• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

JerryNumbers

How To Overcome An Addiction To Mountain Dew

How to Overcome an Addiction to Mountain Dew 

I have never, never, been a morning person, & when I went into the Air Force one of biggest fears was at some point I would over sleep & be late for work or & appointment. Thankfully I never was.

In tech school I was very happy my school day started at about 3:00 PM, & not 7:00 AM. We got out at about 12:00 midnight, I've always loved breakfast but not in the erly morning hours. When teach school was out the chow hall was open & we could chose breakfast or Supper, I always ate breakfast.

When I got to my home base about June 18th or so my first job was working in the engine shop & had to be there at 7:00 AM. I would never get up early enough to eat breakfast, besides, I never enjoyed food in the early morning hours, unless I had been up all night. This job lasted about 6 months & I transferred to the flight line going to work at 3:00 PM.

During the 6 months I worked in the shop as soon as I got to work I would drink a Mountain Dew for my breakfast, them drink another one at our morning break. Them at dinner time I went to the chow hall & ate dinner. 

I never though about being addicted to Mountain Dew but I suppose I was drinking two of them every morning. After moving to the flight line 6 months later & going to work at 3:00 PM I stopped drinking them, & since them I've hardly ever drink one. When I moved to the flight line I picked up drinking coffee, on this shift when we would have our break time at the Flightline Restaurant most everyone drank coffee.

I guess my favorite cold drink has always been coke, but now days I might drink one coke & perhaps one Mountain Dew once a week, maybe not that much.

Have you ever been addicted to something such as this?

Well since I was a boy at home with my folks, we have always drank soda.  When I was old enough to drive, my parents would send me to the store to buy soda for the week, 5 bottles a day for 5 people for seven days.  Around this time I noticed two things, that I was getting dehydrated more often, and that Mountain Dew, my favorite drink, didn't get me so dehydrated.  

I still drink a bottle a day of Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Sierra Mist's Cranberry Ginger Ale (which we only see during this time of year) or some combination of them.  I like Vernor's and A&W Root Beer (It's got that frosty mug taste!) too.  Bought a water cooler and found a place that sells distilled water for .25 cents a gallon.  Was going to fill it up tonight but it was raining and I put my cash in the offering plate, forgetting that I needed $1 for the water.  Dew still tastes good watered down.  I'm going for a 50% reduction.

I get a headache for not drinking something with caffeine.  Should I switch to coffee and water?  Am I addicted?  I don't know.   :icon_confused:  

Edited by swathdiver

Headaches from not getting caffeine usually mean withdrawal, swath...

I used to drink cherry diet coke. It was so good.! But I have acid reflux, so I had to stop drinking it. And hot coffee (decaf once in a while) and hot tea (unless it's decaf). If I drink soda, it's usually orange or sprite. Sometimes serra mist - and I love the cranberry!

I think I might have gotten addicted to the cherry coke had my reflux not gotten so bad. So I guess the reflux ended up being a good thing! :-D

I drink coffee yet never had a headache when I did not drink coffee & there's a few times when I went for long periods without drinking any.

A few times I got a bit hyper feeling because of drinking to much coffee, yet it has not done me that way many times.

Now days I generally drink only about 2 cups in the morning, & generally we will go out to eat two times per week & I always drink coffee, sometime 4 to 6 cups, it never causes me any problem except for making several trips to the bathroom. I see that as good extra exercise.  :knuppel:

Too much caffeine not good for you! I don't have to tell you that. It increases your blood pressure, increases your heart rate making your heart work harder. Caffeine dehydrates you because it goes through the kidneys fast and you excrete more liquid than you drank. Too much caffeine changes ph in your bladder, possibly increasing bladder/kidney infection. Diet is even worse for you believe it or not. The fake sugar makes your pancreas work harder than real sugar increasing your chances of diabetes. Also causes chemical changes in your brain so you crave sweet things. So you might as well drink the good stuff if you must!

