• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hair And Cover

allen32

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Word of God declares who is saved.

2 Corinthians 6:17 (KJV) 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,

2 Corinthians 6:18 (KJV) 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

God declares those who remain in idolatry are not His.

You sure are adamant about defending roman catholic lies lately, John. Not good at

Are you denying that Scripture says there will be immature Christians, saved folks, who will have nothing to show from this life that they were even His, yet they are saved?

You are tying maturity in Christ with salvation and that's not what Scripture presents. We are saved by grace through faith, and nothing else.

How fast one matures in Christ is between them and the Lord. Some folks mature quickly, some at a more moderate pace, some slowly or even very slowly, and some hardly at all; yet each one is saved and will be with Christ for eternity. Scripture is clear about this.

One of the reasons so many mature slowly is because of our (all born again Christians in general, especially in America it seems) failure to disciple new, young and immature believers.

• Members

Are you denying that God says "Come out and I will receive you?" 

What part of "Come out" do you not understand?

God said "Come out, and be ye separate saith the Lord, and I will receive you.  And I will be a Father unto you..."

God will not be a Father unto them until they come out of idolatry.

• Members

Ok, but it seems to me you're making an inaccurate and unfair accusation.  He's just posting scripture; accept it or reject it on the premise provided.

As for a lady's covering, I love my wife's and daughters' long hair and though they seldom wear them anymore, they all look cute in a hat!  

I know you are right when you say your ladies look cute in their hats! Women look beautiful in their hats, and I think that's by design.

I miss the ladies in their dresses and church hats that I used to see so much of when I was a child.

• Members

Are you denying that God says "Come out and I will receive you?" 

What part of "Come out" do you not understand?

Those verses are speaking to those already saved. They won't become any more saved by coming out any more than they will be any less saved if they don't. If they do come out they will be drawing nigh unto God and He will draw nigh unto them. If they fail to come out, they are still saved, they can't and won't lose their salvation, but they will be allowing things come between then and the Father, thus hampering their growth in the Lord.

We can't tie any work to salvation. That's not what Scripture teaches. Works should come after salvation, but there is no set time table or set order of just when or in what order the Lord will deal with believers in these matters.

As Scripture says, who are we to judge another's servants, the Lord will deal with the works of His people, it's not for us to declare the state of their salvation.

• Members

I disagree. There were both saved and unsaved in the Church at Corinth.

1 Corinthians 6:11 (KJV) 11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

There is no such thing as a saved idolater.

Revelation 22:15 (KJV) 15 For without [are] dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Paul was addressing unsaved in 2 Corinthians 6. He said God would not receive them, nor be their Father unless the separated themselves from idolatry.

• Members

That's fine - you go ahead and add works to salvation.
As for me, I will stick with God when he says that salvation is by grace through faith and not of works.

You can not know the hearts of other men and you can not say that there are no saved men in the catholic church.
There is no man saved BECAUSE of the catholic church but there are some saved in spite of it.
Yes they shouldn't stay there, but it is no greater sin than many other sins. It is no worse than say the sin of backbiting, or the sin of causing strife among God's people, or of harbouring bitterness in the heart.
If a man must forsake every sin to be saved then I do not know of ANY man personally who is saved by that standard.

• Members

Ok, but it seems to me you're making an inaccurate and unfair accusation.  He's just posting scripture; accept it or reject it on the premise provided.

As for a lady's covering, I love my wife's and daughters' long hair and though they seldom wear them anymore, they all look cute in a hat!  

1 corinthians 11:15 if your wife and daughters have long hair that there cover. 

• Administrators

Wow. Does this thread need to be closed?  Where is respect for the OP's request to get back on topic?  Instead, we have arguing and folks casting aspersion on things that have nothing to do with the topic.  Get back on topic or this thread will close.  Period. (and feel free to think I'm being bossy...I am)

• Administrators

The link below is to a book written by Pastor (now Evangelist) Randy Starr called The Head Covering.  I have it and it's pretty good.  The description is: 

This 40+ page book explains in a simple, step-by-step method that the Bible does not command women to wear an artificial head covering. The 9 chapter book includes: chapters on historical and cultural aspects, verse by verse discussion of the 1 Cor. 11:3-16, a thorough examination of the meaning of cover and uncover, as well as an Appendix with quotes from popular authors on this topic. Submission is commanded. However, the biblical sign of that submission is not an artificial head covering.

A pastor is faced with folks who need to know the answer to this question of whether they need to wear an artificial head covering or not. Here is a brief, yet thorough book he can place in their hands. May God use this volume to clear the air for many honest seekers.

http://starr-ministries.com/main_publications.html#!/~/product/category=2628490&id=11764024

