• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How To Overcome An Addiction To Mountain Dew

JerryNumbers

• Members

So you can be honest but I can't? Because if you are going to chide me for posts where I don't agree with you than I can't really, unless I want to be accused yet again. And I'm blunt, too. If you can be, so can we all. SWIM?

I'm sorry - caveat simply means adding a short explanation or apology or something like "I don't mean to offend..." That type thing.

I am so sorry that your son is a casualty of that. Will have to pray more for him.

You are correct that we can't expect perfection. No-one on here does, even if at times it seems like it. Since none if us are perfect, sometimes we all can be harsh, or temperamental, etc. In a case like that, it's goid to remember we are all fallible.

I probably don't know that pastor but do know some like him...

No.  That wouldn't be fair, would it?  I guess we will be "blunt" together... and I won't get so senstitive.  Not to excuse my behevior, but my mom is dying.  It is taking it's toll on me, as she has deteriorated so badly and just wants to go to heaven with Jesus.  I feel guilty b/c she is an hour away and I don't get to spend the time with her that I want to.  Seeing her once a week, is not enough for me or her.  She is getting tremendous care, but she has no quality of life.  I don't want her to suffer any more than she has to, as my dad suffered a horrible death in 1993.  I apologize to you and will be cautious with what I say, from now on.

Yes, please pray for Mark.  OSU has really steered him the wrong way, as well.  And, having a dad who is so demanding and constantly inteferring with any of his down time, is so hard on him.  His dad suffers from Bi-Polar, he is a functioning drunk and has an emotional incest problem.  That doesn't sound as bad as it looks.  It merely means that the parent who has not gotten on with his/her life... relies on a child for everything.  My mom has always said:  "You can't put a grown man's head on a boy's body."  His dad does this, as long as Mark has been a child, and it pains me along with Mark's lack of spirituality.  Ironically, Mark is the reason that I married Joe and started going to church.  He started VBS during the Summer of going into the third grade. We left shortly after he made his First Communion in the RCC.  I also had huge issues with him drinking the Communion wine, of which he didn't drink in second grade.

You are correct.  We are all human and have our flaws.  I have said this before, but it is worth repeating.  "God doesn't make perfect men and women of God, He makes willing men and women of God."  My MIL told me that years ago.  She probably heard it from a pastor or read it in Sword of the Lord or somewhere like that.     

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As I said, to me that is the primary shortcoming of AA specifically - but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. (There are other programs that are more Christ based, and I am sure some AA are far more Christ centered than others).

And the DT's and other physical reactions to addiction are not the addiction. They are part of the control the addiction has over the person. Result not cause.

I have seen people driven away because of intolerance and lack of support, even when I have tried - the undercurrent that flows from others in church, even when you stop the overt, is so damaging.

And I have seen people who simply love their Drug master more than anything and anyone else.
To see a young single mother give up her child to the authorities because she doesn't love that child more than the drug is devastating (and yes that sounds harsh, but it is plain fact, not unloving 'judgement' - and not universally true). Let alone them hearing the Gospel repeatedly and yet refusing to submit to the Lord in the matter. :(

Agreed, DaveW.  A Christ centered program that I do know about is "Reformer's Unanymous."  The nearest RU is located at Cleveland Baptist Church, in my area.  I believe the RU headquarters are near Chicago, maybe in ILL?  I took my brother to RU at Cleveland Baptist, as well.  He had to attend 3 meetings a week with AA so he only went one time.  Also, the Bible scared him, at that time. 

Interesting about the DT's.  I never knew that before... but it does make perfect sense.  Thanks for sharing that tid bit of information.

Are you talking about people driven away in church or in AA?  I am confused b/c when a person is court ordered in AA they cannot get out of the room, unless they are taken out by an ambulance.  I have seen many an alcoholic go balistic b/c they were basically locked in a hot room in 90 weather, waiting to go to the nearest bar or beverage store soon.  ;)  That paper must be signed for the parole officer to check over.

Drug Master?  That's a brand new term for me.  Yes, it is true.  Several of the women in the shelter had their children taken from them by a close relative or worse, Child Services.  A woman who was addicted to crack was making so much progress, then went back out into to the streets again.  She had been smoking crack and she was a prostitute at age 13.  I had to explain to saints in the church that she was actually a 13 year old, even though she was 54, b/c her addiction started at 13.  I learned much of this from studying psychology... abnormal pyschology, being my favorite and second hand experience living with a functioning drunk.  The only time he wasn't mean was when he didn't have booze in his system.  He requires it 24/7.  My husband calls it "Free Floating."  My former sister in law (my ex's older sister) introduced me to Al-Anon.  One of the best books I have read is "The Road Less Traveled."  I have given away many of my books, to people so that they can receive the help my SIL so graciously shared with me.

