• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How To Overcome An Addiction To Mountain Dew

JerryNumbers

• Members

No, we would find our self doing as the early church did.

Ac 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Ac 2:42 ¶ And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Ac 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Ac 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Ac 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Ac 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Ac 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Yet few there be that wants to do that, they fear they just find it boring.

I have said several times we (IFBs, Christians in general) should be the ones gathering together daily, helping share one another's burdens, weeping and rejoicing with one another, discipling and being discipled, forming close bonds of friendship and fellowship among our brothers/sisters in Christ.

Unfortunately, and very sadly, that doesn't happen. It can often be hard to get more than a dedicated core to even be faithful to regular church attendance, let alone anything beyond that.

Until or unless we actually step forward and provide what the body of Christ should be providing one another, we shouldn't be condemning those who have to find help elsewhere.

If a Christian is in immediate need of medical attention and only a Catholic hospital is to be found, or a Mormon clinic, is it sin to seek help there?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ephesians 4:22 (KJV)
That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Colossians 3:9 (KJV)
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

How is telling people that you are an alcoholic putting off the old man? It isn't. It is instead, clinging to the old man.

If that is true Paul was clinging to the old man when he declared himself to be the chief of sinners.

• Members

I think I'm going to go get me a Mountain Dew. And I don't even like the stuff!

I think I might do that, too, HC.  I am on my way out the door soon, to run some errands.  I was hankering for a McDonald's Caramel Frappe. I might stop at the gas station and get myself a Mountain Dew, instead.  I can't even remember the last time I had one.  :)

• Members

I think I'm going to go get me a Mountain Dew. And I don't even like the stuff!

I stopped drinking Mountain Dew a long time ago when it suddenly started adding pounds to me. Somehow my sister can drink the stuff from the time she gets up until she goes to bed and it doesn't put any weight on her.

It took me several years but I finally got to where I can drink Diet Mountain Dew like my wife does.

My preference right now is diet A&W root beer.

• Administrators

I stopped drinking Mountain Dew a long time ago when it suddenly started adding pounds to me. Somehow my sister can drink the stuff from the time she gets up until she goes to bed and it doesn't put any weight on her.

It took me several years but I finally got to where I can drink Diet Mountain Dew like my wife does.

My preference right now is diet A&W root beer.

If I drink soda, I like Sprite or orange.  I've never liked the flavor of Mountain Dew even when I drank caffeinated soda. My preference is Sunkist diet orange.  Sadly, the sweetener in them is no better for us than sugar.  While these kinds of drinks aren't addictive, they can be habit-forming.

• Members

If I drink soda, I like Sprite or orange.  I've never liked the flavor of Mountain Dew even when I drank caffeinated soda. My preference is Sunkist diet orange.  Sadly, the sweetener in them is no better for us than sugar.  While these kinds of drinks aren't addictive, they can be habit-forming.

Yes, they certainly can be habit forming! Most often we drink water, love sun tea in the summer. Soda is usually only bought when it's on sale or for special occasions and holidays. We bought some diet orange on sale the other day. We all love that too. Although I did splurge and get me some diet A&W root beer for the holiday. :coffee:

• Administrators

Yes, they certainly can be habit forming! Most often we drink water, love sun tea in the summer. Soda is usually only bought when it's on sale or for special occasions and holidays. We bought some diet orange on sale the other day. We all love that too. Although I did splurge and get me some diet A&W root beer for the holiday. :coffee:

LOL - we also bought some orange and some root beer the other day.  Our son and DIL are staying with us during the week for a while as he gets settled in a new job, so this is a little treat for all of us.

We love iced tea, too.  :coffee2:

• Members

Everyone:

There is no way one can "Christianize" a program which originated from pagan/occult roots.  If you doubt that AA and all its 12 Step Recovery religion subsidiaries started from the pagan/occult practices of Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith, begin by checking out some of the literature that is published by AA itself and compare what they say with what God says in His Word. 

Getting "help" (for a "sin" now labeled a "disease" by the 12 Step Recovery religions) from any "program" that is clearly the antithesis of God's Word, is "yoking yourself with unbelievers" (2 Cor. 6:14-18).   That's not the same as going shopping at Walmart.  We are IN the world, not OF it.  Biblical separation does not mean a Christian should avoid sinners, but instead, must avoid being a partaker in the sinner's "works." (Ephesians 4:17-29; 5:11; 1 Peter 4:1-4; 1 John 2:15-17)

Alcoholic is a euphemism for drunkard.  Alcoholism is a SIN not a "disease".  Drinking alcohol is a behavior that has "physical" consequences and does cause "physical" diseases.  AA and its other 12 Step Recovery religion subsidiaries have the drunkard in "bondage" to having a "disease" from which they will not "recover".  Those in AA always introduce themselves as "alcoholics".  They are all known as "recovering" alcoholics.  Deliverance from drunkenness and "addiction" is found only in Jesus Christ, not in a "program"

True, yet we have some on here defending them, & defending in trusting in man, & made made programs, encouraging others not to put 100% of their faith, trust, in God.

