• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hair And Cover

allen32

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lots of the posts are :ot: ASOD.  LOL 

Below is a commentary by Matthew Henry on his comment on the creation of Eve.

"If a man is the head, she [woman] is the crown, a crown to her husband, the crown of the visible creation.  The man was dust refined, but the woman was double-refined, one remove further from the earth. . . The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved. " ~ Amen

• Members

Lots of the posts are :ot: ASOD.  LOL 

Below is a commentary by Matthew Henry on his comment on the creation of Eve.

"If a man is the head, she [woman] is the crown, a crown to her husband, the crown of the visible creation.  The man was dust refined, but the woman was double-refined, one remove further from the earth. . . The woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved. " ~ Amen

Do you think in the eyes of God that the man & woman are equal? That all people are created equal?

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Plus to me the Bible teaches only men can be pastors, & only men can teach men, that is not teaching all of us are equal.

I know that our country says all people are born equal, yet to me the Bible never has taught that.

• Members

No, I do not believe that brother.  Before my salvation, I didn't believe it, either.  The RCC does teach some Biblical things.  One of those is that a woman cannot preach, but she can teach.  That is taught at a very early age.  Also, my mom taught her daughters how to be good wives and mothers.  I am 3/4 Irish.  Culturally speaking, the Irish woman are like the Italian women.  Our husbands are head of the household.  I knew this growing up, as my mom taught through example.  Just prior to me going to the IFB church, a music teacher, at work, invited me to her Methodist church.  I was appauled that she said her pastor was a woman.  I was shocked, in fact.  She thought it would entice me to go to her church.  It was not the way I was taught, nor did it impress me one iota.  I knew it was wrong.  Joyce Meyers has never impressed me, with her liberated attitude.  What is she still preaching for, as she found out what God's word had to say on this topic, after she started making her money?  Actually, before my mom got saved, she watched Joyce Meyers one time and was offended by her role as "female pastor." 

I have always believed, before salvation, in moral teachings and values.  Both of my parents were/are "Old School"... raised in the Great Depression, the Greatest Generation.  The Bible showed me what was already installed in my brain and heart.  Joe is the head of my household, just as my dad was head of my childhood household and Joe's dad is head of his.  I am no "doormat" as I was an a very abusive first marriage, but even then, I was a submissive woman.  I have a few great books on a women being a man's helpmeet, as well.

The reason I posted this, is because it shows how a man loves his wife.  It is taken from a book I own called, "All the WOMEN of the Bible"... by Herbert Lockyer.  Two of my SIL's are graduates of the Bible college at Cleveland Baptist Church.  This book is part of the required reading for the course in Bible study.  It is a history of the women of the Bible, and what contributions to God's word, these women had.  It is hope for those women in abusive marriages, where their husband tramples on them.  While I believe in obedience to Joe, I cannot condone abuse.  Thankfully, I have never been abused by Joe, as I was in my first marriage.  Had I not left that highly abusive first marriage, most likely, I wouldn't be alive to type these words.  Praise the Lord for godly husbands! 

• Moderators

Do you think in the eyes of God that the man & woman are equal? That all people are created equal?

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Plus to me the Bible teaches only men can be pastors, & only men can teach men, that is not teaching all of us are equal.

I know that our country says all people are born equal, yet to me the Bible never has taught that.

And it is this way of understanding scripture that causes so much radical rebellion and disobedience.

Its not a matter of 'equality' as human understand it. The Bible says that in Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, nor male or female.

Now I realize that in this world there IS male and female, because the Bible cleaqrly lays out rules of who can do what, but is it really a metter of equality?

The order is Father, Son, Man, Woman.  So let me ask, is Jesus the Son less than Jehovah the Father? Of course not, not in eternity, but in the necessity of order for this time, Jesus has accepted a position below the Father. So in the big scheme of things, the woman is no less than the man, but in this time, she is placed in a lower position in the order.

But this has nothing to do with equality-each perso is equally in need of salvation by Jesus Christ, each person is equally saved and in eternity, each person will be fuly equal.

And if we want to say that women are unequal because the Lord has disallowed them to do certain things yet, then man is certainly unequal because wehave been disallowed to do ne of the most important things in this life: to produce life-women have the babies, they supply the next generation-what a privilege! Yes men add to the process, but the woman does the most important part and without them, without that which the Lord designed them to do, there would be no human race. NO one for the man to teach and preach to, no family to be head of.

• Members

Amen, Brother Ukelelemike.  One must also keep in mind that although Christ was God in the flesh he was also the son of man.  He was the first man, on earth, to treat women with full respect.  Our Lord and Saviour did that for women.  I wasn't until I walked into an IFB church that I was treated with respect.  In the RCC I was looked down upon, because of my divorce.  My IFB church embraced me with the same love and respect that the Lord embraces me with, daily.  I no longer felt like "the woman at the well"... b/c in actuality I was not.  The RCC made me feel this way. 

John 15:13... "No greater love hath (had) no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

• Members

Wow, this hair and covering stuff must be really important stuff to warrant 90 posts!

Someone just needs to go back to the title and alter it a little.  :D  There is a lot of good stuff on here!  The last few comments are really getting to the heart of the matter, though.  It is all about gender roles and submission to authority the way God has ordained it.  We either do it willingly the way it is intended or we fight it tooth and nail in the gray, and sometimes not-so-gray areas!

