrect?

First of all, the Easy-believism type of evangelism usually does not emphasize genuine repentance toward God. No one can be saved without a recognition of sin toward God, and a repentance of turning away from that sin. It is quite OBvious that when someone is asked if they have ever done anything wrong, they are going to say, "Yes". However, to agree lightheartedly that you have erred, and to experience the convicting influence and power of the Holy Spirit are two completely different things! Until a person has experienced the Spirit relayed consciousness that he is a totally depraved sinner, he can never exercise a saving faith in Christ. It is absolute folly to tell an unconvicted sinner to merely believe in Jesus and expect him to be saved. Before a person can be saved, he has to realize that he is lost.

This conviction comes from the Holy Spirit. To sweeten the gospel for the sake of numbers by de-emphasizing the sinfulness of man is unscriptural and ungodly! For man to realize that he is exceedingly sinful, he must first be shown the exceeding sinfulness of sin. That conviction does not come, however, through a planned program of quick responses by way of rehearsed questions.

Conviction of sin comes when God's people preach and teach the power of repentance through the Holy Spirit. As the Holy Spirit convicts of sin, people are saved. My father used to tell me: "Son, a sinner can feel it in his head, and not believe it in his heart." His words are true yet today. A mental assent of sin is far different than a heart belief of conviction and sorrow toward that sin.

A second emphasis which is missing in the easy-believism, door-to-door method of soul winning is an acknowledgment of the Lordship of Christ. To coax someone into lightheartedly admitting that Jesus is Saviour is missing the target entirely. Jesus is first and foremost Lord, and then Saviour! As one falls at the feet of Christ, experiencing the conviction of the Holy Spirit and realizing the all encompassing Lordship of Christ, he is then in a position to accept Christ as Saviour. Easy believism leaves this out entirely. The sovereign Lordship of Christ is omitted and skipped completely, while the message of "only believe" is placed easily within one's grasp. Consequently, shallow and frivolous decisions are made, and the very crux of the gospel is left unsaid.

Thirdly, while the joy and wonderfulness of salvation is over emphasized, the easy-believism method totally ignores the terms of true discipleship. When one gets saved, life does not suddenly become one big joy ride into Heaven. The cost must be counted! The cross as well as the crown must be preached and taught. Genuine salvation does not produce a constant bed of roses. People should not be conned into thinking that it does, just in order to get them to make some sort of decision. Let it be said that a life of service for Christ will result in joy, peace, contentment, hope and purpose. Along with this, however, comes sacrifice, tears, anguish, persecution, and oftentimes death. Certainly, the genuine soul winner should make the potential convert aware of this fact. Not as a condition for salvation, but rather as a result of following Christ.

What is the result of all of this? People all across our land are believing, but they do not know what they are believing! The seed has not been sown properly, the doctrinal watering has not taken place, and God has not given the increase. Shallow decisions to "repeat the sinner's prayer" are being substituted for heart felt belief in the regenerating power of God. Listen: a slick smile, a hearty handshake, a manufactured speech, and a quick command for someone to bow their head and ask Jesus to come into their heart is not New Testament evangelism! People in the New Testament were never pressured into salvation. I challenge anyone to show me where they were! In all instances, the heart of the individual was prepared by the Holy Spirit through the teaching of God's Word, and a soul winner was then led to that person.

Of course, today's high powered soul winner hides behind the feeble excuse that if only one conversion in twenty is genuine, then we should rejoice in the fact that the one genuine convert is saved and on his way to Heaven. Are people actually that naive? If this reasoning is logical, then is it not logical to also say, "Okay, let's have twenty people line up against a wall. We'll take a gun and shoot at all twenty of them. However, if only one escapes with his life, we will rejoice in the fact that the one is alive, even though the other nineteen people may be dead!"

To take the unscripturally loaded gun of easy-believism and aim it at twenty people with the hope that maybe one will actually get saved is basically the same type of logic. What about the other nineteen? They have been deceived, are oftentimes bitter, have been given a false hope, and are usually on their way to hell by means of a false profession. They have been shot and killed by the gun of easy-believism.

It is time for many of us to re-evaluate our methods of soul winning. Time needs to be set aside to patiently teach people the gospel. The necessity for true repentance and faith in Christ needs to be the very foundation of our message. We then need to wait on and pray for the convicting power of the Holy Spirit. We then need to prayerfully and honestly lead them to the Lord. After a person gets saved, strong Baptist doctrine from God's Word needs to be taught and rooted into the life of the new child of God. Certainly, scriptural baptism needs to be taught and administered, and the new convert should be brought up as A new babe in Christ, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Of course, by doing it this way, we may not have as many "decisions" for the Lord. It is my belief, however, that the majority of those who do believe will be genuine, and that New Testament evangelism will be more accurately followed and practiced.

I am sorry for the length of this post. The copy and paste was lengthy. Thank you for this opportunity to participate.

May God bless you as you serve Him.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Alaska