• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hair And Cover

allen32

• Members

Somebody else said this, but I don't think I've ever met a man who couldn't tell the difference between a man and a woman when looking at them from behind. Men and women tend to have differently shaped bodies.

:scratchchin: Hmmm.  You must live in a "skinny person" state.  Believe me, my family has seen several people each year that fit that description.  If you CAN figure it out, after a few minutes......should you really have to look the person's body over that well......is the question!  Not to mention the idea of whether or not it is proper to do so--would be my point.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:scratchchin: Hmmm.  You must live in a "skinny person" state.  Believe me, my family has seen several people each year that fit that description.  If you CAN figure it out, after a few minutes......should you really have to look the person's body over that well......is the question!  Not to mention the idea of whether or not it is proper to do so--would be my point.

No, I just live in a state where men and women are different.

• Members

No, I just live in a state where men and women are different.

Well, enjoy it.  I see people who go to store in their pajamas, and men and women often dress gender neutral.  Men wear pink and purple proudly (not just the ones who are....full of "pride") Where women are just as tattooed as the men are (that is saying something in itself--arms, neck, face....it seems anything goes)  both genders wear the most outlandish adornments on their faces, I refuse to call it jewelry, and where people who are full-figured can confuse just about anyone when the women do not wear make-up, have a tapered man's haircut or butch, and men look as if they need a woman's garment on top more than some women do.  This, of course, is not everyone, but it isn't rare either.  It confuses my 5yr. old terribly.  I can say without a doubt, that I so much appreciate it when men who have long hair have the consideration to wear a beard. 

• Members

You must be very young. Pink used to be a popular color for men.

I'm 41.  I grew up in the 80's, and in the farm community I grew up in, if a boy came to school wearing that......he'd been beat up.  Not that it was right, but that's what would have happened. 

• Members

I'm 41.  I grew up in the 80's, and in the farm community I grew up in, if a boy came to school wearing that......he'd been beat up.  Not that it was right, but that's what would have happened. 

Funny, but I'm 47 and I grew up in the 80s in a farm community in rural Alabama. Even thought we were a rural farm community, we still had TV and Miami Vice still made pink a very popular color for men. It may look silly and dated now, but a pink t shirt under a white linen jacket with the sleeves rolled up, Docksiders (no socks), a pair of Ray Bans, and a couple days growth of beard was the epitome of cool at that time. I also had a couple of pink dress shirts.

What's more, my mother loves to tell the story of how, when she met my dad at a party in 1956, he was wearing a pink shirt.

• Members

Funny, but I'm 47 and I grew up in the 80s in a farm community in rural Alabama. Even thought we were a rural farm community, we still had TV and Miami Vice still made pink a very popular color for men. It may look silly and dated now, but a pink t shirt under a white linen jacket with the sleeves rolled up, Docksiders (no socks), a pair of Ray Bans, and a couple days growth of beard was the epitome of cool at that time. I also had a couple of pink dress shirts.

What's more, my mother loves to tell the story of how, when she met my dad at a party in 1956, he was wearing a pink shirt.

What is "cool" comes and goes.  It could be said that gauging, tattoos, smoking, drinking, marijuana use, rock music etc. has been labeled "cool" at times, too, and popularized by Hollywood, but that doesn't mean we should do it.  I know, those are more extreme examples, but it is still the same point.  Our focus as Christians ought to be not on what is popular.  Just because a few people make it popular to go against the grain by wearing feminine colors, does not all of a sudden mean Christians ought to do it too.  This will likely offend a few people.  I'm sorry, and I'll state right here and now--it is JUST my opinion, and our family standard, ok?  (You all have your right to your own, and I won't think less of you for it)  I tell my sons that just because all of those shirts come in literally every color in the men's dept. doesn't mean that they should wear them!  There are men out there who WANT to dress effeminate for other reasons.  Do I, as a woman, want those men over in the women's section looking for a pink t-shirt?  No.  Do I want them in the women's dressing room because it is more convenient?  No.  They made male shirts in those colors and sold them because there was a perceived market for them at some point.....even before it became really popular in the mainstream lately, and those male shirts are in the men's dept. for that particular market.  If you think that's over-the-top, men, ask yourself where you would draw the line?  If what you perceive as a woman's blouse came in your size and was in the men's dept. would you buy it and where it just because it was there?  :twocents:  I will go hide, now.  :hide:

• Members

As for men wearing long hair?  My pastor told a man, with long hair once, that if he wanted to where his hair long he had to keep all the commandments that the Jews kept in the O.T.  Sadly, this man, was very worldly.  He and his wife drank and smoked a lot.  He died of a heart attack at an early age.  His wife has Cancer.  They wanted to have a street ministry.  My FIL, the deacon of my church, told them that they would have to clean up their act first.  That didn't go over too well with this couple. 

The Bible says it is a shame for men ....

1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 

As far as someone being told to clean up their act first before being used by the Lord- good thing Jesus did not expect His disciples to be perfect when he called them.  surprised%2Bemoticon.png

Or God to expect Moses to be perfect when he called him, Moses was so unsure of himself but God used him greatly!

PTL God did not expect me to be cleaned up first........angel%2Bemoticon.png

• Members

1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 

As far as someone being told to clean up their act first before being used by the Lord- good thing Jesus did not expect His disciples to be perfect when he called them.  surprised%2Bemoticon.png

Or God to expect Moses to be perfect when he called him, Moses was so unsure of himself but God used him greatly!

only god can clean you. we didn't live in the old testament only if we did we would have to kill animals but jesus died for use i just ask about hair and cover that all. 

• Members

My FIL quoted the scripture to this man, G20.  He directed him to what the Bible had to say, first.  However, this man was very rebellious.  Both he and his wife were.  If you knew them, you would understand.  They were the type of couple who loved to cause strife in the church.  Their children were the same way.

• Administrators

I didn't get the impression that the man in candle's example was being told to clean up for perfection... :icon_smile:   It is a truth that when one ministers within the local church, there needs to be standards.  If someone refuses to give up their booze, drugs, and immorality (or, indeed, their long hair, if they are male), it would be an unwise pastor who okayed them working in a ministry, let alone leading one.  Rebellion breeds rebellion.  And, really - how is someone to grow if they are not pointed to what God says about how we are to live?  There is no question as to what God says about men's hair length...the choice would remain with the man as to whether or not he would obey.  Not obeying would keep him from certain areas of service.  Hence, to be best used would mean to cut the hair...

And as has been noted, long hair on men is normally a mark of rebellion.  In Bible times, it was often a mark of rebellion as well. Busts from that time period show that short hair on men was customary.

In the days of the Nazarites (under the law), it was a mark of separation on a man (or woman) who had vowed the vow of the Nazarite.  Long hair on men was not common then, and so for a man to have long hair made him stand out.  It was an outward sign of the vow.  There were, of course, two other requirements, but the hair was the most visible.  Women who vowed the vow didn't stand out so much during the vow.  But to end the vow, the hair had to be shaved and burned.  For both women and men.  So, men who vowed wore long hair for the duration. Women who did had shaved heads afterward.   :eye:

Archived