I get my caffeine the natural way...through chocolate. :biggrin:

It isn't uncommon for someone to get addicted to soda. Caffeine is the #1 drug of choice in America, and yes, it is considered a drug. I had gotten to where I was drinking two 2 liters of mountain dew every day, so I cut back. Then it was creeping back up to one 2 liter a day, so I cut back. Then it was up again and down again. Finally, this year, I quit drinking it altogether (Thanks to my sister-in-law). The reason why you don't get the same reaction with coffee is because the caffeine is naturally found in it. Now, too much coffee isn't good for you, but if you stick to one or at the most two cups a day you will do fine (still working on that, and the baby isn't helping matters much). The ph levels are affected by a balance of acid and alkaline in your system. You want somewhere around 80% alkaline and 20% acid. Unfortunately, the average American diet is more like 10% alkaline and 90% acid. However if you can get past the 50 50 mark on the alkaline side, you are on relatively safe ground.

I am diabetic and if I drink regular coke or mountain dew, it won't be long before I'm fast asleep from sugar overload!

Just an FYI - did you know that caffeine can cause blood sugar to spike in the same manner as sugar?  The sugar in soda alone is bad, but the two combined can be deadly to a diabetic, that's for sure!

Too much caffeine not good for you! I don't have to tell you that. It increases your blood pressure, increases your heart rate making your heart work harder. Caffeine dehydrates you because it goes through the kidneys fast and you excrete more liquid than you drank. Too much caffeine changes ph in your bladder, possibly increasing bladder/kidney infection. Diet is even worse for you believe it or not. The fake sugar makes your pancreas work harder than real sugar increasing your chances of diabetes. Also causes chemical changes in your brain so you crave sweet things. So you might as well drink the good stuff if you must!

I get my caffeine the natural way...through chocolate. :biggrin:

Back in the 80's I had to be hospitalized because of a bladder infection. When I got out they told me to drink many liquids. Wife would not let me drink cokes. When I went back to my doctor for my 1st appointment I told him this. Since the bladder infection my wife refuses to let me drink cokes, what it your opinion?

He said, "Drink all the liquids you can whether its coffee, cokes, Dr, Peppers, I want you to drink am many liquids you can, except for alcohol. Do not drink any alcohol of any type."

I told him that I've always drink quite a bit of coffee, yet I hear some say its bad for you. He replied, "For some people its bad from them, for some it is not, I've got just a very few patients I've had to ask not to drink no more than one or two cups per day. I also have even fewer patients I had to tell not to drink no coffee. Your not even close to being like that & if you were I would tell you not to drink coffee, & the same thing is true about soft drinks. Of course no matter what it is you can have to much of it, but at this time you need ever ounce of liquids you can drink each & every day."

Even doctors have disagreement on such thing. And I suppose most of them are giving their best educated guess that they have gained though all of their patients.

For instants I know of a man that had cholesterol problems big time, no matter what he did his cholesterol still stayed high, even though he did everything his doctors told him to.  He said this is so aggravating, I talked to many that eats, drinks, all the stuff I can't, & do not exercise as I do, yet their cholesterol is nearly perfect.

It seems a lot of it has to do with a persons own system.

Just an FYI - did you know that caffeine can cause blood sugar to spike in the same manner as sugar?  The sugar in soda alone is bad, but the two combined can be deadly to a diabetic, that's for sure!

So can steroids.

What can help me more than anything with my muscles in the right side of my neck is a steroid shot, but it raises my blood sugar. Usually a steroid shot will give me relief in about 24 hours, & generally last about 2 to even 3 months.

But several years back when I was still working I got to many of them in a time period, my sugar lever was way up. Since that time I usually don't get one until I get to the point I can't seem to take it no longer. And my blood sugar lever has stayed where it should be.

That diabetes is scary! Seems there's more & more people that have it.

I sure feel for those who have it.

Let's tread lightly using the word "addiction". It's way overused.

Right, for many its not addiction, its simply they over do many things.

I've been a big coffee drinker most of my life being as I was a truck driver, yet I have never been addicted to it. Never had a reaction because I did not drink enough of it as those who are addicted to pain killer & such.

My sister was like that with Dr. Peppers.

If you're diabetic, I wouldn't drink any soda. Remember, the dr. who told you to drink whatever while you had a bladder infection you said was back in 80's. For some patients I'm sure doctors tell some to drink lots of whatever they want because they're not water drinkers, I know some people can't stand to drink water.

