• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Anyone Know....

HappyChristian

• Administrators

There is a young lady I know who would like a study Bible. I have been looking and looking...

The problem is, she is not a big reader. She wants something that is easily readable.  I've looked at the KJV study Bible, but I think it's a bit much for her.  The KJV Woman's Study Bible would be good, but it's got some contributors (there are articles for women in it) that are questionable. 

She has seen a teen study Bible and liked the way it was written (the study part), but it isn't KJV.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

My wife likes the KJV Life Application Study Bible. I haven't read the notes/commentary personally though so I can't speak to its accuracy.

I've kind of looked at that, too, but haven't been able to read any of it.  Could you ask her if she thinks it would be good for someone who prefers teen books (as I said, she isn't much of a reader...not slow, just doesn't care to read, and that often hinders understanding) and who has only been saved for a very short time?  Thanks!

• Members

I've kind of looked at that, too, but haven't been able to read any of it.  Could you ask her if she thinks it would be good for someone who prefers teen books (as I said, she isn't much of a reader...not slow, just doesn't care to read, and that often hinders understanding) and who has only been saved for a very short time?  Thanks!

Sure thing!

• Members

I think its a good one to start out with, it was recommend to me by my pastor many years ago when I was just a babe & it has done me good. He was the one who taught me a class one on one outside of our church for two years each & every Monday night. I will always be thankful to him for making such a effort.

I wore my 1st one out, & it was looking quite bad & I had bought a Scofield & was using it. When I was ordained my home church ordained me & told me they are going to present me with a Bible & we would like to know if you have a preference. I said my preference was a Thompson Chain Reference, & that's what they gave me. Since them I've been trying to wear it out too, but being as I do most of my Bible reading & study on my computer its not wearing as fast as my first one.

I do not care for some of the commentary in the Scofield which was recommend to me by a Baptist pastor whom I thought much of. And I was a bit disappointed in some of the study notes

And if they do not read it much, what reading they do do, they will have some great reference verses out beside of the verses they do read that makes it very easy to read many of them. 

For example, beside of Acts 5:17 there's the number 3464 Suffering for Christ, if a person will go to the back to number 3464 they will find these verses written out for them along with a few more reference verses they can look up as they're pasted below.

Ac 5:41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name. (Acts 9:16)

Ro 8:17 ¶ And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. 9Ro. 8:36: 2Co. 1:17; 11:23; Ph3:10; 2Ti. 2:120

Heb 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; 

Jas 5:10 Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience.

1Pe 2:20 For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

1Pe 5:10 ¶ But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.

So it just might be pretty good for such a person who is not reading & studying very much & I think it less likely to lead a person astray that many of the study Bibles. Of course that's just my opinion from my personal experience.

• Administrators

There's the Rainbow Study Bible which is easy to understand.

Also, here's a study bible I would like to get some day. Maybe you can pick one up and let me know how it is?  ;)

http://strandstudybible.com

Hmm - the Rainbow Study Bible does sound interesting.  It might be even better to begin with. I like the idea of color-coded themes.  I wish I could look at copies of both!!

I'm thinking I won't be getting a Strand... :biggrin:

Archived