• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Does Repentence Mean?

• Members

You do err, not knowing the scriptures

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Here in Acts 3, Peter is preaching the Gospel of the (Earthly) Kingdom to Israel.  The Messiah must remain in "heaven" until Israel repents.
Heaven is the destiny of the Body of Christ.  Israel will receive its King & Priest when they repent.  They will repent at the end of the Tribulation, and Jesus will return to earth. 

And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.  Exo 19:6a
Edited by beameup

• Members

You do err, not knowing the scriptures

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
Here in Acts 3, Peter is preaching the Gospel of the (Earthly) Kingdom to Israel.  The Messiah must remain in "heaven" until Israel repents.
Heaven is the destiny of the Body of Christ.  Israel will receive its King & Priest when they repent.  They will repent at the end of the Tribulation, and Jesus will return to earth. 

And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation.  Exo 19:6a

:lol:

For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith. 

14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.

18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
Edited by Genevanpreacher

• Members

The greek word metanoia means 'change of mind'

The Word Repent in  English means sorrow

And Repent in theology means sorrow and penitence, apparently the early use of the English word repent only meant sorrow.

I think we need to take the word to mean 'change of mind' because that is what it means, every time we read in the new testament and look at the context.

For example Heb 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

This was written the Hebrew Christians, it means that they are to change their mind about trusting in works of the law.

Ro 11:29 For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. This means if God saves you your saved for good, if He calls you you are called for good. ... etc. check the context and the Bible word, metanoia  not the historical distorted word.

God Bless.

Edited by Old-Pilgrim

• Members

A moral person would not relay need to repent about his views on the Law, he would know good works were good works and sins were sins, he would need to repent about what he believed concerning the Gospel of Jesus Christ in relation to good works.

An moral person who was a drunk and a murderer, and thought nothing of it, would also need to repent about his views on sins and his views of the gospel and the law of God.

I don't think 'Repent and believe the gospel' means turn from your sins and believe the gospel, otherwise that would be the same as saying 'keep the law and believe the gospel, and Paul prayed that preachers of that gospel would be cursed. Acts 15 & Gal 2

• Members

Is repenting work? 

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

No, it is not a work to reconsider something, or to change ones mind, one could do this while laying in bed half asleep, or while hanging on a tree being put to death.

Edited by Old-Pilgrim
typo

• Moderators

That sounds like works, The Bible teaches salvation by faith and not by works.

We were alienated from God Eph 2:12; Eph 2:5 , enemies of God  Jas 4:4, not following God Rom 3:11; , we turn to Him Act_20:21 --- that's an about face. You were trying to read something into what I said that wasn't there.

• Members

I was looking for a verse that says that but didn't find any, so does the Bible say Repentance is a gift from God?

2Ti_2:25  In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

• Members

well

We were alienated from God Eph 2:12; Eph 2:5 , enemies of God  Jas 4:4, not following God Rom 3:11; , we turn to Him Act_20:21 --- that's an about face. You were trying to read something into what I said that wasn't there.

Well I read  >>>repent ie. "to the rear ---- march"<<< that means changing the direction in which one is marching, and although there is a walk taught in Scripture, the word repent is of the heart. we are not saved by what we do, I guess you know that, but you DID say MARCH, so I did not read anything into what you said which wasn't there. But  I am beginning to wonder if you are one of those people who can never admit being wrong.

• Moderators

No, I'm one of those people who don't have time (nor typing ability) to type out every thing in detail (I type using the Biblical system - "Seek and ye shall find"). You're already moving (think broad road, etc) and when you turn to Christ - THAT is still movement.

• Members
And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:  John 16:8
At some point in time, you will be confronted by the Holy Spirit and then you must either turn-away (harden) or turn-to Jesus ("die"). 
When you "die", you will then be "reborn" by the Holy Spirit.  I see a recognition of your absolute sinfulness & the Holiness of God,
but beyond that, I don't see any "works" necessary for salvation.  At the point of receiving the Holy Spirit, you are "sealed unto the day of redemption"
and "baptized" by the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ.  If you died right then, you would be as "saved" as you ever would be.

• Members

One thing "repentance" is not

Repentence is not being remorseful or "sorry", but "sorryness" does work repentance. Judas Iscariot was "sorry" and remorseful, but he never repented.

2 Corinthians 7:10 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears. 6Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus; 7And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more. 8For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. 9Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Even God "repents", the Bible says. But He's never been "sorry" for anything He ever did. The Bible records God as having changed His course of direction, turned against, turned away from, or "changed His mind" from certain things. He "repented" of the evil He was going to do to Nineveh, for instance. Why? because Nineveh "repented" first by turning away from their wickedness IN FAITH. They met God's conditions and God changed His very intentions and "turned away" from destroying them.
If you look at the context, every instance of the word "repent" means the same. And when a human being "repents" toward God he turns away from sin toward God in faith. Repentance toward God is not a work: it is pure faith. That's what the Ninevites Did. The believed the Word of God, spoken by Jonah.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=repent&t=KJV&ss=1#s=s_primary_0_1

• Members

Repentence is not being remorseful or "sorry", but "sorryness" does work repentance. Judas Iscariot was "sorry" and remorseful, but he never repented.

2 Corinthians 7:10 For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears. 6Nevertheless God, that comforteth those that are cast down, comforted us by the coming of Titus; 7And not by his coming only, but by the consolation wherewith he was comforted in you, when he told us your earnest desire, your mourning, your fervent mind toward me; so that I rejoiced the more. 8For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. 9Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing. 10For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Even God "repents", the Bible says. But He's never been "sorry" for anything He ever did. The Bible records God as having changed His course of direction, turned against, turned away from, or "changed His mind" from certain things. He "repented" of the evil He was going to do to Nineveh, for instance. Why? because Nineveh "repented" first by turning away from their wickedness IN FAITH. They met God's conditions and God changed His very intentions and "turned away" from destroying them.
If you look at the context, every instance of the word "repent" means the same. And when a human being "repents" toward God he turns away from sin toward God in faith. Repentance toward God is not a work: it is pure faith. That's what the Ninevites Did. The believed the Word of God, spoken by Jonah.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/search.cfm?Criteria=repent&t=KJV&ss=1#s=s_primary_0_1

Hello HS As I understand it the Greek word means 'change of mind'

the English 'repent' means sorrow, or remorse.

and 'Repent' after a few hundred yeas of theology, it also means sorrow which motivates to action.

In The old testement the word most often translated as Repent means ''a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. breathe strongly; by implication, to be sorry, i.e. (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself)''  This is the one which is used of God in Genesis as regards the creation.

the other one which is only translated AS REPENT a few times  means ''a primitive root; to turn back (hence, away) transitively or intransitively, literally or figuratively (not necessarily with the idea of return to the starting point); generally to retreat; often adverbial, again'' this is usualy addressed to Isreal when translated as repent, but it is used over 1000 times in the OT.

I  got them from the strongs on the sword searcher software.

• Members

Repentence is not being remorseful or "sorry"

He "repented" of the evil He was going to do to Nineveh, for instance. Why? because Nineveh "repented" first by turning away from their wickedness IN FAITH. They met God's conditions and God changed His very intentions and "turned away" from destroying them.

Hi, the nineavites were told in very clear terms 'let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.' works was part of the deal with them for sure, but they were in the days before 'the faith' had been revealed, ie under the works law principle, they were 'saved' from destruction at that time, they weren't reconciled to God in Christ. so if we just take that account of repentance and salvation and apply it to the REAL salvation in Christ, then we will come up with missunderstandings.

Ro 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.