If I get dehydrated bad things start to happen.  So I am constantly refilling my mason 20 ounce mason jars many times a day between trips to the restroom.  As a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer once taught me, "Clear PXX Is For Mee!"  Some folks might not have clear urine with vitamins and such but that rule has worked for me and my family and friends for years.

The tap water around here tastes awful, as does much of the bottled stuff, but just like in the days aboard ships, I can drink gallons and gallons of distilled water all day long!  Hmmmm Hmmm Good!  

Let's tread lightly using the word "addiction". It's way overused.

Lefton, I agree with you 100%.  Today's society loves to use the word, "addiction."  Why not?  It brings in big bucks to the medical industry.  Psychiatrists make a whole lot of money with people who are addicted to chemicals.  Most of which are prescribed by them, might I add.  I know a man who was addicted to opiates, prescribed by a doctor for pain.  He went off "cold turkey" and has been opiate free for over a year.  :sSig_praiseGod:   Also, I have heard IFB's everywhere, including those in my church, say that alcohol is a sin.  If one ever does a study on alcohol and other chemically dependent substances, they will discover it is an allergy or as IFB's hate to hear, a disease.  A disease like diabetes or heart disease.  If diabetes can be cured, and it can... so can alcoholism.  Also, if Mountain Dew is an addiction, I suppose it is a sin, like alcohol.  :o   A European doctor discovered, years ago, that alcohol was an "allergy."  He experimented on Bill Wilson, co-founder of Alcholics Anonymous, which was once called "The Oxford Club."  One must overcome this "allergy" by abstaining from it.  It is a bad habit and bad habits can be broken.  I also know many recovered alcoholics who make wonderful Christians.  In fact, they are the best Christians I know, once they are sober.  Anything can be called an addiction.  The word is used so widely today that man in his "infinite wisdom" *cough* has come up with so many mental health categories, it is pathetic.  I am a member of Al-Anon, which supports family members, living with alcoholics.  I have numerous books on the subject.  If you have a loved one who is suffering from alcoholism, just private message me, and maybe I can suggest some help.

Sorry, but I don't accept that alcoholism is a disease or an allergy.  Unless now they sell diseases and allergies in bottles at stores specifically designed for them....And it's the only disease or allergy God calls unwise...(other than STDs, which are obvious results of sin on someone's part).  If it's a disease, we need to quit using scripture to point out that it's wrong...

And, it is easy, actually, to become addicted to something.  An addiction is something that one has ingested in some way to the point that going without it causes pain or discomfort to the body, because the body has become dependent on it  (I don't know about anyone else, but my body sure isn't dependent on my allergies  :biggrin: ).  When I was younger (in my teens) I was addicted to cigarettes.  Smokers are. That's why it's hard for them to quit. Not that it is a disease - they are addicted to the nicotine and other substances in the cigarette.  When they don't get it, the body revolts until they can soothe that revolt with a drag of the smoke into their lungs.  It takes time to get over, but it can be done.  

Same thing with alcohol.  When someone drinks it to the point where they are an alcoholic, their body becomes dependent on it.  When they try to stop, it causes problems with their bodies.  Even as it destroys their bodies.  It can be beaten, and it has been by many.  

I believe it is possible to have an allergy to what is in booze, but I don't believe that being an alcoholic is an allergy. It is sin. And that isn't because I'm IFB (besides that - it isn't only IFB that call it sin...). It's because God says to stay away from it.  

My Dad had diabetes and cancer.  Neither of which he did to himself.  Alcoholics become that way because they drink. And then they drink too much. And then they can't stop because they are addicted.  It's not a disease.  Trying to say that it's a disease eases the guilt of the person but it's disingenuous at best.

I would agree, we need to be careful of throwing around the word addiction.  But, sad to say, because we are in the flesh, it can at times be easy to be addicted to something.  There are substances (like caffeine, nicotine, alcohol - even sugar) that when overused can cause a dependency.  That's an addiction.   "A strong and harmful need to regularly have or do something..."  Gambling. Alcohol.  And a whole host of other things.

