• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Does Repentence Mean?

• Members

I say the bible is my authority for this reason. Some seem to be denying "turning from sin" is works. Jonah 3:10 proves this without question. Besides that...we are talking about the definition of repent, correct? i submit it is merely a change of mind. To say it is something about sin is A) God is a sinner or B: it has several different definitions. God repents more than anyone in the KJV, the NIV and NKJV take out everytime God repents...so in those bibles case...the definition of repent is changed based on the context in which the word is found. 

Maybe I see where you're coming from. Repent has only one root meaning. It basically means to turn from or against something. God's creation had "turned against" him in Genesis 6, God "turned against" the evil he intended for Nineveh when the Assyrians turned against their sin, in faith toward God, in their hearts. That took place BEFORE they put on sackcloth in Jonah 3 because the Bible says they BELIEVED the preaching of Jonah. So they didn't merely "turn over a new leaf". Truly. to be saved one cannot merely "turn against" or quit their sin: they must repent in faith toward God. No one has said any different in this thread, to my knowledge. The sense or application of repentance I've been referring to is the following...

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 20:21

• Members

Maybe I see where you're coming from. Repent has only one root meaning. It basically means to turn from or against something. God's creation had "turned against" him in Genesis 6, God "turned against" the evil he intended for Nineveh when the Assyrians turned against their sin, in faith toward God, in their hearts. That took place BEFORE they put on sackcloth in Jonah 3 because the Bible says they BELIEVED the preaching of Jonah. So they didn't merely "turn over a new leaf". Truly. to be saved one cannot merely "turn against" or quit their sin: they must repent in faith toward God. No one has said any different in this thread, to my knowledge. The sense or application of repentance I've been referring to is the following...

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 20:21

Well then....GOOD! lol.  We must not mix service with salvation. There are many bad examples who live ungodly, live a life unpleasing to God, I think they will be unhappier than any unsaved person. There are some very good christians that repent daily, pray daily, read their bibles daily, win souls every week, and then there's the rest of us. lol. Not sure where I am exactly, but I know I'm growing....so I guess i'm not going backwards!  THIS IS ALL SERVICE. Salvation is all based on if we place 100% of our trust on Christ for eternal life. I believe it helps once we realize we aren't in bondage to sin. We have the power to overcome.  GB

• Members

1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Obviously, had the Thessalonikan's not turned from their idols, they would have revealed that they were still in a lost condition.

2 Corinthians 6:16-18 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

God will not be a Father to those who do not turn from their idols.  Hence, repentance is indeed a necessity.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
(Ezekiel 18:30 KJV)

Does God command sinners to repent from all their sins (transgressions)?