Sadly, many people DO hear the gospel over and over again.  Yet, they never submit to a loving and merciful God who will take their burdens from them.  One of the homeless girls was sitting in church with me, and went to the altar during the "Altar Call."  Sadly, my pastor told me she left the shelter the next day.  Was she sincere?  Only Jesus knows the answer to that.  The hardest thing for a saved person is the burden we carry in our hearts for the lost.  If they only knew how much we love them and want them saved, but most importantly, the Creator of the Universe loves them to pieces and died, rose again, and is waiting for them to knock on the door.  If only they would respond...

• Members

By the way CL - I think we are largely arguing the same side - I don't mean to seem combative, and I hope it is not coming across that way. ;)

Yes, we are certainly on the same side DaveW.  I am enjoying this conversation and it is reminding me to go to an Al-Anon meeting next week.  It is my "seed planting" ministry.  I try to go at least 2 times a month. 

• Members

Yeah I mean at our church.
We in the past had a ministry to young drug affected - not deliberately by the way - the Lord made it happen and we didn't really even realise until we were doing it........
But some in our church didn't like it and as much as some of us tried, the undercurrent could not be stopped, even though the surface was. People still feel it.... :(

I was pretty firm - following on from my Pastor when he handed it over to me - but it was not firm preaching or blunt speaking that drove them away.
It was those who looked down on them......

"Drug master" - something I just wrote. I am going through Romans right now - serving masters is pretty much at the front of my mind......

• Administrators

Refirmers Unanimous was begun as a Christ-centered ministry to help those with strongholds in their lives. We had the ministry for years at our church and have seen a numberfof people saved and growing. Sadly, we have also seen people turn away because the pull of addiction is so strong.

It is heartbreaking to see a parent choose their addiction - be it drugs, booze, gambling - over their child.

I'm thinking right now of two families who are now saved, members of the church, and growing as a result of that ministry. They are such a blessing to see!

Forr various reasons, we don't use Reformers now. We have a minustry called Help 4 You now. The materials have been written by one of the men in our church and are soundly biblical. I'm thankful we are continuing on reaching out to those who have strongholds in their lives.

• Members

Oh, candlelight! I am so sorry about your Mom. Lisibg my Dad was horrible, and I know itll be worse when my Moms time comes. I'm so glad she knows the Lord. That is much comfort!

You, your Mom, and Mark are in my prayers.

Thanks, HC.  The only thing that is getting me through this ordeal is that she knows Jesus Christ as Personal Saviour.  She was saved October 22, 2006.  I came back from a woman's retreat at Hyle's Anderson College.  Needless to say, I was on a spiritual high.  The theme was awesome!  Before coming over to my mom's house, I stopped at the church bookstore, and got her a new Bible... with a Footprints in the Sand logo on the front of it.  That is my mom's favorite prayer.  I wrote the date inside and also put i was a gift from Our Heavenly Father,.. The Lord Jesus Christ.  She grasped the Bible firmly in her hand and cried and said, Jesus is God... He is my Lord.  I knew at that moment she was saved.  Peace came over the room.  An evangelist and another man from the church came by to do a follow up visit.  The evangelist asked her how she is going to heaven.  She immediately responded my faith in Jesus.  Unfortunately, the other man, started talking to her about how Rosary Beads are evil Catholic relics that are ungodly tools of the devil.  Oh, boy.  The devil does jump in on every occasion he possibly can. doesn't he?  My mom always despised Rosary Beads, and thought all of Mother Angelica's trinkets on TBN were worthless.  However, it was a jab against the religion of her birth.  So, she took offense.  She loved to go to church gatherings and talk with the saints.  When I originally started to witness to her, I talked about hell and damnation as that is what lead me to Christ Jesus.  I spoke about this before, and that wasn't working b/c she grew up in Vatican I and heard of hell and damnation all the time, based on "works" of course.  I changed my approach to love and the Lord saved her.  I have to give credit to my IFB family, too.  They always made her feel welcome in church, and at the gatherings.  She loves my pastor and his wife.  She says they are wonderful Christians.  In fact, she doesn't have an unkind word to say about anyone in my church.  I also noticed an immediate change in her behavior, after her salvation.  I would take her out to grocery shop, to the drug store, to get her hair done, etc.  I would leave gospel tracks on shelves in these places of business.  While years before, she would shy away from me, and act like she didn't know who the Bible Thumper was... she embraced me with a huge smile and a hug.