Sorry, but I don't accept that alcoholism is a disease or an allergy.  Unless now they sell diseases and allergies in bottles at stores specifically designed for them....And it's the only disease or allergy God calls unwise...(other than STDs, which are obvious results of sin on someone's part).  If it's a disease, we need to quit using scripture to point out that it's wrong...

And, it is easy, actually, to become addicted to something.  An addiction is something that one has ingested in some way to the point that going without it causes pain or discomfort to the body, because the body has become dependent on it  (I don't know about anyone else, but my body sure isn't dependent on my allergies  :biggrin: ).  When I was younger (in my teens) I was addicted to cigarettes.  Smokers are. That's why it's hard for them to quit. Not that it is a disease - they are addicted to the nicotine and other substances in the cigarette.  When they don't get it, the body revolts until they can soothe that revolt with a drag of the smoke into their lungs.  It takes time to get over, but it can be done.  

Same thing with alcohol.  When someone drinks it to the point where they are an alcoholic, their body becomes dependent on it.  When they try to stop, it causes problems with their bodies.  Even as it destroys their bodies.  It can be beaten, and it has been by many.  

I believe it is possible to have an allergy to what is in booze, but I don't believe that being an alcoholic is an allergy. It is sin. And that isn't because I'm IFB (besides that - it isn't only IFB that call it sin...). It's because God says to stay away from it.  

My Dad had diabetes and cancer.  Neither of which he did to himself.  Alcoholics become that way because they drink. And then they drink too much. And then they can't stop because they are addicted.  It's not a disease.  Trying to say that it's a disease eases the guilt of the person but it's disingenuous at best.

I would agree, we need to be careful of throwing around the word addiction.  But, sad to say, because we are in the flesh, it can at times be easy to be addicted to something.  There are substances (like caffeine, nicotine, alcohol - even sugar) that when overused can cause a dependency.  That's an addiction.   "A strong and harmful need to regularly have or do something..."  Gambling. Alcohol.  And a whole host of other things.

Then, I suppose Mountain Dew can become a disease or allergy if too much is taken?  I am just so tired of the medical world putting labels on things.  Who makes out on that?  The FDA.  Every year a new label comes out.  There are so many doctors making a killing on drugs to cure this and that.  Many times a doctor will put an alcoholic on medication.  Usually an anti-depressant, which, IMO is totally unnecessary.  They are substituting one drug for another.  How is one medication going to help someone who is self medicating?  It can't.  It is like putting a bandaid on a broken bone.  It doesn't work that way.  While you might not agree with what I am saying, HC... I have numerous books from well known doctors in this field.  I spent five years of my first marriage married to a functioning drunk.  I have spent numerous years after, in Al-Anon meetings and getting my hands on all kinds of resources to help me understand this problem.  That would be a total of 26 years.  BTW, Al-Anon was key in leading me to the Lord Jesus Christ... as other 12 Step Programs are for people.  Also, I suppose over-eating is a sin, as well?  It must be b/c it causes numerous health problems.  The recovered alcoholics that I know, would disagree with you on this topic.  What you said below is correct, though:

"I believe it is possible to have an allergy to what is in booze, but I don't believe that being an alcoholic is an allergy. It is sin. And that isn't because I'm IFB (besides that - it isn't only IFB that call it sin...). It's because God says to stay away from it."

That is correct.  It is what is in the alcohol that causes the allergy.  That is a medically proven fact.

I won't labor anymore on this, as I know IFB's will not see science as it is.  If you say it is a sin.  Well, it is.  :icon_rolleyes:  God warns about alcohol all over the Bible.  I am the first person to point these scriptures out to people who think, drinking moderately is alright.  No, it isn't.  Alcohol is poison, as are many things on this sinned filled planet.

