• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How To Overcome An Addiction To Mountain Dew

JerryNumbers

• Members

How to Overcome an Addiction to Mountain Dew 

I have never, never, been a morning person, & when I went into the Air Force one of biggest fears was at some point I would over sleep & be late for work or & appointment. Thankfully I never was.

In tech school I was very happy my school day started at about 3:00 PM, & not 7:00 AM. We got out at about 12:00 midnight, I've always loved breakfast but not in the erly morning hours. When teach school was out the chow hall was open & we could chose breakfast or Supper, I always ate breakfast.

When I got to my home base about June 18th or so my first job was working in the engine shop & had to be there at 7:00 AM. I would never get up early enough to eat breakfast, besides, I never enjoyed food in the early morning hours, unless I had been up all night. This job lasted about 6 months & I transferred to the flight line going to work at 3:00 PM.

During the 6 months I worked in the shop as soon as I got to work I would drink a Mountain Dew for my breakfast, them drink another one at our morning break. Them at dinner time I went to the chow hall & ate dinner. 

I never though about being addicted to Mountain Dew but I suppose I was drinking two of them every morning. After moving to the flight line 6 months later & going to work at 3:00 PM I stopped drinking them, & since them I've hardly ever drink one. When I moved to the flight line I picked up drinking coffee, on this shift when we would have our break time at the Flightline Restaurant most everyone drank coffee.

I guess my favorite cold drink has always been coke, but now days I might drink one coke & perhaps one Mountain Dew once a week, maybe not that much.

Have you ever been addicted to something such as this?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well since I was a boy at home with my folks, we have always drank soda.  When I was old enough to drive, my parents would send me to the store to buy soda for the week, 5 bottles a day for 5 people for seven days.  Around this time I noticed two things, that I was getting dehydrated more often, and that Mountain Dew, my favorite drink, didn't get me so dehydrated.  

I still drink a bottle a day of Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Sierra Mist's Cranberry Ginger Ale (which we only see during this time of year) or some combination of them.  I like Vernor's and A&W Root Beer (It's got that frosty mug taste!) too.  Bought a water cooler and found a place that sells distilled water for .25 cents a gallon.  Was going to fill it up tonight but it was raining and I put my cash in the offering plate, forgetting that I needed $1 for the water.  Dew still tastes good watered down.  I'm going for a 50% reduction.

I get a headache for not drinking something with caffeine.  Should I switch to coffee and water?  Am I addicted?  I don't know.   :icon_confused:  

• Administrators

Headaches from not getting caffeine usually mean withdrawal, swath...

I used to drink cherry diet coke. It was so good.! But I have acid reflux, so I had to stop drinking it. And hot coffee (decaf once in a while) and hot tea (unless it's decaf). If I drink soda, it's usually orange or sprite. Sometimes serra mist - and I love the cranberry!

I think I might have gotten addicted to the cherry coke had my reflux not gotten so bad. So I guess the reflux ended up being a good thing! :-D

• Members

I drink coffee yet never had a headache when I did not drink coffee & there's a few times when I went for long periods without drinking any.

A few times I got a bit hyper feeling because of drinking to much coffee, yet it has not done me that way many times.

Now days I generally drink only about 2 cups in the morning, & generally we will go out to eat two times per week & I always drink coffee, sometime 4 to 6 cups, it never causes me any problem except for making several trips to the bathroom. I see that as good extra exercise.  :knuppel:

• Members

Too much caffeine not good for you! I don't have to tell you that. It increases your blood pressure, increases your heart rate making your heart work harder. Caffeine dehydrates you because it goes through the kidneys fast and you excrete more liquid than you drank. Too much caffeine changes ph in your bladder, possibly increasing bladder/kidney infection. Diet is even worse for you believe it or not. The fake sugar makes your pancreas work harder than real sugar increasing your chances of diabetes. Also causes chemical changes in your brain so you crave sweet things. So you might as well drink the good stuff if you must!

I get my caffeine the natural way...through chocolate. :biggrin:

• Members

It isn't uncommon for someone to get addicted to soda. Caffeine is the #1 drug of choice in America, and yes, it is considered a drug. I had gotten to where I was drinking two 2 liters of mountain dew every day, so I cut back. Then it was creeping back up to one 2 liter a day, so I cut back. Then it was up again and down again. Finally, this year, I quit drinking it altogether (Thanks to my sister-in-law). The reason why you don't get the same reaction with coffee is because the caffeine is naturally found in it. Now, too much coffee isn't good for you, but if you stick to one or at the most two cups a day you will do fine (still working on that, and the baby isn't helping matters much). The ph levels are affected by a balance of acid and alkaline in your system. You want somewhere around 80% alkaline and 20% acid. Unfortunately, the average American diet is more like 10% alkaline and 90% acid. However if you can get past the 50 50 mark on the alkaline side, you are on relatively safe ground.

• Administrators

I am diabetic and if I drink regular coke or mountain dew, it won't be long before I'm fast asleep from sugar overload!

Just an FYI - did you know that caffeine can cause blood sugar to spike in the same manner as sugar?  The sugar in soda alone is bad, but the two combined can be deadly to a diabetic, that's for sure!

