• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Running Into Some Pelegians And Holiness/pentecostal Types

2T3:16

• Members

Some of these people really know my bible. They are giving me a run for my money on facebook:

We are discussing:

original sin

meaning of repentance

living a sinless life

(and eternal security)

I am also running into those that argue there is more than one gospel

These people certainly help keep me humble.

Anybody know good solid resources?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looking at Wayne's post where he references 1 John 3 and Romans 3, arguing that people sin under the Law, but that they which are born of God don't sin.

While the two verses state that, Scripture reveals that Paul was saved and found himself doing evil though he did not want to (Rom 7:18)

Romans 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Many would argue that Paul is speaking of his life prior to Salvation in the verse above.  I disagree.  Paul said, "That I do" (present tense)  He did not say "That I did."

The Apostle John also stated that sinning is possible after Salvation.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

It is clear that when one rightly divides the Word of Truth, one will see that because of our flesh nature, we are tempted to, and do, sin.

• Members

Some of these people really know my bible. They are giving me a run for my money on facebook:

We are discussing:

original sin

meaning of repentance

living a sinless life

(and eternal security)

I am also running into those that argue there is more than one gospel

These people certainly help keep me humble.

Anybody know good solid resources?

There is more than one gospel in scripture, but there is only one for today. i.e. the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Also, remember that there is a difference between Total Depravity and Total Inability. True Calvinists teach the latter though they may call it the former.

The same goes for Perseverance of the Saints. It is not the same as the Preservation of the Saints which we believe. Calvinism teaches the former.

• Members

There is more than one gospel in scripture, but there is only one for today. i.e. the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Also, remember that there is a difference between Total Depravity and Total Inability. True Calvinists teach the latter though they may call it the former.

The same goes for Perseverance of the Saints. It is not the same as the Preservation of the Saints which we believe. Calvinism teaches the former.

Just how many gospels do you see in Scripture?

• Members

This is a correct and important distinction. Calvinists (at least the ones I've dealt with) often try to argue a "total inability" interpretation from Romans 3:10-12. However, this bends and stretches the text way past the breaking point. That passage speaks only of what people do and not what they are able to do. A Calvinist sees original sin as removing everyone's ability to choose right, largely based on the writings of Augustine. They need this interpretation to support their version of unconditional election/double-predestination and limited atonement (sometimes argued in reverse though).

Pelagians on the other hand stress that original sin stayed with Adam and that all people are born sinless. This is somewhat of an oversimplification but is the main thrust of their argument for absolute free will. They believe that every individual has the ability to remain sinless and work their way to heaven, but most fail.

Thus, what you have is two lines of thought in complete overreaction to the other. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

• Members

Pelagians on the other hand stress that original sin stayed with Adam and that all people are born sinless. This is somewhat of an oversimplification but is the main thrust of their argument for absolute free will. They believe that every individual has the ability to remain sinless and work their way to heaven, but most fail.

Ask them to name one person outside of Jesus Christ that remained sinless. If they can't then their whole argument is moot.

• Members

Just how many gospels do you see in Scripture?

Let's see, there's:

the gospel of the kingdom

the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ aka gospel of grace

the everlasting gospel

the gospel preached before to Abraham concerning his seed

Paul's gospel which he calls "my gospel"

Remember, the word "gospel" simply means "good news". We preach the gospel of grace today. Paul's gospel was this but also included the revelation of the body of Christ i.e. Jews and Gentiles in the same body. So we preach that too. At least, we should preach that.

• Members

Let's see, there's:

the gospel of the kingdom

the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ aka gospel of grace

the everlasting gospel

the gospel preached before to Abraham concerning his seed

Paul's gospel which he calls "my gospel"

Remember, the word "gospel" simply means "good news". We preach the gospel of grace today. Paul's gospel was this but also included the revelation of the body of Christ i.e. Jews and Gentiles in the same body. So we preach that too. At least, we should preach that.

Generally, when the Gospel is being discussed among Christians it means the message of salvation. When Christians spread the Gospel, they are spreading the message of salvation.

• Members

Generally, when the Gospel is being discussed among Christians it means the message of salvation. When Christians spread the Gospel, they are spreading the message of salvation.

I agree 100%. But you still have to differentiate in scripture. Not doing this has led some folks to preach a false gospel or add to the gospel that we preach today, Acts 2:38 being the prime example. The gospel of the kingdom is not the gospel we preach today. That was a gospel being offered to the Jews at Christ's first coming which they rejected.

• Members

I must have missed it, but what is a peligian? Never heard of that before. For that matter, I thought I understood charismatics, is holiness a different denomination or off shoot of charismatics?

A pelican is a large bird with a big beak that has an expandable bladder attached to the underside of the beak.

;)

Glad I could be of some help. :D

Archived