• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Anyone Know....

HappyChristian

• Members

There is a young lady I know who would like a study Bible. I have been looking and looking...

The problem is, she is not a big reader. She wants something that is easily readable.  I've looked at the KJV study Bible, but I think it's a bit much for her.  The KJV Woman's Study Bible would be good, but it's got some contributors (there are articles for women in it) that are questionable. 

She has seen a teen study Bible and liked the way it was written (the study part), but it isn't KJV.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

In our church, we give new believers a MacArthur Study Bible (ESV).

Warning issued.....KJV only please.   Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In our church, we give new believers a MacArthur Study Bible (ESV).

Warning issued.....KJV only please.   Thanks!

Serious question. How is simply stating what a church does with regards to this a violation worthy of a warning? Most of us have mentioned other versions in numerous threads for a wide variety of reasons. Isn't the directive for KJO here simply that when we personally quote the Bible it's only to be done in KJ?

• Members

If there was a thumbs down button, I would have clicked it.  MacArthur is a heretic and the ESV is a corrupt MV, not the inerrant KJV.

What I really don't understand is why so many like the Amplified Bible and The Message.

I understand the Amplified Bible is supposed to help expound upon the understanding of a verse but to me their "expounding help" only serves to confuse and muddle the verses. Also, if someone can memorize the mess some Amplified verses are, they could without a doubt memorize the KJ verses which are far shorter and as far as I'm concerned, also far easier to understand.

The Message, which isn't even a translation but rather a paraphrase, to me even seems to be a poor paraphrase. So much of what I've read from that would seem to detract and distract from the actual message of Scripture.

Around this area, some churches which once used the NIV have become upset that with the introduction of the latest "updated and better" version of the NIV (hmmm, if the NIV was so much better than others to begin with, as they claimed, why has it gone through so many revisions over the years?) that they've decided to drop the NIV (refusing to buy the new version now that they no longer offer the previous versions) but most are opting for other MVs rather than the KJB. I don't know about all the churches that have switched but for some reason most of the ones I do know of have switched to the NLT. Why, I really don't know because I think the NLT, if possible, may be even worse than the earlier NIV!

Another plus for the KJB is that those who stick with the KJB don't have to worry about it being discontinued and updated every few years so someone can make more money at a publishing firm. I can pick up the first KJB I ever owned or the newest one I have and they are both the same!

On a rather ironic note, I've noticed that several area pastors who have local radio broadcasts which use some MV have been very often also quoting from the KJB and stating that they think the KJ verse is clearer. Which begs the question as to why they don't just use the KJB to begin with! If I ever have the opportunity to speak with one of these men I'm going to ask them that very question.

Oops, almost forgot about the ESV which got me going to begin with! As far as the ESV goes, which I've not read all of, I do find it better than most MVs but yet flawed and not a replacement for the KJB by any stretch.

• Administrators

One of the Bibles I have is "The Rainbow Study Bible." I love the color coding, as it is easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone. It was the second Bible I ever had and has been very helpful.

Even to someone who has not enjoyed reading and is new to Christianty? She currently reads the ESV. I'm looking for something that can help her make the transition more easily.

I'm glad you have one - you can speak by experience to it. Can you give me some mire description than the publisher had?

• Members

Even to someone who has not enjoyed reading and is new to Christianty? She currently reads the ESV. I'm looking for something that can help her make the transition more easily.

I'm glad you have one - you can speak by experience to it. Can you give me some mire description than the publisher had?

The RAINBOW STUDY BIBLE - Illustrated Reference Edition includes introductions to each book of the Bible.  For example, in the Book of Ezekiel... it says author: Ezekiel, Date Written: Between 593 nd 563 B.C., Time Span: About 22 years... it also gives a Title, Background, Where Written, To Whom, Content, Key Words, Themes, and an Outline.  All verses are color coded giving an explantation of subject headings... God, Discipleship, Love, Faith, Sin, Satan, Salvation, Family, Witnessing, Commandments, History and Prophecy.  They give you a color coded bookmark to make the Bible easier to read.  The Bible also contains pictures, too.  I really like it.  It has been a good guide in Bible study, especially for someone new to the faith.

• Administrators

The RAINBOW STUDY BIBLE - Illustrated Reference Edition includes introductions to each book of the Bible. For example, in the Book of Ezekiel... it says author: Ezekiel, Date Written: Between 593 nd 563 B.C., Time Span: About 22 years... it also gives a Title, Background, Where Written, To Whom, Content, Key Words, Themes, and an Outline. All verses are color coded giving an explantation of subject headings... God, Discipleship, Love, Faith, Sin, Satan, Salvation, Family, Witnessing, Commandments, History and Prophecy. They give you a color coded bookmark to make the Bible easier to read. The Bible also contains pictures, too. I really like it. It has been a good guide in Bible study, especially for someone new to the faith.

Thanks!

• Members

She reads an ESV? Have you condemned her yet?

• Moderators

Well then, I guess it's a good thing I don't take anything you have to say seriously.

She reads an ESV? Have you condemned her yet?

If you have a problem with this site and the majority of its members holding to the KJV for English speaking people, no problem.

If you want to be vocal in your view against that stand or the people with it --- find another forum.

(Said in position as moderator)

• Members

If you have a problem with this site and the majority of its members holding to the KJV for English speaking people, no problem.

If you want to be vocal in your view against that stand or the people with it --- find another forum.

It would have been very nice if a moderator would have stuck up for me in the CCM thread, when another member was going after me committing slander, OLD fashioned preacher.  Just sayin...

• Members

OK. I'll play along: When did I say anything about having a problem with what translation somebody uses?

Archived