• Members

Too much caffeine not good for you! I don't have to tell you that. It increases your blood pressure, increases your heart rate making your heart work harder. Caffeine dehydrates you because it goes through the kidneys fast and you excrete more liquid than you drank. Too much caffeine changes ph in your bladder, possibly increasing bladder/kidney infection. Diet is even worse for you believe it or not. The fake sugar makes your pancreas work harder than real sugar increasing your chances of diabetes. Also causes chemical changes in your brain so you crave sweet things. So you might as well drink the good stuff if you must!

I get my caffeine the natural way...through chocolate. :biggrin:

Back in the 80's I had to be hospitalized because of a bladder infection. When I got out they told me to drink many liquids. Wife would not let me drink cokes. When I went back to my doctor for my 1st appointment I told him this. Since the bladder infection my wife refuses to let me drink cokes, what it your opinion?

He said, "Drink all the liquids you can whether its coffee, cokes, Dr, Peppers, I want you to drink am many liquids you can, except for alcohol. Do not drink any alcohol of any type."

I told him that I've always drink quite a bit of coffee, yet I hear some say its bad for you. He replied, "For some people its bad from them, for some it is not, I've got just a very few patients I've had to ask not to drink no more than one or two cups per day. I also have even fewer patients I had to tell not to drink no coffee. Your not even close to being like that & if you were I would tell you not to drink coffee, & the same thing is true about soft drinks. Of course no matter what it is you can have to much of it, but at this time you need ever ounce of liquids you can drink each & every day."

Even doctors have disagreement on such thing. And I suppose most of them are giving their best educated guess that they have gained though all of their patients.

For instants I know of a man that had cholesterol problems big time, no matter what he did his cholesterol still stayed high, even though he did everything his doctors told him to.  He said this is so aggravating, I talked to many that eats, drinks, all the stuff I can't, & do not exercise as I do, yet their cholesterol is nearly perfect.

It seems a lot of it has to do with a persons own system.

• Members

Just an FYI - did you know that caffeine can cause blood sugar to spike in the same manner as sugar?  The sugar in soda alone is bad, but the two combined can be deadly to a diabetic, that's for sure!

So can steroids.

What can help me more than anything with my muscles in the right side of my neck is a steroid shot, but it raises my blood sugar. Usually a steroid shot will give me relief in about 24 hours, & generally last about 2 to even 3 months.

But several years back when I was still working I got to many of them in a time period, my sugar lever was way up. Since that time I usually don't get one until I get to the point I can't seem to take it no longer. And my blood sugar lever has stayed where it should be.

That diabetes is scary! Seems there's more & more people that have it.

I sure feel for those who have it.

• Members

Let's tread lightly using the word "addiction". It's way overused.

Right, for many its not addiction, its simply they over do many things.

I've been a big coffee drinker most of my life being as I was a truck driver, yet I have never been addicted to it. Never had a reaction because I did not drink enough of it as those who are addicted to pain killer & such.

My sister was like that with Dr. Peppers.

• Members

If you're diabetic, I wouldn't drink any soda. Remember, the dr. who told you to drink whatever while you had a bladder infection you said was back in 80's. For some patients I'm sure doctors tell some to drink lots of whatever they want because they're not water drinkers, I know some people can't stand to drink water.

• Members

If I get dehydrated bad things start to happen.  So I am constantly refilling my mason 20 ounce mason jars many times a day between trips to the restroom.  As a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer once taught me, "Clear PXX Is For Mee!"  Some folks might not have clear urine with vitamins and such but that rule has worked for me and my family and friends for years.

The tap water around here tastes awful, as does much of the bottled stuff, but just like in the days aboard ships, I can drink gallons and gallons of distilled water all day long!  Hmmmm Hmmm Good!  

• Members

Let's tread lightly using the word "addiction". It's way overused.

Lefton, I agree with you 100%.  Today's society loves to use the word, "addiction."  Why not?  It brings in big bucks to the medical industry.  Psychiatrists make a whole lot of money with people who are addicted to chemicals.  Most of which are prescribed by them, might I add.  I know a man who was addicted to opiates, prescribed by a doctor for pain.  He went off "cold turkey" and has been opiate free for over a year.  :sSig_praiseGod:   Also, I have heard IFB's everywhere, including those in my church, say that alcohol is a sin.  If one ever does a study on alcohol and other chemically dependent substances, they will discover it is an allergy or as IFB's hate to hear, a disease.  A disease like diabetes or heart disease.  If diabetes can be cured, and it can... so can alcoholism.  Also, if Mountain Dew is an addiction, I suppose it is a sin, like alcohol.  :o   A European doctor discovered, years ago, that alcohol was an "allergy."  He experimented on Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcholics Anonymous, which was once called "The Oxford Club."  One must overcome this "allergy" by abstaining from it.  It is a bad habit and bad habits can be broken.  I also know many recovered alcoholics who make wonderful Christians.  In fact, they are the best Christians I know, once they are sober.  Anything can be called an addiction.  The word is used so widely today that man in his "infinite wisdom" *cough* has come up with so many mental health categories, it is pathetic.  I am a member of Al-Anon, which supports family members, living with alcoholics.  I have numerous books on the subject.  If you have a loved one who is suffering from alcoholism, just private message me, and maybe I can suggest some help.

Archived