• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hair And Cover

allen32

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, I would love to wear a head scarf or a wig, like Orthodox/Hasidic women.  I could cover my hair and not have to worry about upkeeping it, daily.  :icon_smile:   It is sad that the way the Jewish women dress, put IFB women to shame. 

If a man wears his hair long, like back in Biblical times, then he should act like the men during these times.  And, that isn't going to happen anytime soon.  :coverlaugh: 

Styles come and go these days.  Anymore, we just roll with the trends.  However, a women's head covering should be her hair, as ASOD mentioned above. 

• Members

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Yes, there's always been men who had long hair, men who do as they wish & listen not to our Great God & His Word.

When I was young many women wore hats & or scarves, seems that has stopped for the most part. However I know that around here some of the black women were hats to church.

I guess this has been more than 12 years back I preached in a church & one woman has a hat on, brought back many fond memories.

• Members

Jerry, I went to an IFB church for years, where a woman started a group of women wearing hats or bonnets.  It was so sweet.  They looked like Southern Bells.  Nice hats that matched their outfits.  In the black IFB churches in my area, the women also wear hats.

As for men wearing long hair?  My pastor told a man, with long hair once, that if he wanted to where his hair long he had to keep all the commandments that the Jews kept in the O.T.  Sadly, this man, was very worldly.  He and his wife drank and smoked a lot.  He died of a heart attack at an early age.  His wife has Cancer.  They wanted to have a street ministry.  My FIL, the deacon of my church, told them that they would have to clean up their act first.  That didn't go over too well with this couple. 

• Members

dose anyone know why women don't cover there head anymore and men have longer hair today. back in the day they did. 1corinthians 11:4-7

Why do many women in churches today wear hairstyles that are very short (well above their shoulders and closely cropped to their neck)?  :hide:  Including many preacher's wives?  I think both questions have the same answer. 

• Members

Why do many women in churches today wear hairstyles that are very short (well above their shoulders and closely cropped to their neck)?  :hide:  Including many preacher's wives?  I think both questions have the same answer. 

A lot of women don't want the maintenance, bzmomo7.  My hair isn't that long, as it gets so hard to style.  It swamps my face, if it gets too long.  That's why I would prefer a wig or a scarf.  The Muslim women, in my area, where beautiful scarves.  They sell them at a place I shop, called "Dressbarn."  I might just go with a head scarf, but I have to learn how to tie them up like the Jewish and Muslim women do.

• Members

It was once generally accepted that long hair on a woman was her natural covering in the world and that she was to wear a specific other covering in the church. Other than some black churches, I don't see this too often anymore.

One thing I have noticed is more and more Christian women wearing their hair so short that from the back ones first impression would be that it was a man.

We have one family who attends our church and they have all daughters. It's always a pleasure to watch them all parade into the sanctuary with their pretty long hair and modest dress. I don't recall just how many daughters they have, 6, 7 or 8, I can't recall, and one is now married and she now lives away from here and attends her husbands church there.

We joke with their dad that the more daughters he has with long beautiful hair, the less hair he has!

In our church there is only one man who occasionally attends with long hair. All the other men who attend have short, manly hair.

• Members

dose anyone know why women don't cover there head anymore and men have longer hair today. back in the day they did. 1corinthians 11:4-7

In addition to what ASOD said; in first century Greece (likely the rest of Rome as well), married women wore a head covering (like a scarf or a veil that didn't cover the face) as a display of respect, submission, and deference to their husbands. This was done primarily in official religious or political venues but also in some social gatherings as well. Unwed women did not wear such a head covering. Additionally, priestesses of some pagan gods like Aphrodite and Demeter often shaved their heads. In 1 Corinthians, Paul was dealing with a little bit of chaos and contention brought about by the coalescing of these factors. For whatever reason, women who would normally be expected to wear a head covering were not and it was causing strife in the church. This parallel isn't exact, but imagine if a man's wife today decided to stop wearing her wedding ring and start cutting her husband off in the middle of every point he tried to make in a Sunday School/Adult Bible Study class.