Then, I suppose Mountain Dew can become a disease or allergy if too much is taken?  I am just so tired of the medical world putting labels on things.  Who makes out on that?  The FDA.  Every year a new label comes out.  There are so many doctors making a killing on drugs to cure this and that.  Many times a doctor will put an alcoholic on medication.  Usually an anti-depressant, which, IMO is totally unnecessary.  They are substituting one drug for another.  How is one medication going to help someone who is self medicating?  It can't.  It is like putting a bandaid on a broken bone.  It doesn't work that way.  While you might not agree with what I am saying, HC... I have numerous books from well known doctors in this field.  I spent five years of my first marriage married to a functioning drunk.  I have spent numerous years after, in Al-Anon meetings and getting my hands on all kinds of resources to help me understand this problem.  That would be a total of 26 years.  BTW, Al-Anon was key in leading me to the Lord Jesus Christ... as other 12 Step Programs are for people.  Also, I suppose over-eating is a sin, as well?  It must be b/c it causes numerous health problems.  The recovered alcoholics that I know, would disagree with you on this topic.  What you said below is correct, though:

"I believe it is possible to have an allergy to what is in booze, but I don't believe that being an alcoholic is an allergy. It is sin. And that isn't because I'm IFB (besides that - it isn't only IFB that call it sin...). It's because God says to stay away from it."

That is correct.  It is what is in the alcohol that causes the allergy.  That is a medically proven fact.

I won't labor anymore on this, as I know IFB's will not see science as it is.  If you say it is a sin.  Well, it is.  :icon_rolleyes:  God warns about alcohol all over the Bible.  I am the first person to point these scriptures out to people who think, drinking moderately is alright.  No, it isn't.  Alcohol is poison, as are many things on this sinned filled planet.

Ok - for starters, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was stating my opinion, as has everyone else.  Even doctors go by opinion, and just because they say it is so doesn't make it so.  No matter how many books are written about something.  There are a lot of medically proven facts that have been disproven, and this idea about alcoholism being an allergy or disease is relatively recent.  

And, please, stop dissing IFBs.  You are broadbrushing when you claim "IFBs will not see science as fact. If you say it is sin. Well it is." Then you go on to say God warns about it...why would God warn about it if isn't sin (in fact, you've said before that it is...).  I don't say it's sin.  God lays down principles about alcohol.  And I do see science as it is.  I'm quite fond of it, in fact.  But remember the Bible talks about "science falsely so called."  Man perverts the truths found in God's Word - much of what the world calls science today isn't really...

I, too, have had drunkards in my life (drunkard being what the Bible uses, and what they were called before conditioning to call it a disease began), most noticeably my biological father. I know what it is to live with one. He was also a functioning drunk...but he was also a mean one. One I watched try to kill my mom. And there are others - one who apologized for hitting me with an ashtray meant for my mother.  Another who molested a very good friend. Another who killed my best friend while drunk.  And the list could go on.  So, I do know what it's like having them in one's life.  And being scarred by them.  That doesn't lessen your experience with it.  And I'm so glad you were able to get help.  No way was I intending to insult you by stating that I don't agree that it's an allergy or disease.  And, yes, gluttony would be sin.  The Bible specifies that as being wrong as well.  Over-indulgence in anything is.

I don't believe Mountain Dew can become an allergy or disease if too much is taken.  Addiction, yes, because of the caffeine. Tear up the stomach, yes, because of the caffeine and the seltzer.  

I'm sure you do have lots of material on it.  And kudos to you for searching out what you needed for help.  I know others who have done that, too.  But the material they have doesn't agree with what you have.  :icon_smile:   That's the medical world.  Very rarely consistent, often wrong, but sorely needed!

Ok - for starters, I wasn't trying to start an argument. I was stating my opinion, as has everyone else.  Even doctors go by opinion, and just because they say it is so doesn't make it so.  No matter how many books are written about something.  There are a lot of medically proven facts that have been disproven, and this idea about alcoholism being an allergy or disease is relatively recent.  

And, please, stop dissing IFBs.  You are broadbrushing when you claim "IFBs will not see science as fact. If you say it is sin. Well it is." Then you go on to say God warns about it...why would God warn about it if isn't sin (in fact, you've said before that it is...).  I don't say it's sin.  God lays down principles about alcohol.  And I do see science as it is.  I'm quite fond of it, in fact.  But remember the Bible talks about "science falsely so called."  Man perverts the truths found in God's Word - much of what the world calls science today isn't really...