• Members

Don't get me wrong, swath.  It has nothing to do with the scriptures Brother Jerry was posting.  I love the word of God and have always held to the KJV.  Jerry also is a very good IFB man of God.  My point is, I know several saved Roman Catholic priests.  My sister's priest is one of them.  When visiting my mom, some time back, in her nursing home... my MIL asked this priest how he knew for sure he was going to heaven.  She also told him why she left the RCC.  Well, this priest was not offended and gave a Biblical response.  He said nothing about works. BTW, my MIL is the most godly woman in my life.  I mentioned this before, but almost a year ago, my former FIL passed on.  The RCC priest, at the funeral home, preached like a Baptist preacher.  He even gave the salvation message.  After that service, I was able to witness to a Roman Catholic man b/c of the priest's message on salvation.  I also attended 7th-8th grade in parochial school.  The assistant priest was also a born again Christian.   Sadly, the Diocease of Cleveland shipped him off to San Salvadore. My parents were so upset, saying that the Vatican gets rid of the best of them.  I didn't realize it at the time, but he was preaching from the word of God, from the altar, in the RCC church.  A saint in my former IFB church, told me about it years later.  He also said my 8th grade History teacher was born again.  They got rid of her, too.  My 7th grade Math teacher taught from the 1970's Hippy Bible, "The Way."  I didn't know that until later, after this gentleman from my former IFB church told me that.  However, I vaguely remember the Bible, and later bought a copy of it.  My memories had returned.  The church kept Sr. Maurice, though.  My husband, who was raised in the parochial school from 1st grade to 8th grade, told me about a black priest who was a Bible believing Christian, as well.  Then, the Diocese of Cleveland got rid of him, too.  Joe couldn't remember where he shipped him off to, though.

I have no problem with long hair.  I actually like my hair long, but have trouble with it b/c it is so unruly.  I am a little bit Spanish, as the Spanish Armada, docked on the shores of Ireland and bread with the Irish women many years ago.  There are one, "Black Irish" woman, as we are called, it each of my dad's sibling's families.  I am it.  My hair takes a lot of work.  I spend over an hour on it to blow dry and straighten it, otherwise it swamps my whole face.  I am also 1/4 German Jew, on my mother's side of the family.  According to the Beis Din, the highest Rabbinical Council in Judaism, I am halachically a Jew, b/c the women in my mom's family are Jewish.  Although, I don't believe in Jewish law... I believe in DNA.  Anyway, my mom and I searched several geneology sites, years back, and discovered her mother's ancestry b/c it was such a mystery.  Her grandmother hid her Jewishness, b/c of the Russian Pograms.  Her parents inserted an "i" into the Jewish name to make it look non Jewish.  My mom's grandmother married a RC Irish man and came to the USA from Baden-Baden (The Black Forest) of Germany.  My sister and her family visited a few years back.  Anyway, why am I telling you this?  Well, I love hair coverings.  I always have.  When I was a child, my sister and I used to wear a bonnet to church.  I am leaning to wearing a scarf, as one of my doctors is married to a Muslim man, and the girls in her office wear scarves.  I live on the westside of Cleveland in a highly populated Muslim area.  The eastside of town is highly Jewish.  Both Jewish and Muslim women wear scarves and the Jewish women sometimes wear wigs.  These are the Torah Observant Jews, which is equivalent to a Bible Believing Christian.  When I go for my follow up check up in a few months, at my doctor's office, I am going to ask the one of the Palestinian American women, in the office, how she ties her scarves.  Also, two Syrian American women trim and style my hair when needed.  Although they are not Islamic, rather Maronite Catholic, I could also ask Ramia and Bascall to help me.  Also, if you could please pray for their salvation, swath?  I have been witnessing to them for a couple of months.  Thanks in advance.  Sorry, for the length of my post.  I just wanted to clear the air and give you a bit of my testimony.

BTW, I just know your daughters are adorable in those hats.  :)    I always loved to wear them when I was a little girl.  I was always a "girly girl."  It would be so nice if those styles would come back. 

Thanks for the background.  My wife is Puerto Rican and it sounds like you both have the same hair, takes over an hour to blow dry straight.  I never heard of so many bible preachin' Priests.  That is good.  The catholic church I attended had a communist as one of its priests!

And yes, we will pray for their salvation.

A saved person will not remain a catholic

Charles Chiniquy?  What is the length of time that a saved Catholic has before they ought to leave the popery?  I attended but never felt part of a catholic church for about two years after the Lord saved me.  Some people continue in error for decades, unto their deaths, and they are saved.  

• Administrators

Thanks for the background.  My wife is Puerto Rican and it sounds like you both have the same hair, takes over an hour to blow dry straight.... 

Charles Chiniquy?  What is the length of time that a saved Catholic has before they ought to leave the popery?  I attended but never felt part of a catholic church for about two years after the Lord saved me.  Some people continue in error for decades, unto their deaths, and they are saved.  

Okay, I'm going to be kind and assume you didn't see the back to topic request. Only it's not really a request.  Chiniquy, popery, and the Catholic church have nothing to do with this thread (unless it is talking about the Catholic church's stance on hair and covering).  alan has requested twice for folks to stay on topic.  I have also said it twice.  I fail to see why folks can't understand four requests.  

Please be respectful of alan and stay on topic.  If you and others wish to discuss Chiniquy and popery, begin another thread.  DO NOT continue discussing it in this thread.  Thank you.

• Members

Okay, I'm going to be kind and assume you didn't see the back to topic request. Only it's not really a request.  Chiniquy, popery, and the Catholic church have nothing to do with this thread (unless it is talking about the Catholic church's stance on hair and covering).  alan has requested twice for folks to stay on topic.  I have also said it twice.  I fail to see why folks can't understand four requests.  

Please be respectful of alan and stay on topic.  If you and others wish to discuss Chiniquy and popery, begin another thread.  DO NOT continue discussing it in this thread.  Thank you.

Even knowing the RCC is a false religionist institution, myself and many folks were very dismayed back in the day when the RCC no longer required nuns to wear the habit.

Okay, that's my main contribution to this headcovering thread as for a connection with the RCC. :blink:

From a personal perspective, I still love to see ladies in their church hats, even though it's very rare anymore.

Archived