That is they are encouraging people to trust in man & made made programs, along with God, & that is not trusting in God. yet they deny it while doing so!

Psalm 33:12 ¶ Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance.

Psalm 84:12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.

Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Psalm 118:8,9
8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

Psalm 144:15 Happy is that people, that is in such a case: yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.

Isaiah 31:3 Now the Egyptians are men, and not God; and their horses flesh, and not spirit. When the LORD shall stretch out his hand, both he that helpeth shall fall, and he that is holpen shall fall down, and they all shall fail together.

Jeremiah 17:5,6,7
5 ¶ Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. 6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. 7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

Deuteronomy 33:29 Happy art thou, O Israel: who is like unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places.

1 Peter 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

Happy is the one who trust in God alone, that person has the power of God on their side.

Psalm 146:5 ¶ Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

• Members

When a person sees another going into a Walmart, that person doesn't automatically assume the person is going for alcohol or cigarettes.  Same with Gas Stations.  The only reason won would have cause to think a person is going in for alcohol or tobacco is if that one drinks or smokes and the other know it.

With AA and Al-Anon, it is quite different.  The people are required to state they have a dependence on alcohol or a family member does.  If Walmart or a Gas Station makes it a rule that one must admit he has a dependency on alcohol or tobacco before getting groceries or gas, you might have a valid argument.

Right now, you don't.

The Word of God tells us that if we are saved we are in the world, but not of the world.  AA and Al-Anon are of the world and expect their members to identify themselves as dependent upon AA and Al-Anon.    "Hi, my name is ________.  I am an alcoholic.

They have so many of these dependencies groups popping up all over.  They don't point to God.  You can't preach Christ in those groups.  Years ago, I was invited to speak at an AA held at a Methodist Church less than a mile from my house.  When I got there that night, I was met at the door with instructions on things I could not mention.  I could not tell the group that Salvation through faith alone in Christ alone was what they all needed.  I was to substitute any mention of God or Jesus Christ with Higher Power.  I was to base my message on the 12 Steps Program, but to leave the Gospel Truth out altogether.

Needless to say, I didn't even walk through the doors.  I told them I could not speak that night and walked back to my house.  They wanted a message of deliverance from alcohol through good works and false gods.  I wouldn't betray my God to preach theirs.

What I posted in bold letter & underlined, I agree with. Yet I would like to mention this.

Several years back in the late 90's another pastor & i would meet at a coffee shop once or twice a week in the evening time & just visits, talking about the Bible & our concerns.

Now let me say this before I go any further, we live in a dry country & all connecting counties are also dry.

Bro. Roger told me the next time you go to or from Texarkana stop at the convenience store right across the county line that has a beer joint & sells whisky, get some of their fish, its very best I've ever had.

I replied, "I know about the place, but I have never stopped there & never will, I just don't care about being seen stopped there & going in & out of that place."

Them I asked him, "What do you think the member of the church you pastor would think about that?"

He replied, "Oh, they want mind just as long as I'm not buying nothing to drink,"

& nothing else was mentioned about it.

The next week when we met the 1st thing he said was, "Bro. Jerry, what you said last week was true."

At 1st I did not know what he was referring to & asked him, "Bro. Roger, what are you referring to?"

"Stopping at that liquor place & buying fish to eat, they asked me to never stop there again. I thank you for what you said about it, I never thought one thing about it & now that I know how all our church members feels about it I will never stop there again."

A few years later I had a red short wheel base Chevy pickup that I drove for several years & many people identified me with that pickup. A week or so after I sold it a person went to three of our church members during one week & told them I was stopping at that same place buying liquor. That he had seen my truck parked there with me walking out with liquor more than once.

Each one of them told him that he needs to take a closer look & stop spreading gossip about their pastor because I no longer own that pickup & had sold it three weeks ago.

One thing for sure when one is a Christian, a preacher, a pastor they surely need to as best they can avoid all appearances of evil. For even Christians will spread false gossip about them as did this one Christian that made a special effort going out of his way to tell our church member the gossip about me & the red truck I once owned.

Yet I believe some may laugh at me & think that I'm silly for telling that pastor he ought to avoid all appearances of evil & stop stopping at that place & ask his church members there thought on the matter.

Of course I understand that we who live in & around dry counties will make it somewhat different for us than those who live in places that most every business may sell liquid devil. Yet in such an area I would seek out as many places as i could find & avoid the liquor selling stores as possible.

And for all who read the above please notices I said, "avoid them as much as possible."

• Members

All I can say is that all of you heretics who drink Root Beer need to get your lives right...that stuff is NASTY!!!

I can't say this for sure, but I think the mark of the beast might be "A&W".   :nuts:

I have a can of the diet version beside me right now!

My wife doesn't care for root beer at all. Which actually works out nicely for me since I know if I buy some she won't be drinking it up! :icon_smile:

Archived