I, too, have had drunkards in my life (drunkard being what the Bible uses, and what they were called before conditioning to call it a disease began), most noticeably my biological father. I know what it is to live with one. He was also a functioning drunk...but he was also a mean one. One I watched try to kill my mom. And there are others - one who apologized for hitting me with an ashtray meant for my mother.  Another who molested a very good friend. Another who killed my best friend while drunk.  And the list could go on.  So, I do know what it's like having them in one's life.  And being scarred by them.  That doesn't lessen your experience with it.  And I'm so glad you were able to get help.  No way was I intending to insult you by stating that I don't agree that it's an allergy or disease.  And, yes, gluttony would be sin.  The Bible specifies that as being wrong as well.  Over-indulgence in anything is.

I don't believe Mountain Dew can become an allergy or disease if too much is taken.  Addiction, yes, because of the caffeine. Tear up the stomach, yes, because of the caffeine and the seltzer.  

I'm sure you do have lots of material on it.  And kudos to you for searching out what you needed for help.  I know others who have done that, too.  But the material they have doesn't agree with what you have.  :icon_smile:   That's the medical world.  Very rarely consistent, often wrong, but sorely needed!

HC, I knew you before you were a mod on OB, and I must say that your posts are quite different than they were before you became a mod.  You come across as very demonstrative, in your posts, about anything that you don't agree with.  You end up becoming the Supreme High Commander... and I don't say that with respect.  OB is not the military.  You treat your job, as mod, like you are a sergeant in the Marine Corps.

I accept what you believe is true, and have no problem with that.  Everyone has an opinion.  I am so sorry that you had to endure what you did at the hands of a drunk.  Sadly, that drunk was your dad.  The only reason that I use IFB, is that the only other religion that I have to compare it to is the RCC.  And, they are very supportive of AA and all 12 step programs.  I know for a fact, that IFB's have discouraged many people from going to AA meetings and have went as far as to call it a cult.  It is preached against at many pulpits.  Pastors will say a person needs more self control.  Well, obviously, drunks don't have self control.  I have seen many friends from high school, sober these days, b/c of Alcoholics Anonymous.  Not everyone can go to an IFB church where someone will open up to them about their alcohol addiction and abuse.  In fact, I know people who, when telling their testimonies... won't devulge things for fear that they will be judged.

Now, as for diseases?  My dad suffered long and hard with cancer for 6 years.  What ended up killing him was the chemotherapy he took.  It perforated a hole in his stomach where he vomited blood from his mouth, thus ending up in a coma for two days.  He contracted cancer in a steel plant where he worked.  I had a pastor tell the flock, at my old IFB church, that he believes all illnesses are sins.  How exactly did my father sin while exposed to chemicals at work?  Christians throw the "sin" word around way too much.  It is a big cop-out and word used to explain away anything.  That is one of the biggests problems I have in Christianity.  Instead of drawing people in with love and compassion, many people overuse the "sin" word which ends up driving away many people.  This has been my experience in the IFB church.  I can only say IFB, as I only know the RCC and "sin" was never spoken of in Vatican II.  A whole new world opened up to me when I stepped into the IFB church.  Sadly, some things should have never been said from the pulpit nor from the saints.  If a pastor wants to talk about "self control"... maybe he can start with his flock. 

Edited by candlelight

Addiction is about control.

It is something that controls you.

Addiction can cause health problems, but it is primarily spiritual and emotional.

If it was purely physical then addiction to gambling, excitement (thrillseeking), and pornography would not be possible.

And victory over addiction by spiritual means would not be possible.

That is not to say that there are no physical aspects - physical withdrawal symptoms are very real.
But the actual addiction itself is a spiritual and emotional thing.
What you are addicted to EFFECTS you in different ways, but the addiction itself is at its base an unwillingness to submit to God's leading, guidance, and commands.

You can be addicted to things which are not sinful in themselves - car magazines for instance. At times I have bought and read car magazines to the exclusion of reading God's Word. Bought each new magazine, read it cover to cover, then again several times, the whole time not reading or thinking about God's Word, and waiting, waiting, waiting for the next addition to come out.
I was addicted.
I only had victory over it when I acknowledged that it was taking precedence over the things of God.

Addiction often causes disease, but it is not disease itself.

Ultimately it is the 'disease' of idolatry - putting something in control of your life other than God.

