• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How To Overcome An Addiction To Mountain Dew

JerryNumbers

• Members

When a person sees another going into a Walmart, that person doesn't automatically assume the person is going for alcohol or cigarettes.  Same with Gas Stations.  The only reason won would have cause to think a person is going in for alcohol or tobacco is if that one drinks or smokes and the other know it.

With AA and Al-Anon, it is quite different.  The people are required to state they have a dependence on alcohol or a family member does.  If Walmart or a Gas Station makes it a rule that one must admit he has a dependency on alcohol or tobacco before getting groceries or gas, you might have a valid argument.

Right now, you don't.

The Word of God tells us that if we are saved we are in the world, but not of the world.  AA and Al-Anon are of the world and expect their members to identify themselves as dependent upon AA and Al-Anon.    "Hi, my name is ________.  I am an alcoholic.

They have so many of these dependencies groups popping up all over.  They don't point to God.  You can't preach Christ in those groups.  Years ago, I was invited to speak at an AA held at a Methodist Church less than a mile from my house.  When I got there that night, I was met at the door with instructions on things I could not mention.  I could not tell the group that Salvation through faith alone in Christ alone was what they all needed.  I was to substitute any mention of God or Jesus Christ with Higher Power.  I was to base my message on the 12 Steps Program, but to leave the Gospel Truth out altogether.

Needless to say, I didn't even walk through the doors.  I told them I could not speak that night and walked back to my house.  They wanted a message of deliverance from alcohol through good works and false gods.  I wouldn't betray my God to preach theirs.

I am sorry that you had that experience in a 12 Step Program, SFIC.  I have never had that experience in my area.  As I stated, there are many believer's meetings all over the Cleveland area.  Some meetings are held in Baptist churches.  In fact, my woman's meeting is held in the afternoon in a Baptist church.  I have never been told to not talk about Jesus Christ.  Ever!  No one that I know has never been told that, either.  The 12 Step Program is different around the country.  I have been told that by people who travel and go to meetings in other states in the USA.  I was told about Jesus Christ being the only "Higher Power" that mattered as He is God, in an Al-Anon meeting years ago.  It is too bad you had to experience what you did. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, if you think a person should turn down help that in no way has ever harmed any Christians testimony that I've ever known or encountered, you are free to think so.

Tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of Christians have found help and they now liver sober for Christ.

When one says "I'm an alcoholic", what they are doing is acknowledging that alcohol is a very real temptation for them and they understand that if they give in to the temptation to have just a sip or just a drink, they will be that alcoholic. In the flesh we are all sinners as long as we are on this earth, whether our toughest to deal with sins have to do with alcohol, lying, lust, gossip or whatever the case may be.

In any event, if you feel so strongly about this matter you really should work to provide a Christian alternative that will be there to help Christians needing a helping hand in this area. In the meantime, you shouldn't think ill of those who receive help elsewhere.

In my area, people state they are a "Recovered Alcoholic."  Big difference...

• Members

Well, if you think a person should turn down help that in no way has ever harmed any Christians testimony that I've ever known or encountered, you are free to think so.

Tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of Christians have found help and they now liver sober for Christ.

When one says "I'm an alcoholic", what they are doing is acknowledging that alcohol is a very real temptation for them and they understand that if they give in to the temptation to have just a sip or just a drink, they will be that alcoholic. In the flesh we are all sinners as long as we are on this earth, whether our toughest to deal with sins have to do with alcohol, lying, lust, gossip or whatever the case may be.

In any event, if you feel so strongly about this matter you really should work to provide a Christian alternative that will be there to help Christians needing a helping hand in this area. In the meantime, you shouldn't think ill of those who receive help elsewhere.

NO, what they are saying is "I am a drunkard.  They are identifying themselves as to being something that they refuse to give over to God.

al·co·hol·ic
ˌalkəˈhôlik,-ˈhäl-/
adjective
adjective: alcoholic
  1. 1.
    containing or relating to alcoholic liquor.
    "beer is the favorite alcoholic drink"
    synonyms: intoxicating, inebriating, containing alcohol, fermented; More
    formalspirituous
    "alcoholic drinks"
    • caused by the excessive consumption of alcohol.
      "alcoholic liver disease"
    • suffering from alcoholism.
      "his alcoholic daughter was the cause of his anxiety"
noun
noun: alcoholic; plural noun: alcoholics
a person suffering from alcoholism.
synonyms: dipsomaniac, drunk, drunkard, heavy/hard/serious drinker, problem drinker, binge drinker, alcohol abuser, person with a drinking problem;

My Bible tells me when one comes to Christ, he is a new creature.  old things are passed away, behold all things are become new.  You can't produce one Scripture where Jesus heals someone only partially and leaves them in that state.  God doesn't save a drunk and leave him a drunk.  God doesn't save a drug addict and leave him a drug addict.

