• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spiritual Adultery

• Members

Romans 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Why is it today that so many Christians have no qualms about committing spiritual adultery? They attest that they are married to Christ Jesus, yet they subject themselves to the bed of the Law by insisting they must obey certain of the Mosaic/Levitic Laws?

The one who professes faith in Christ will never walk in total victory until that one comes to the realization that if he is in Christ, he is freed from the Law.

Galatians 3:24-25 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Does this mean we are free to steal, kill, covet, take the Lord's name in vain, etc.? In the words of the Apostle Paul, God forbid! Those who are Christ's have put on Christ. They have no desire to do the things that are evil in God's eyes. They don't want to steal, kill, covet, take the Lord's name in vain, etc.. Rather, they want to do that which is pleasing in His sight.

1 Timothy 1:8-10 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully; Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

The Law is for the unrighteous. The righteous have been delivered from the Law for they have put on Christ through faith.

Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

The Apostle James wrote "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." If you keep your eyes on Jesus, you will have less occasion to stumble on your journey through life. If you truly love the Lord, you don't need the Law, for you will not want to do the things that require the judgments for breaking the Law.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of Earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His Glory and Grace.

• Members

Tradition, the feeling that some works are still necessary, the Pharisee aspect which makes one feel the need to have a checklist of rules they say they follow which makes them feel better while giving them a stick to measure how others measure up to their own level of spirituality.

In Acts we see the Apostles ruled that it wasn't right to burden Christians with the OT law. They presented just a few points for Christians to abide by. Elsewhere we are told not to bind ourselves to the law which no one was ever able to keep anyway and which was done away with by the coming of Christ which fulfilled the law and established the New Covenant.

We are also told that if we love God with all our being and love all others as ourselves, we fulfill all the law without doing anything else.

Christians are called to a far higher calling than law keeping could ever achieve. We are called to allow our hearts to be changed and our minds surrendered to the Lord. If we fully surrender to the Lord, He will lead us in accord with the two great commands that we will be walking in His will.

Archived