One of my favorite Books of the Bible is the Book of Jude, b/c of it's simplicity.  The Epistle of Jude... 22 And of (on) some have compassion, making a difference:  23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."

This leads me to believe that some people need to be saved with fear and others need compassion.  I needed fear b/c of the sin of witchcraft I was involved in.  My mom needed compassion, b/c she has lived a very hard life.

I was so sorry to hear about your dad's passing to eternal life on Facebook, HC.  It is so difficult to lose a parent, especially a parent who are the kind parents that we have.  One fine day, your mom will join your dad in glory.  What a day that will be!  Thank you for your prayers for my mom.  I only want her to go peacefully, in comfort... not like my dad's death.  Also, thank you for your prayers for Mark.

Now, I need the strength to get through a Roman Catholic funeral.  My mom didn't care how she was buried or where.  My Roman Catholic sister and Roman Catholic brother have made the decisions.  They consulted my oldest brother and I and we said, whatever mom is comforable with.  Knowing that she will be in heaven with Jesus is the best comfort I have.  :sSig_praiseGod:

• Members

Yeah I mean at our church.
We in the past had a ministry to young drug affected - not deliberately by the way - the Lord made it happen and we didn't really even realise until we were doing it........
But some in our church didn't like it and as much as some of us tried, the undercurrent could not be stopped, even though the surface was. People still feel it.... :(

I was pretty firm - following on from my Pastor when he handed it over to me - but it was not firm preaching or blunt speaking that drove them away.
It was those who looked down on them......

"Drug master" - something I just wrote. I am going through Romans right now - serving masters is pretty much at the front of my mind......

While my husband says "De Nile" is a river in Egypt, it is denial of addiction that inhibits drunks and addicts from getting help.  Sadly, many people, not Christian's specifically, do look down on drunks and addicts.  It is a sad reality.  Many times it is from those who drink, themselves.  Even the program of AA is not really anonymous, although most people feel safe in those rooms.  It becomes home for them.  A club.  During the holidays they run 24/7 meetings in a lot of places.  The hotline is also available 24/7... just like suicide hotlines.  It has been a long time since I have been to an AA meeting, however I should go for another visit... as I use AA as my "seed planting" ministry, as well.  Alcoholics feel more comfortable around people who share the same problem.  Maybe, I can encourage my brother to go back of his own free will.  I have heard many an AA say that they can't relate to people at church, b/c of their problem.  I find that saddening, as people in Bible believing churches aren't immune to alcohol and drugs, either.  No one is, but God is always in the business of miracles.  Many people sit in Bible believing churches, recovered from alcoholism b/c they let Jesus be Lord of their lives.  Doctors, pastors, LISW's. lawyers, teachers and anyone can go to an "Open Meeting."  The meeting must be specified, though.  "Closed Meetings" are for the alcoholic, alone.

I won't give up my hope for souls to come to Christ, through these 12 Step Programs.  They have "believer" meetings, as well, in my area.  I have never been treated as an outsider in AA.  Even if I go alone, there is always a warm welcome and a smile from someone.  I wish Bible believing churches had groups such as these.  My pastor, at my old church, was going to have an RU meeting set up... but they wanted funds in advance for it.  He told me what I know.  The church operates on a Benevolent Fund.  I was hurt when he gave me the news, b/c I know so many people in churches are hooked on alcohol and drugs and need spiritual assistance for this need.

I like the words "Drug Masters."  It is appropriate for this discussion, DaveW.

• Members

Has anyone read the excellent book by Martin and Deidre Bobgan, 12 Steps to Destruction: Codependency Recovery Heresies?

This book includes essential information for Christians about codependency/recovery teachings, Alcoholics Anonymous, Twelve-Step groups, and addiction treatment programs. The book examines such teachings and groups from a biblical, historical, and research perspective.

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/12stepsbk_online.html

This book is available as a free e-book, downloadable from the above link.

• Members

Refirmers Unanimous was begun as a Christ-centered ministry to help those with strongholds in their lives. We had the ministry for years at our church and have seen a numberfof people saved and growing. Sadly, we have also seen people turn away because the pull of addiction is so strong.

It is heartbreaking to see a parent choose their addiction - be it drugs, booze, gambling - over their child.

I'm thinking right now of two families who are now saved, members of the church, and growing as a result of that ministry. They are such a blessing to see!