HC, I knew you before you were a mod on OB, and I must say that your posts are quite different than they were before you became a mod.  You come across as very demonstrative, in your posts, about anything that you don't agree with.  You end up becoming the Supreme High Commander... and I don't say that with respect.  OB is not the military.  You treat your job, as mod, like you are a sergeant in the Marine Corps.  Knock it off, candlelight.  I'm really getting tired of you bashing me about being a mod and the way I do my "job" - even if I'm only commenting.  I knew you before I was a mod, too, and it appears to me since you've come back that you take everything someone disagrees with you about personally, when it is meant in to way so to be.  I've had to make sure that my posts to you contain plenty of caveats that I'm not meaning to be insulting, etc. - and you still take offense.  Unnecessarily.

I accept what you believe is true, and have no problem with that. Right.  Everyone has an opinion.  I am so sorry that you had to endure what you did at the hands of a drunk.  Sadly, that drunk was your dad.  The only reason that I use IFB, is that the only other religion that I have to compare it to is the RCC. Using IFB as example is one thing. Dissing them is another. And, they are very supportive of AA and all 12 step programs.  I know for a fact, that IFB's have discouraged many people from going to AA meetings and have went as far as to call it a cult.  It is preached against at many pulpits.  Pastors will say a person needs more self control.  Well, obviously, drunks don't have self control.  I have seen many friends from high school, sober these days, b/c of Alcoholics Anonymous.  Not everyone can go to an IFB church where someone will open up to them about their alcohol addiction and abuse.  In fact, I know people who, when telling their testimonies... won't devulge things for fear that they will be judged. I would agree with that, but it most certainly does not just take place in the IFB.

Now, as for diseases?  My dad suffered long and hard with cancer for 6 years.  What ended up killing him was the chemotherapy he took.  It perforated a hole in his stomach where he vomited blood from his mouth, thus ending up in a coma for two days.  He contracted cancer in a steel plant where he worked.  I had a pastor tell the flock, at my old IFB church, that he believes all illnesses are sins. I've heard that preached before, and it's completely unbiblical.  Rather, it is the fact that sin is in the world and our bodies decay as a result that is at fault. Not necessarily personal sin at all! I'm sorry you had to hear that - compounding grief with that nonsense!  How exactly did my father sin while exposed to chemicals at work?  Christians throw the "sin" word around way too much. Some do, yes. It is a big cop-out and word used to explain away anything.  That is one of the biggests problems I have in Christianity.  Instead of drawing people in with love and compassion, many people overuse the "sin" word which ends up driving away many people.  This has been my experience in the IFB church.  I can only say IFB, as I only know the RCC and "sin" was never spoken of in Vatican II.  A whole new world opened up to me when I stepped into the IFB church. I understand that completely.  But to imply that all IFB are like that isn't right - that was my point. Sadly, some things should have never been said from the pulpit nor from the saints.  If a pastor wants to talk about "self control"... maybe he can start with his flock.  

There is a saying that goes, "If you have to control your drinking, it is already out of control."

It is true what you said above, DaveW, however addiction is not merely spiritual.  It is also physical.  A drunk has to have "his/her" fix.  It becomes a physical addiction with "hand/mouth" fixation.  The same is said with smokers and addicts.

You didn't respond to how drunks are treated in church, though, regarding the 12 Step Program of AA?  You gave your problem to the Lord Jesus Christ.  He took it away.  Did you also have moral support, at church, during this time? 

Much of what frustrated me with the situation, at my old IFB church, was the fact that I had a ministry working with homeless women.  Besides the pastor, another couple, and my husband, I got no support with this ministry, at all.  All I got were complaints.  I worked the bus ministry and served them breakfast in the kitchen every Sunday morning.  The majority of the saints, in the church, talked badly about these women and couldn't be bothered with saying a kind word or two to them.  They treated them like they had leprosy.  I didn't participate in the "chats" during the church council meetings.  I was excluded and wasn't even asked to participate.  Many of the people talked about these women, behind their backs.  I was asked to take the job, b/c at one time, I was a single mom.  But there for the grace of God, I didn't end up homeless b/c I had a good job.  I was extremely disappointed with the treatment the church folk gave or didn't give to these women.  That is how I was "burned" by the IFB church, HC.  I couldn't understand how Christian charity was not extended to these poor women.  And, what is worse... they knew it.  :( Shortly after we left the church to go back home to our first IFB church, the ministry folded.  The church extended the nursery for the babies and sadly, it got no use.  The bus ministry also stopped.  I don't know any of the details, nor to I care to know.  