• Members

No, I do not believe that brother.  Before my salvation, I didn't believe it, either.  The RCC does teach some Biblical things.  One of those is that a woman cannot preach, but she can teach.  That is taught at a very early age.  Also, my mom taught her daughters how to be good wives and mothers.  I am 3/4 Irish.  Culturally speaking, the Irish woman are like the Italian women.  Our husbands are head of the household.  I knew this growing up, as my mom taught through example.  Just prior to me going to the IFB church, a music teacher, at work, invited me to her Methodist church.  I was appauled that she said her pastor was a woman.  I was shocked, in fact.  She thought it would entice me to go to her church.  It was not the way I was taught, nor did it impress me one iota.  I knew it was wrong.  Joyce Meyers has never impressed me, with her liberated attitude.  What is she still preaching for, as she found out what God's word had to say on this topic, after she started making her money?  Actually, before my mom got saved, she watched Joyce Meyers one time and was offended by her role as "female pastor." 

I have always believed, before salvation, in moral teachings and values.  Both of my parents were/are "Old School"... raised in the Great Depression, the Greatest Generation.  The Bible showed me what was already installed in my brain and heart.  Joe is the head of my household, just as my dad was head of my childhood household and Joe's dad is head of his.  I am no "doormat" as I was an a very abusive first marriage, but even then, I was a submissive woman.  I have a few great books on a women being a man's helpmeet, as well.

The reason I posted this, is because it shows how a man loves his wife.  It is taken from a book I own called, "All the WOMEN of the Bible"... by Herbert Lockyer.  Two of my SIL's are graduates of the Bible college at Cleveland Baptist Church.  This book is part of the required reading for the course in Bible study.  It is a history of the women of the Bible, and what contributions to God's word, these women had.  It is hope for those women in abusive marriages, where their husband tramples on them.  While I believe in obedience to Joe, I cannot condone abuse.  Thankfully, I have never been abused by Joe, as I was in my first marriage.  Had I not left that highly abusive first marriage, most likely, I wouldn't be alive to type these words.  Praise the Lord for godly husbands! 

Many do not know that Matthew Henry is a Presbyterian.

• Members

And it is this way of understanding scripture that causes so much radical rebellion and disobedience.

Its not a matter of 'equality' as human understand it. The Bible says that in Christ there is no Jew or Gentile, nor male or female.

Now I realize that in this world there IS male and female, because the Bible cleaqrly lays out rules of who can do what, but is it really a metter of equality?

The order is Father, Son, Man, Woman.  So let me ask, is Jesus the Son less than Jehovah the Father? Of course not, not in eternity, but in the necessity of order for this time, Jesus has accepted a position below the Father. So in the big scheme of things, the woman is no less than the man, but in this time, she is placed in a lower position in the order.

But this has nothing to do with equality-each perso is equally in need of salvation by Jesus Christ, each person is equally saved and in eternity, each person will be fuly equal.

And if we want to say that women are unequal because the Lord has disallowed them to do certain things yet, then man is certainly unequal because wehave been disallowed to do ne of the most important things in this life: to produce life-women have the babies, they supply the next generation-what a privilege! Yes men add to the process, but the woman does the most important part and without them, without that which the Lord designed them to do, there would be no human race. NO one for the man to teach and preach to, no family to be head of.

So holding to Bible teachings causes problems & troubles? Your absolutely right, the world hates Bible teachings, just as they hated Jesus, that's why they hung Him on the cross.

• Members

Every atheist I have ever known has wore shoes.  Better get rid of your shoes or you might be mistaken for an atheist.

Every buddhist monk is bald.  Better never let that hair fall our or you might be mistaken for a buddhist monk.

Every JW goes grocery shopping, better stop going to the store.   Don't want to imitate the JW's.

The pink ribbon does not represent Komen.  It represents breast cancer awareness.

That's true.

Also, Mormon men have short hair so we better not judge one another based upon hair. Better to actually get to know who someone is before making a judgment.

• Members

Someone just needs to go back to the title and alter it a little.  :D  There is a lot of good stuff on here!  The last few comments are really getting to the heart of the matter, though.  It is all about gender roles and submission to authority the way God has ordained it.  We either do it willingly the way it is intended or we fight it tooth and nail in the gray, and sometimes not-so-gray areas!

Man hates authority, submission, until they've completely surrendered to the Savior.

• Members

Many do not know that Matthew Henry is a Presbyterian.

I don't care, Jerry.  At one time the Presbyterians taught right out of the KJV, strong doctrine included.  Not all Christians are Baptist's, Jerry.  Numerous evangelists, in past history, were often times not Baptists.  Our country and world is filled with men of God who preached the word of God, correctly, yet weren't Baptist.  You are starting to sound like a "Baptist Brider."  I am not one.  Baptists aren't the only ones going to heaven.  The requirement for heaven is accepting the Lord Jesus Christ, as Personal Saviour.  And, knowing that salvation is not by works, but by Christ's shed blood on the Cross of Calvary.  A personal relationship with the King of Kings and Lord of Lord is exquisite, no words can describe that.  While I am prone to the Baptist faith, given the rich history, and knowing we hold to the teachings of the early church, I certainly don't believe that only Baptists are the only people going to heaven.  That isn't scriptural.  We will be surprised, one day, who will will see in heaven, and believe it or not, some Baptists aren't going to make it.  A denomination does not get people an entrance key into the Kingdom of heaven.  The requirement is so simple.  Complicating God's word is what confuses people.  I prefer to keep the message simple.  Christ certainly did.  Aren't we supposed to carry on the message that Christ taught? 

• Moderators

Though I am not a Baptist Brider either -- just for clarification: Briders generally don't teach that only Baptists are going to Heaven, they teach (again, for the most part) that only properly baptized Baptists will be in the Bride of Christ. All other saved people will be guests and attendants.

Not my stance but mentioned for accuracy sake.

Archived