• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Appointing Ss Teachers

Bro K

• Members

There's a local IFB church in which the adult class selects their teacher(s). Is this a good thing or should the Pastor select the teacher(s). I believe the Pastor should select the teacher(s) since he will be accountable on what is being taught and how the class is conducted. What think ye????

• Members

I'm on our churches Board of Christian Education and when we are in need of a SS teacher we consider our options, decide who would be best to talk with out of the options and then approach them. Our associate pastor sits in on this board.  Once we have secured those who we believe would be good for the position, and have secured their interest and willingness, we send that to our main church board, which our senior pastor sits on, for their approval; or not.

• Members

I'm on our churches Board of Christian Education and when we are in need of a SS teacher we consider our options, decide who would be best to talk with out of the options and then approach them. Our associate pastor sits in on this board.  Once we have secured those who we believe would be good for the position, and have secured their interest and willingness, we send that to our main church board, which our senior pastor sits on, for their approval; or not.

Does your Pastor have the final say??

• Members

Does your Pastor have the final say??

Our pastor has the final influence, but the board as a whole votes on the matter. We've never encountered a situation where the pastor and board are at odds on this. We are a small church, work closely together and everyone knows or is at least familiar with everyone in the church.

• Members

John81,

I usually agree with you, but this time that is a dangerous situation that the Pastor does not have full veto rights. No board should have "authority" in a church. They are servants to the pastoral staff.

Just my opinion though.

• Members

There's a local IFB church in which the adult class selects their teacher(s). Is this a good thing or should the Pastor select the teacher(s). I believe the Pastor should select the teacher(s) since he will be accountable on what is being taught and how the class is conducted. What think ye????

No, the pastor is not the ruler, nor a dictator, the members of the church should decided.

A board, there is nothing about a board in the Bible deciding who is teach or for making church decisions, so using a board to do this would not be scriptural.

On the internet sometime back one church said the way to become a member of their church by letter was to request membership & the board of deacon would decide, neither is that in the Bible. It also stated if you make a profession of faith & want to be baptized the board of deacons would decide if you could be baptized & join their church.

That is my firm opinion on this matter for what its worth.

• Members

John81,

I usually agree with you, but this time that is a dangerous situation that the Pastor does not have full veto rights. No board should have "authority" in a church. They are servants to the pastoral staff.

Just my opinion though.

Well, you aren't actually disagree with me since I didn't establish the church governance. Our church runs on the congregational model. The members of the church vote on who will be on the boards.

I can't imagine a situation where a SS teacher who the pastor, or even our associate pastor, didn't think was right for the position would be approved by the board.

• Members

I agree that it should be a pastoral decision. He is the one the adult members appointed to be the representative leader of the church and is the one accountable to God for that flock. When you get people in a group they become fickle and unobjective, often to the point of selecting the most popular as opposed to the most qualified. The pastor is the one spiritually empowered and gifted to lead the church. However, if he does make a mistake and select the wrong teacher, the members have the opportunity to vote with their feet and not attend that class. It's also not an irreversible decree. A pastor should recognize and be sensitive to the needs of the class and select an appropriate teacher for them and also have the humility to remove and replace that teacher if it is not working out.

• Members

I agree that it should be a pastoral decision. He is the one the adult members appointed to be the representative leader of the church and is the one accountable to God for that flock. When you get people in a group they become fickle and unobjective, often to the point of selecting the most popular as opposed to the most qualified. The pastor is the one spiritually empowered and gifted to lead the church. However, if he does make a mistake and select the wrong teacher, the members have the opportunity to vote with their feet and not attend that class. It's also not an irreversible decree. A pastor should recognize and be sensitive to the needs of the class and select an appropriate teacher for them and also have the humility to remove and replace that teacher if it is not working out.

This is what I believe based on 1Timothy 3: 4-5

vs 4: "One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;  vs5: (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Archived