There is a saying that goes, "If you have to control your drinking, it is already out of control."

It is true what you said above, DaveW, however addiction is not merely spiritual.  It is also physical.  A drunk has to have "his/her" fix.  It becomes a physical addiction with "hand/mouth" fixation.  The same is said with smokers and addicts.

You didn't respond to how drunks are treated in church, though, regarding the 12 Step Program of AA?  You gave your problem to the Lord Jesus Christ.  He took it away.  Did you also have moral support, at church, during this time? 

Much of what frustrated me with the situation, at my old IFB church, was the fact that I had a ministry working with homeless women.  Besides the pastor, another couple, and my husband, I got no support with this ministry, at all.  All I got were complaints.  I worked the bus ministry and served them breakfast in the kitchen every Sunday morning.  The majority of the saints, in the church, talked badly about these women and couldn't be bothered with saying a kind word or two to them.  They treated them like they had leprosy.  I didn't participate in the "chats" during the church council meetings.  I was excluded and wasn't even asked to participate.  Many of the people talked about these women, behind their backs.  I was asked to take the job, b/c at one time, I was a single mom.  But there for the grace of God, I didn't end up homeless b/c I had a good job.  I was extremely disappointed with the treatment the church folk gave or didn't give to these women.  That is how I was "burned" by the IFB church, HC.  I couldn't understand how Christian charity was not extended to these poor women.  And, what is worse... they knew it.  :( Shortly after we left the church to go back home to our first IFB church, the ministry folded.  The church extended the nursery for the babies and sadly, it got no use.  The bus ministry also stopped.  I don't know any of the details, nor to I care to know.  

That is heartbreaking!

Honesty seems to be key on OB, therefore I was just saying what I believe.  I will stop, though.  I didn't think you were being "caveat" with me.  I am sorry you feel that way.  I take things personally b/c this board is not the same as I remember it to be.  Most of the old crew is gone.  Many of the people, on this board, are harse and I have seen a lot of dissention rather than discussion.  I will "diss" as you call... it when it is called for.  Although, "diss" is too strong a word for me to use.  I have always been blunt.  I am not a Cookie Cutter Christian and believe honesty is best... even if it is sometimes a little brutal.  I know many IFB's who have had drug and alcohol problems, and have told me personally, they won't speak of it in their testimonies b/c they don't want to be judged by the saints.  That is a fact that I know.

As for the pastor who speaks this?  I don't think you know him or of him, unless he is from the State of OH.  He is a small fish in a big pond.  I am not talking about all IFB's, HC.  I am talking about the ones that I have met, personally, and I make it a point not to associate with them... due to their lack of passion.  I am a passionate person.  I have a huge passion for souls to get saved, as most people do, however, I believe in accepting people where they are... not what they will become.  We are all "Diamonds in the Rough."  God does not expect perfection, and neither should we.

You can overcome any addiction by purely for spiritual means.
There is a physical side of course but it is the result, not the cause of the addiction.
I didn't respond to the AA thing because I didn't think you asked anything about it - to me you stated an opinion.
I have no problem with addiction programs, have attended some workshops, have a friend who runs one.
Personally I think AA has problems, mostly due to the fact that they not biblical in their approach but are instead a bit 'churchy'. They do some good though.
I see way too much condemnation of addicts instead of Biblical support, but also way too much unbiblical 'support' that bandaids the problem rather than addressing it.

I got no support nor judgement - but I also sought no support from people.

And they say that smoking is one of the hardest to break. I smoked when I was younger.
I tried to quit many times. For my girlfriend, for the health, for the cost. The withdrawals are real.
The thing that gave me victory was realising that it dishonoured the Lord.
The withdrawals became unimportant - still felt them, but that didn't matter now.

Addiction - all addiction - is primarily a spiritual issue. There are physical effects both immediate and long term, and addiction often causes disease, but addiction itself is spiritual and emotional.

Genuine spiritual support is often neglected, but of the greatest help.