• Members

A womans long hair shows submission.  Those women with short hair usually are the diminant one's in a marriage, or at least in thier own little group.

Long hair on men is defined as Absolom was mentionrd to have, and he too was rebellious.  Something to be said for the hairstyles.

• Members

A lot of women don't want the maintenance, bzmomo7.  My hair isn't that long, as it gets so hard to style.  It swamps my face, if it gets too long.  That's why I would prefer a wig or a scarf.  The Muslim women, in my area, where beautiful scarves.  They sell them at a place I shop, called "Dressbarn."  I might just go with a head scarf, but I have to learn how to tie them up like the Jewish and Muslim women do.

I understand.  Additionally, I believe that what is "long" or "short" is definitely subjective as someone pointed out, as well.  However, that was also why I described "well above the shoulders and CLOSELY CROPPED TO THE NECK".  A woman certainly doesn't have to have a shaved head or a "military cut" to be considered to have short hair.  If one has definitively short hair; however, she cannot at the same time have long hair.  The question is whether or not short hair is the same as a "covering" that is described in the Bible.  There certainly is nothing wrong with wearing a head covering, no matter how conspicuous it might be these days.  I think that your first sentence is the answer why women no longer wear head coverings and also why they choose to wear very short hair styles.......because women don't want (the maintenance, etc. etc.....) It is because women make the conscious choice and few pastors ever (EVER!) venture into the muddy waters of preaching on the subject clearly.  I think they instead probably choose to leave it to the woman's father (if she isn't married) or her husband.  Our family's personal conviction is that never, at any time should someone see one of my daughters or sons from the side or back and question what gender they are....whether it be with hairstyle or clothing etc.  The men in my home do not wear feminine colors or jewelry (other than a wedding ring or watch), their hair is short and tapered to the neck....I will not say it has always been perfectly above the ears like a military cut--and this leaves quite a bit of leeway, in my opinion.  My daughters are taught likewise that they are not to look masculine.  We have asked our children, "Do you want someone to have to look closely at your, ahem, body shape etc. just to try and determine whether you are male or female?"  Yuck.  But that is just our personal conviction.

• Members

Our family's personal conviction is that never, at any time should someone see one of my daughters or sons from the side or back and question what gender they are

Somebody else said this, but I don't think I've ever met a man who couldn't tell the difference between a man and a woman when looking at them from behind. Men and women tend to have differently shaped bodies.

• Members

I understand.  Additionally, I believe that what is "long" or "short" is definitely subjective as someone pointed out, as well.  However, that was also why I described "well above the shoulders and CLOSELY CROPPED TO THE NECK".  A woman certainly doesn't have to have a shaved head or a "military cut" to be considered to have short hair.  If one has definitively short hair; however, she cannot at the same time have long hair.  The question is whether or not short hair is the same as a "covering" that is described in the Bible.  There certainly is nothing wrong with wearing a head covering, no matter how conspicuous it might be these days.  I think that your first sentence is the answer why women no longer wear head coverings and also why they choose to wear very short hair styles.......because women don't want (the maintenance, etc. etc.....) It is because women make the conscious choice and few pastors ever (EVER!) venture into the muddy waters of preaching on the subject clearly.  I think they instead probably choose to leave it to the woman's father (if she isn't married) or her husband.  Our family's personal conviction is that never, at any time should someone see one of my daughters or sons from the side or back and question what gender they are....whether it be with hairstyle or clothing etc.  The men in my home do not wear feminine colors or jewelry (other than a wedding ring or watch), their hair is short and tapered to the neck....I will not say it has always been perfectly above the ears like a military cut--and this leaves quite a bit of leeway, in my opinion.  My daughters are taught likewise that they are not to look masculine.  We have asked our children, "Do you want someone to have to look closely at your, ahem, body shape etc. just to try and determine whether you are male or female?"  Yuck.  But that is just our personal convict

you and me think the same way i have i wife but we do not have kids you never could have kid but i believe i women should have long hair my wife dose. because men and women today went to be the some.

Archived