• Members

NO, what they are saying is "I am a drunkard.  They are identifying themselves as to being something that they refuse to give over to God.

al·co·hol·ic
ˌalkəˈhôlik,-ˈhäl-/
adjective
adjective: alcoholic
  1. 1.
    containing or relating to alcoholic liquor.
    "beer is the favorite alcoholic drink"
    synonyms: intoxicating, inebriating, containing alcohol, fermented; More
    formalspirituous
    "alcoholic drinks"
    • caused by the excessive consumption of alcohol.
      "alcoholic liver disease"
    • suffering from alcoholism.
      "his alcoholic daughter was the cause of his anxiety"
noun
noun: alcoholic; plural noun: alcoholics
a person suffering from alcoholism.
synonyms: dipsomaniac, drunk, drunkard, heavy/hard/serious drinker, problem drinker, binge drinker, alcohol abuser, person with a drinking problem;

My Bible tells me when one comes to Christ, he is a new creature.  old things are passed away, behold all things are become new.  You can't produce one Scripture where Jesus heals someone only partially and leaves them in that state.  God doesn't save a drunk and leave him a drunk.  God doesn't save a drug addict and leave him a drug addict.

By what you are saying here we should all be fully healthy, healed of all things, and walking in perfect holiness. This sounds like a combination of the health and wealth preaching and the holiness teachings.

If the Lord granted you full healing and freedom from sin when you were saved then that's something to truly praise God for. However, for most of us the Lord doesn't work that way in our lives.

• Members

No, we would find our self doing as the early church did.

Ac 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Ac 2:42 ¶ And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Ac 2:43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles.
Ac 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
Ac 2:45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
Ac 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
Ac 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Yet few there be that wants to do that, they fear they just find it boring.

• Members

Ephesians 4:22 (KJV)
That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

Colossians 3:9 (KJV)
Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;

How is telling people that you are an alcoholic putting off the old man? It isn't. It is instead, clinging to the old man.

• Members

Everyone:

There is no way one can "Christianize" a program which originated from pagan/occult roots.  If you doubt that AA and all its 12 Step Recovery religion subsidiaries started from the pagan/occult practices of Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith, begin by checking out some of the literature that is published by AA itself and compare what they say with what God says in His Word. 

Getting "help" (for a "sin" now labeled a "disease" by the 12 Step Recovery religions) from any "program" that is clearly the antithesis of God's Word, is "yoking yourself with unbelievers" (2 Cor. 6:14-18).   That's not the same as going shopping at Walmart.  We are IN the world, not OF it.  Biblical separation does not mean a Christian should avoid sinners, but instead, must avoid being a partaker in the sinner's "works." (Ephesians 4:17-29; 5:11; 1 Peter 4:1-4; 1 John 2:15-17)

Alcoholic is a euphemism for drunkard.  Alcoholism is a SIN not a "disease".  Drinking alcohol is a behavior that has "physical" consequences and does cause "physical" diseases.  AA and its other 12 Step Recovery religion subsidiaries have the drunkard in "bondage" to having a "disease" from which they will not "recover".  Those in AA always introduce themselves as "alcoholics".  They are all known as "recovering" alcoholics.  Deliverance from drunkenness and "addiction" is found only in Jesus Christ, not in a "program"

• Members

By what you are saying here we should all be fully healthy, healed of all things, and walking in perfect holiness. This sounds like a combination of the health and wealth preaching and the holiness teachings.

If the Lord granted you full healing and freedom from sin when you were saved then that's something to truly praise God for. However, for most of us the Lord doesn't work that way in our lives.

John, the preaching on this board, from some, is Oneness Pentacostal.  When I was on Facebook, I ran from those people.  They simple can't stand that they, too, are sinners like we all are until Christ takes us home or we are Raptured.  I never thought I would see this perverted doctrine flow into IFB churches.  Sadly, some people think they are perfect.  :(  What can you do?

• Members

Your reasoning is flawed.  You are attempting to defend sin. 

I am sure God is pleased with that... NOT!!!

You are attempting to create sin where none exists. You claim one is healed from the sin of alcoholism upon salvation, which if such is true, that means we are all healed of all sin upon salvation and we should all be walking in sinless perfection. Yet that's not what Scripture says.

Would you allow you, your wife or others to suffer horribly rather than go to a Catholic hospital if such were the only place help could be found?

Archived