Forr various reasons, we don't use Reformers now. We have a minustry called Help 4 You now. The materials have been written by one of the men in our church and are soundly biblical. I'm thankful we are continuing on reaching out to those who have strongholds in their lives.

Reformer's Unanymous is a wonderful ministry.  Yes, I can't imagine chosing a drug or alcohol over my child.  Even when I was into Tarot Cards, prior to my salvation, I never put it before Mark.  In fact, I never did it in front of Mark. 

How wonderful it is to see people grow through a godly Christ centered ministry.  I still can't understand why they wanted money up front.

I haven't heard of Helo 4 You know, but a homeless woman, who lived with us for 8 months, two years ago... told me about another Christ based program.  Cathie was addicted to smoking cigarettes, pills and booze.  Even the pharmacist at Giant Eagle warned her about taking her sleeping pills with Xanex for anxiety.  It was difficult to see a very intelligent and loving person, go down that road.  Sadly, after she returned home to Maryland, living from one home to another, she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and went home early to be with the Lord.  I praise God she was saved.  I have taken in the homeless before, but after this... Joe said, "no more" unless it is family.  With the nation in ruins, I think we might be going back to families living under one roof, as it was in the Great Depression.  As a child, my dad gave up his room for his handicapped aunt, and he slept in the attic with his brother with no heat.  I think we might have to prepare for those times to come again, as history certainly repeats itself.  And being homeless, is all too common now.   Many Americans are Dumpster Diving to feed their families.  God help us... 

• Members

Has anyone read the excellent book by Martin and Deidre Bobgan, 12 Steps to Destruction: Codependency Recovery Heresies?

This book is available as a free e-book, downloadable from the above link.

No, I haven't LindaR.  However it seems interesting.  I just finished a book called, "Brain on Fire, My Month of Madness" which was on the New York Best Seller's list for quite some time.  It came out in 2009, about a woman's journey from what they deemed was a phychological problem to enventually a serious physical problem, where this young woman's brain was being attacked by her body... by a rare disease.  A Syrian born American Neorologist diagosed this woman,  He is helping numerous other people sitting in psych wards and nursing homes b/c they have been diagnosed as crazy.  The reason I started to read it is because I am witnessing to a 20 year old young woman with many psychological problems.  She has had them her entire life.  What she has told me, seems similar to this rare neurological condition.  BTW, this Syrian born doctor was told by some of his teachers that he was stupid and would amount to nothing.  His family, in Syria, is so proud of him, as he is now a renowned known neurologist throughout the world and especially in the middle east.

I am also in the process of re-reading a book called, "Unveiling Islam"... AN INSIDER'S LOOK AT MUSLIM LIFE AND BELIEFS.  It written by two pastors who were saved out Islam, as was their other brother.  It isn't a slam on Islam, rather a compassionate book written on how to win Muslim's to Christ.  I live in a highly Muslim area, and I hope to take this information and use it to witness to the Muslim women I meet during the week.  My OBGYN is also married to a Muslim man and her office id filled with Palestinian women.  I have an appointment coming up, and I want to finish the book before I go to her office for a visit. 

I am always open to new books to read.  Thank you, sister.  I will probably order this from Barnes and Noble, as I usually find a used book in good condition from them.  It does sound very thought provoking and something I would be interested in knowing more about. 

• Administrators

Help 4 You us a ministry of our church, candle. The materials were written by a man in our church who had to come home from Africa due to a baffling sickness that causes major problems.

As he prayed about what to do jobwise, God seemed to be leading him into a writing ministry. Part of that was the material for Help 4 You. He has also written monthly devotion books and is working on one that is for the year. As well as other stuff.

• Members

Help 4 You us a ministry of our church, candle. The materials were written by a man in our church who had to come home from Africa due to a baffling sickness that causes major problems.

As he prayed about what to do jobwise, God seemed to be leading him into a writing ministry. Part of that was the material for Help 4 You. He has also written monthly devotion books and is working on one that is for the year. As well as other stuff.

That sound great, HC!  The Lord placed this man, in yet another position, in no time at all.

I hope it is a very successful ministry in your church.

• Members

If you're diabetic, I wouldn't drink any soda. Remember, the dr. who told you to drink whatever while you had a bladder infection you said was back in 80's. For some patients I'm sure doctors tell some to drink lots of whatever they want because they're not water drinkers, I know some people can't stand to drink water.

Thankfully I'm not diabetic.Wow, I've lost several friends due to that, its so sad to witness what that will do to a person.

I'm not, & never been a big drinker of water. I suppose I drink a bit more now than ever.

Archived