• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Lords Supper Should Be Done Right

The Glory Land

• Members

I have been to a church who observes this as the Lord leads and not on a set schedule and I have attended churches who observe it once a month.

I believe this is an area the Bible does not specifically "spell out"  how often or a set way for all churches but rather as pastors are led.  

More important:  Taking communion unworthily; leading to illness, severe trials, death .... all kinds of serious repercussions.

1 Corinthians 11:27-28 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 

• Administrators

My OPINION.....weekly or monthly is too often. Familiarity breeds contempt sort of thing. Do it too often and people get blasé.

But that is my opinion only.....

I would agree there -my point when I asked TGL why not both was what I mentioned earlier - it's a local assembly call.  I know our church does not have it at an appointed time.  We do observe it, when our pastor believes that we need to take the time as a church to examine ourselves (and I think he would wholeheartedly agree that too often becomes too much).  We observe it probably two times/year.

• Members

Anyone ever heard of a Love Feast?  A person told me that they missed observing the Lord's Supper this way, everyone taking one or two of those little party sandwiches and telling the congregation what they were thankful for. Ohh, and they washed each other's feet too.  

Until yesterday, I had never heard of such a thing and it is certainly not Scriptural.  This was in a Grace Brethren Church, whatever that is.

• Administrators

Anyone ever heard of a Love Feast?  A person told me that they missed observing the Lord's Supper this way, everyone taking one or two of those little party sandwiches and telling the congregation what they were thankful for. Ohh, and they washed each other's feet too.  

Until yesterday, I had never heard of such a thing and it is certainly not Scriptural.  This was in a Grace Brethren Church, whatever that is.

That sounds more like a thanksgiving service with food... :coverlaugh:

The washing of the feet would be something that I think would be left up to each church.  Some churches teach it as part of the Lord's Supper due to the example Christ set during the actual supper. It isn't, or Paul would have mentioned it in Corinthians. But teh doing of it isn't wrong (just not really part of the ordinance). 

Archived